Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Hi again! need opinions please!

Posted by on Jul. 25, 2007 at 7:45 AM
  • 4 Replies
  • 188 Total Views
Im seriously thinking about going back in the Army, but I am worried about my son. He's 4 months old. I've never left him for more than a couple hours at a time.

How do you like being an active duty mom? do you ever regret  not being with your son/daughter? and my biggest question: HAVE YOU EVER BEEN DEPLOYED? and had to be away from your kid?

My husband keep saying "oh the war is going to end soon"  but that isnt any comfort for me!!! I never feared getting deployed when i was single and had no kids, but now its kinda scary. I'm an x-ray tech in the army so i know we can get deployed... some of my friends who went to AIT with me are already deployed

by on Jul. 25, 2007 at 7:45 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
Combat-Mom
by New Member on Jul. 25, 2007 at 11:45 PM
First off, the "war" isn't ending anytime soon. The bases in Iraq are on minimum 10yr plans to build up, military doesn't do that if "we're pulling out". Sorry but true.

Second, I'm a married mother of a 3 yr old, that at 10 months old I had to deploy to Iraq (not my only deployment). Granted I'm lucky as Air Force I only go 6 months, instead of a year. I don't regret the leaving, I knew she had and has a great father to care for her. But I did hate missing the 1st steps, birthday, etc. I love being active duty even with the hard times, it's all in  how you deal with things as they come and your overall personality and personal drive to do what's needed.

Feel free to message me if you have any specific Q's. But I hope this helps a little.
luluslifeisgrt
by New Member on Aug. 4, 2007 at 12:37 AM
I'm in the navy and the mother of 4. I have always made it quite clear that my family comes first, and so far I haven't met any huge obstacles. If I do ever deploy, with a few exceptions i'd only be gone for a few weeks to a couple of months. I've never been apart from my 2 youngest for more than a duty day, but having to separate from my oldest two has prepared me for such an occurrence
TwincessMommy
by New Member on Aug. 6, 2007 at 6:43 PM
Hey Megan, there right the war isnt gonna end soon. They are gonna build bases in iraq and make it a permanent duty staion some time soon. We have put tomuch money into this war to pull out soon so if your worried about deploying then i wouldnt do it.

Ive been in the marine corps for 4 years and i have been deployed but not as a mom. I dont know what i would do if i was away from them for 6months to a year. but if i have to i will.

But on teh upside the military has been pretty family friendly and i always get of work for doc appts or if my twins r sick and i still get payed plus i was on bedrest for 3 months and still got a paycheck... anyways hope i could be som,e help......ttyl
Navygurl76
by on Aug. 17, 2007 at 12:27 AM
Hi Megan,
I am active duty in the Navy and my son was 2 and half when I left on a 7 1/2 month deployment on an Aircraft Carrier... It is hard, but believe it or not it's not as hard as you may think. I thought that I would go insane from missing him so much, but I kept myself busy with college courses and work. Don't get me wrong there were days that I thought about him more then others, but I coped. If you do decide to go back into the Army, never feel guilty about the choice you made. I missed a lot while I was gone, but in the end I know that I was doing the right thing by staying in the Navy because it gives me a chance to give my son a better life.
Good Luck with your decision,
Take Care,
Pilar :)
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)