Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Bios anyone?

Posted by on May. 17, 2007 at 2:11 AM
  • 5 Replies
  • 161 Total Views
What's your favorite biography/autobiography?  I read Antonia Fraser's Marie Antoniette: The Journey recently, and it was amazing (side note to Sandy: I gave it an A).  Excellent read! 
by on May. 17, 2007 at 2:11 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
smdgibbons
by Group Admin on May. 17, 2007 at 3:14 AM

i don't usually read a lot of bios, but here are my brief reviews on what i've loved that i have read  :)
btw michelle, i'll have to def check out the marie antoinette bk!!

rocket boys: homer h. hickam jr. - this is the bk that the movie october sky was based on.  i love astronomy (i keep saying i'm just going to read a bunch of carl sagan's bks one of these days...i have them, just gotta get to them) and although this wasn't really about astronomy, it was about the guys who designed the rockets that nasa first started using.  it's just a phenomenal story!!  gave it an a+...grin.

all creatures great & small:  james herriot - i listed this as an animal bk, but it basically is his bio...one of many!!  herriot's a country vet.  he's hilarious.  he writes about his experiences on the job & in life, and it's just amazing...this feel-good warm fuzzy feeling type bk that leaves you happy.  i loved it!!!!  this was another a+

elizabeth I: rosalind k. marshall - a bio on queen elizabeth.  i love her. she is one of my heroes.  this just happened to be the bk that i read on her and i gave it an a.  but i don't think it's in print anymore...or at least sitting on bkstore shelves...i think it has to be special ordered most places.  i imagine other bios on her would be just as good...it was her story that i loved so very much, i think...not necessarily how it was written. perhaps i'm wrong.  i want very badly to read the other boleyn girl & the 2 others by same author, but haven't picked them up yet.  one of these days...  also...the movie with cate blanchett... elizabeth...is one of my very favorite movies.

the color of water: james mcbride - ok, this was another "a" bk, and was just amazing!  written by mcbride about his white jewish mother & black father and how she managed to raise something crazy like 15 kids in an area & time when mixed children were completely unacceptable.  it was funny, well-written and a very easy read.  :)

operating instructions: anne lamott - i've already reviewed this one in another post...but just for consistency, i'll tell you i gave it an a-...grin.  it was so great though!!

ok, long enough...later, ladies  :)

carolla
by on May. 17, 2007 at 9:59 AM

i don't have a specific title in mind i do like to read books re actors i did recently read most of a delta burke bio and a shelley winters bio.  also i have a book with mother teresa's teachings and i love to read about her. ive read the james herriot books too/wonderful for animal lovers.

DanaMel
by on May. 17, 2007 at 10:05 AM
I'm not really a big biography/autobiography fan, but I did like:

Peekaboo: the story of Veronica Lake
Little Girl Lost (Drew Barrymore)
His Bright Light (Danielle Steel's son, Nick)
CUnavywife
by Member on May. 17, 2007 at 3:50 PM
I usualy dont read Bios. I like to read to escape from reality normally. However, I just got the Paula Dean Bio....Once I read it I'll let ya know!:~)
momof2cuteboys
by on May. 21, 2007 at 9:34 PM
Loved The Glass Castle by Jeannette Walls!  Other than that I'm not that usually drawn to bios but I'm always up for something different
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)