Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Venturing

Posted by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 7:01 PM
  • 4 Replies
  • 333 Total Views

Hubby & I, along with a good friend of ours started a venturing crew. We had formal training for us & the kids this weekend at a camp out. The kids are so excited it really makes me smile. I just love this program & see how needed it is at times. We have already been asked to do a flag raising ceremony at a local state park for its annual regatta. The kids are volunteering this coming weekend for a veteran's shoot. They have planned to have both Class A's & they have already planned their t shirts for Class B's. They choose all their positions, etc. It is so cool. So proud of how they have taken a hold of it & are just gung ho. It is great!

Michelle Proud Mom of an Only Child By Choice Jonathan

Proud Teenager, Life Ranked Boy Scout & Scottish Drummer Parent! Proud Navy Submarine Vets Wife! 

by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 7:01 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
nuts4scouts
by Group Owner on Jun. 14, 2010 at 12:02 AM

Congratulations!  Good for the kids!

Does the Crew have a specific focus?

Are they going with the BSA version "class A" Venturing uniform, or one of their own?

Will they be coed?

Starting on a new adventure is always fun, and energising!

MichelleMc
by Member on Jun. 14, 2010 at 7:30 AM

Their specific focus is going to be high adventure. Our charter Org is a local gun club but there is soooo much to do there. They let us camp there & it is so huge we aren't in the way at all even if there is shooting going on.

Yes they are going to go with Class A Venturing Uniform & then have a Class B of a shirt they have designed. There are just times that a Class A will come in handy. They are going to make sure to get them by the Flag Raising Ceremony.

Yes on Co Ed, we already have one girl & she is planning to bring another girl we all know in. We will see on that though.

Yes it is so exciting. The kids are so excited. They will get to wear the VSLC ( trained ) patch so that is great. They want to work on getting the awards too. Two for sure on wanting to start on getting the Silver Award LOL.

Scoutmamaof4
by Member on Jun. 14, 2010 at 10:23 AM

Awesome!  Venturing is the best thing for teens since the invention of pizza! 

We've been involved in Venturing for six years, ever since my oldest daughter turned 14.  I've had my own crew now for 3.5 years.  It's an amazing program!

Our crew works closely with the troop, and many of our boys are Eagles.  Most of the girls are sisters of boys in a troop. 

One of the things I love about Venturing is how the kids feel a sense of ownership, and how they run the crew themselves.  We meet twice a month for meetings, and try to have at least one outside activity each month as well.  We also do a lot of staffing for council events such as Day Camp, Family Camp, Woodbadge, and Camporees. 

I look forward to hearing more about your crew as you grow!

MichelleMc
by Member on Jun. 14, 2010 at 11:58 AM

Oh I agree about the best invention. We have learned so much & I just hope that more crews pop up! It is such a great thing!

We will try to do things with the troop but we will see how that goes over, LOL. We have a cub scout camp right near where we meet. I know the camp ranger & wife very well. So we will be talking to them about the kids saying tey want to help out there, etc.

Yes, it is so much more ownership than the troop. I am not sure why as both are boy run but venturing is just so much more them, them, them. I love the "advisor" title versus Scout"master".

I love the awards that are available & how they teach. I love the idea of consultants. It is just so great.

We are having a HUGE Campaganza local. Kind of in case you can't make it to Jamboree this year type thing. About 10,000 scouts are going to be there. We have Smashmouth coming to play, etc. The cut off is the 15th but no way we can foot the cost for that right now. But they are extending for us.

The kids are sooo excited. I just love their enthusiasm!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)