Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What do you think?

Posted by on May. 4, 2007 at 1:21 AM
  • 4 Replies
  • 248 Total Views
A quote from Kim West's Good Night, Sleep Tight:

"As a loving and responsible parent, I believe we have five essential obligations to our children.  We need to take care of their emotional health and their physical health.  We need to give them good nutrition and a good education.  And we need to make sure they know how to sleep.  It's that simple and it's that important."

What does everyone think of this?  While I believe the statement is true in most senses, teaching a child to sleep, at least for me, is not exaclty "simple."  It is the biggest challenge.  That doesn't make it unessential, but I think stating that it is as simple as loving them is not exactly true.  Although I know that the author is not exactly saying that teaching a child to sleep is easy, to me, this statement puts a lot of pressure on a parent. 

What do you all think?  And what do you think of "teaching" a child to sleep?  Right or wrong? Even possible? Thoughts?  Let's get the ball rolling in this group!
by on May. 4, 2007 at 1:21 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
tzuzoo
by New Member on May. 5, 2007 at 1:21 AM
Honestly?  I've raised 6 kids - 4 from birth - and I never had to make sure any of them knew how to sleep.  They instinctively knew "how" to sleep.  I believe it's important to make sure they get adequate rest - and that they are taught that sleep is an important part of our everyday life - but I don't know how you teach someone "how" to sleep.  I just don't get it.  And I agree - getting a kid to go to sleep?  NOT simple OR easy.  I've got a 14 y/o who isn't sleeping right - so maybe I should have learned much sooner that you're supposed to teach your kids to sleep. :)

If you think about it, taking care of your child's emotional health isn't simple or easy either.  Especially when they become adolescents.  It's downright complicated!  And HARD!  Taking care of their physical health is pretty basic if they're already reasonably healthy.  Good nutrition is pretty basic.  Good education isn't easy but it's not terribly complicated.  I homeschool, so I can't call it simple or easy - but I agree with the essence of the statement.

I notice love isn't mentioned.  I guess that's emotional, right?  Where does teaching them right from wrong fit in?  Aren't we obligated to instill a sense morality or values?  Respect for other human beings?  Maybe those fit in the education category?

You know - now that I've broken the statement down, I find it a bit redundant.  Nutrition and sleep are parts of their physical health.  That means there are only 3 things - physical, emotional, and mental (academic).  That, I would agree with.  We have the obligation to provide for our children's physical, emotional, and mental well being.

This made me THINK!  Thanks for posting it! :)

~*~Melody~*~
smdgibbons
by Group Admin on May. 7, 2007 at 1:06 AM
What a great stream of thought Michelle...

The first thing that caught my eye about the quote was also the sleep part. For me, I reluctantly admit I am having a huge issue with the whole sleeping thing.  Braylon is almost 21 mo and he's still co-sleeping and still nursing.  These are both consequences of being perhaps a lazy mom who enjoyed getting as much sleep as I did from the situation.  We're still getting a great night's sleep.  I have indeed tried to stop both (pretty weak attempts, though), but again...the whole no sleep thing has driven me to continue our routine.  SO...when I read about the teaching your kids to sleep...I am thinking that this author is speaking directly to ppl like me..sigh.  Braylon has no concept whatsoever of self-soothing in the middle of the night  when he wakes up. I know this will only get worse if I don't steer us down a new path soon.  Then throw in the fact I've got 5 wks before the next one comes...and wow.  I'm pretty anxious.  (Please no reprimands...grin...believe me, I get enough from my dad & MIL).  Do I deem this as important as the author does? Apparently not at this point.  But I can see how it is important.  She might be referring to the idea too, that kids develop physically and mentally during good uninterrupted sleep. When they can't get it, there are consequences to both aspects.  I'll probably start seeing these unpleasant consequences more in a few months when I'm having problems with the entire family sleeping.  I'm guessing there will be a period when you hear less and less from me online here.

As for the rest of the obligations she refers to, I like how Melody summed it up. Interested in hearing how everyone else's sleep habits are progressing!  :)
mhyoung29
by Member on May. 8, 2007 at 1:06 AM
I was beating myself up for co-sleeping and nursing Dylan to sleep every night.  Every where you turn you hear how "wrong" this is.  But my son is happy, healthy, and thriving.  I too feel that literature like this is aimed at me, and it makes me feel guilty.  But sometimes, I am too tierd.  I need to sleep too!  And my son is happy snuggled up next to me, and truthfully, I don't see it as a huge problem.  The funny thing is, I was really against co-sleeping before I had children.  It wasn't something I could comprehend, I guess.  But now I find it not only convinent, but comfortable.  It works for us. While Dylan does spend most of the night in his crib (and this is just recently, and mostly his choice) he comes in in the mornings with me and almost always naps with me (sigh, I used to hate naps, and now I can barely make it a day without one).  I never had the heart to let him cry it out or anything like that.  It seems to me that the author writes this with good intention, by all means sleep is important, but perhaps actually sleeping is more important then how we get there....or get our children there.
smdgibbons
by Group Admin on May. 8, 2007 at 10:05 AM

It is so refreshing to hear you say this, Michelle... My girlfriend Becca also co-slept & nursed, but has managed to get Zoe back in her crib a few mo back.  Outside of her & her sister, I've felt pretty uncomfortable admitting it to most ppl.  As for naps, I'm afraid I've always been a nap person...esp now!!  Again... 5 more mo...God I hope I still manage to get one in!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)