Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Giving baby meds

Posted by on Mar. 8, 2009 at 3:13 PM
  • 7 Replies
  • 285 Total Views

My 2mo was just put on phenobarb and is having a really hard time taking the meds. anyone have tips to make it easier?

I know babies and medicine is just hard, but he's choking and crying so hard he throws up. I'm using an eyedropper instead of the syringe because it releases the medicine more slowly, less choking. The pacifier medicine thingy doesn't work because he won't suck. He also goes all bug eyed and stops breathing for a second sometimes when he feels the meds in his mouth and then gasps after swallowing. It scary and awful. I don't know if I can handle doing this twice a day for however long it takes.

by on Mar. 8, 2009 at 3:13 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
StephM8199
by New Member on Mar. 9, 2009 at 10:46 AM

Does your baby take his bottle okay? What I used to do with my daughter is just take the nipple from her bottle and put the medicine in there. She would think she was getting her bottle. Also, why don't you talk to your sons doctor about maybe altering the time to give meds to be around feeding time, that way when your baby is hungry you can sneak in the meds?

lacyndarella
by Member on Mar. 9, 2009 at 1:15 PM

Have you tried flavoring the med?  Keppra is flavored already, but when Jimmie first started taking it, he threw it up unless it was flavored again.  It costs like $2.00.

Lacy, Wife to David, Mother to Jimmie.  Happy with life and living it!

melyen
by on Mar. 15, 2009 at 1:19 PM

It came already orange flavored, I don't know if we could put a flovor over that. We tried a medicine pacifier and now he won't take a bottle, he thinks there's medicine inside. He's getting better with the syringe though.

lacyndarella
by Member on Mar. 16, 2009 at 12:17 PM

Keppra comes grape flavored.  I put the flavoring over it...just get the same flavor.  Give it a try.

nicholeluvslucy
by on Apr. 11, 2009 at 8:47 PM

My daughter is on the same medicine and does the same thing your little boy does. I give it to her in the bottle in the morning when she just wakes up so shes too groggy to notice and get mad at me.  In the evening I use the dropper and i just seriously put a few little drops in her mouth at a time so she can't choke on it. She cries and she hates it but at least she's not choking and coughing like she was before. My daughter is on Phenobarbital and Topamax and her hpsarrithmia is almost gone, so I think they're good medications. Keep trying and you can PM me if you want to talk more.

melyen
by on Apr. 12, 2009 at 8:17 PM

Well he's not choking and crying so hard he makes himself sick anymore. Guess he got used to it. His new issue is that he's learned how to spit it out no matter how little I squirt it in. I've started giving him a finger to suck on and squirting it in the corners. It helps keep it in his mouth, but he's starting to get mad at my finger like the medicine is coming out of it. LOL If it's not one thing it's another.

DixieFlower
by on Apr. 12, 2009 at 9:55 PM

I know when our son was in the hospital (he was 3weeks at the time)  a nurse told us to hold his cheeks so it gave him "fish lips" and to put the syringe inside toward his cheek. We did this about the first week he was on the phenobarb. We no longer have to do it because he will actually suck the medicine out of the syringe now, so we don't have to push the plunger.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)