• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Wanting to start a home cosmetics business

Posted by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 9:15 AM
  • 8 Replies
  • 280 Total Views

Hey ladies!

My name is Cara and I live in the Denver metro area, Colorado. I've posted this in a few other groups and I hope y'all can help me. I figured I'd get more responses about the Mary Kay business in a MK group. :-)  I'm getting things together to start some online businesses, and my goal is to have several successful income streams by the end of the year. I want one of those income streams to be a cosmetics direct sales type business. I absolutely love makeup and skin care...especially makeup! ;-) I can also appeal to and empathize with other ladies who have a hard time finding the right shade of foundation or powder, because I know exactly how it is! I still haven't found my perfect match, LOL. Anyway.

I am researching for the best cosmetics business, in terms of both products and the business opportunity itself, like what kind of commission there is, is there free training, what kind of quotas are there, are there bonuses and perks, etc, plus on how flexible the company is with internet and viral marketing. I have some great, creative ideas for internet and attraction marketing to build a business like this and want the company to be at least somewhat flexible in letting me advertise. I know there are some restrictions of course, and I'm willing to work with that and be more creative. ;-) But I feel that the new school of network marketing, with internet and viral marketing, is where it's at!  Viral marketing is very hot right now - especially on YouTube.

The companies I am most interested in are Mary Kay, Jafra and Arbonne. If any of you know reps from those companies, or have personal experience, and can give me the pros and cons of one versus the other, please feel free to send me a private message or post here. I'm doing a lot of research before I make a decision.

Thanks! Hope you all have a wonderful day! Best of luck with your businesses. :-)

by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 9:15 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
heatheramyprice
by on Jun. 10, 2009 at 12:56 PM

Best of luck to you with your decision!  I'm a sales director and can answer some of your questions...

Commission:  sales is 50% from the get go.  Sell a cleanser for $18, you paid $9, keep $9.  Simple.  Our most popular set is the miracle set which sells for $104.  You pay $52, you make $52.  Sell 2-3 miracle sets a day plus some other goodies, and you start to see how we make money.  :)  Team building commission structure starts at 4% and goes up from there.  At my level (sales director, top 2% of the company), a lot of us make more in commissions than in sales.

Free training:  YES!  Weekly meetings in most areas.  Plus emails, training websites, etc.

Quotas:  to stay active, it's $200 wholesale every 3 months.  Heck, I use that much just myself.  :)

Internet marketing: here is where you have to be careful.  My name on twitter was heatherthemkgal and I got a call from corporate.  Mary Kay *and* MK are trademarked, so though you can put YOURSELF out there as a skin care/ makeup expert, you can't represent the company by using their photos, trademarks, etc. MK highly recommends that you run your business via skin care classes and facials and not mostly via the internet.  There are ways to get around this, though, without breaking company rules.  I HIGHLY recommend you sign up for Lisa Robbin Young's FREE call series at http://www.1shoppingcart.com/app/?af=990177  --- she is hosting a live event this summer where she will be helping leaders and consultants from MANY direct sales companies create blogs and online profiles which do not break their company's policies.  With this type of blog you can use list building, seo, etc etc.

Also, be sure to join my email list at heatheramyprice.com  (right side of the page, scroll down to where it says Sign up here for direct sales relationship marketing hints and tips delivered to your email!   --- this blog is for my second business, Send Out Cards (my niche with Send Out Cards is fellow direct sellers and most of my Send Out Cards team is fellow Mary Kay-ers), but via this list I do some affiliate promoting for programs which help direct sellers learn social media and internet marketing techniques.

If you don't currently have a Mary Kay consultant you're thinking of signing under, let me know- I'm happy to help.

-Heather

tsalagicara
by on Jun. 11, 2009 at 8:49 AM

Hi Heather! :-) Thanks for the reply and the info. There is one thing I am really confused about -- and that's the commission. If you buy something for $9, sell it for $18, and only get to keep $9, how do you make any money? Wouldn't that be just "breaking even"? Please forgive me if I am misunderstanding, I'm very tired. But I am open to clarification. :-) I love MK products and finally found my perfect match in MK foundation! So I'm excited. I did find a very successful director here locally whom I might sign up under, but I haven't made my decision yet between Arbonne and Mary Kay. It's hard decision!

I wish you the best of luck in your business and thanks again for replying to my post. Have a wonderful day! hugs

MamaPridgen
by on Jun. 11, 2009 at 10:11 AM

Having not tried Arbonne myself I dont have any experience but have heard from a friend (and current team member) that their price point is VERY high compared to ours. Not by any means am I bad mouthing them but being that I am a consultant I would have to say that with the price point that we offer our customers you just cant go wrong. We have so much to offer that most people dont even know about. And definitely dont make assumptions based on what your friends or family members use because once they try our products and see the price point and the amount of time that the product actually lasts they will switch. I have had people switch from Arbonne because of both products and price, as well as several other high end brands.

The most important thing is that you believe in the product and the business opportunity and the rest is cake!!!

Trina09
by on Jun. 11, 2009 at 10:59 AM

I'm not sure if anyone cleared that up for you yet but I thought I'd answer just in case. If you purchase if for $9 and sell it for $18, $9 goes to paying for the product and the other $9 is for you to keep. Hope that's understandable...

Quoting tsalagicara:

Hi Heather! :-) Thanks for the reply and the info. There is one thing I am really confused about -- and that's the commission. If you buy something for $9, sell it for $18, and only get to keep $9, how do you make any money? Wouldn't that be just "breaking even"? Please forgive me if I am misunderstanding, I'm very tired. But I am open to clarification. :-) I love MK products and finally found my perfect match in MK foundation! So I'm excited. I did find a very successful director here locally whom I might sign up under, but I haven't made my decision yet between Arbonne and Mary Kay. It's hard decision!

I wish you the best of luck in your business and thanks again for replying to my post. Have a wonderful day! hugs

heatheramyprice
by on Jun. 11, 2009 at 1:47 PM

ok--- you place a wholesale order for say, $600.  That's $1200 worth of product.  Sell it all, get $1200 (you paid $600 so you keep $600).

Wholesale order for $400, that's $800 worth of product.  Wholesale order for $1200, that's $2400 worth of product.

Clear as mud?  :)

Arbonne doesn't make as much money as we do, but their products are different and I think more botanically based.  I actually hooked up with an Arbonne consultant at a vendor event recently and I'll be trying their vitamins.

tsalagicara
by on Jun. 12, 2009 at 7:38 AM

Ok, I understand now. :-) Thanks everyone, for posting this information! I found a very successful sales director for MK in my area and may be signing up under her. Right now I'm trying to figure out the best way to earn money for the starter kit.  I'm pretty much broke and can't spare $100 right now -- another reason I want to get some successful online (and offline) business going. Any suggestions?

heatheramyprice
by on Jun. 12, 2009 at 1:21 PM

If you can't afford $100, you NEED MK.  A 3 minute phone call last night earned me $122-- a loyal customer reordering all her faves.

You can borrow from a friend, sell a few items you're not using on ebay, or use a credit card.  Another thing you can do is start selling in advance--- have all your potential customers look at someone else's website and tell you what they want to order (and pay you up front).  Take part of your profit and pay for the starter kit.

I had a broke friend who wanted to join so I paid for her starter kit because she cleaned out my garage.  Can you clean your director's garage?  (or babysit her kids, work in her office, you get the idea).  I wanted to pay someone $100 to clean my garage, and she was the perfect person- she did an amazing job.  My car fits in there now.  :)

Can't wait to hear that you're official!

tsalagicara
by on Jun. 13, 2009 at 8:52 AM

Yes, I definitely need a successful home business, and multiple successful income streams would be awesome! I'm not going to borrow the money from friends or family, nor will I put the fee on a credit card (I have too much debt as it is, lol). I did have some ideas for selling in advance, such as selling several sets of Satin Hands (selling 8-10 sets should give me enough money for the starter kit). I don't think my Director needs her garage cleaned but I can certainly ask. She may need some office help, though! :-) I had some other ideas for making money, such as:

I can build custom Squidoo lenses, simple mini websites, squeeze pages, blogs, YouTube accounts, MySpace, Twitter and Facebook accounts, etc. for a fee. I can also write articles, post comments on blogs and forums, proofread and edit for fees as well. If anyone here needs anything like that done for them, or you know someone that needs any of those services, please feel free to contact me through CafeMom or through the e-mail in my signature.

Thanks everyone!  I can't wait to get started, either. Have a wonderful day and best of luck with your businesses! :-)

Quoting heatheramyprice:

If you can't afford $100, you NEED MK.  A 3 minute phone call last night earned me $122-- a loyal customer reordering all her faves.

You can borrow from a friend, sell a few items you're not using on ebay, or use a credit card.  Another thing you can do is start selling in advance--- have all your potential customers look at someone else's website and tell you what they want to order (and pay you up front).  Take part of your profit and pay for the starter kit.

I had a broke friend who wanted to join so I paid for her starter kit because she cleaned out my garage.  Can you clean your director's garage?  (or babysit her kids, work in her office, you get the idea).  I wanted to pay someone $100 to clean my garage, and she was the perfect person- she did an amazing job.  My car fits in there now.  :)

Can't wait to hear that you're official!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)