Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Religious Achievements

Posted by on Jun. 18, 2012 at 11:08 PM
  • 3 Replies
  • 318 Total Views

I have a question.... I'm pagan and so are my kids are whatever they choose to be. They were both baptised in the Catholic church but we don't actively participate, well because we're Pagan :P

How do I go about getting them their relgious achievements? I don't see pagan or anything similar in the emblem programs for Wolves.

by on Jun. 18, 2012 at 11:08 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
Jinx-Troublex3
by Member on Jun. 19, 2012 at 1:13 AM
Wolves rank has NO religous requirement. I don't have a book in front of me but basically it is talk with you paremts/religous leader and do something religous. It is not specific.

As for a specific "program" or awaard for pagans, I am not sure there is one. Try praypub.org for specifics.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
nuts4scouts
by Group Owner on Jun. 19, 2012 at 1:24 AM

Earning a Religious Emblem is not required for any Cub level. There are alternate requirements for each level's religious requirement.

For Wolf, none of the achievements for Duty To God (#11) require that the Scout earn a Religious Emblem.

Simply talk to your son about your families faith, and how he can practive it.

Do you have any pagan religious group that your family belongs to? If not then discuss with him who you would consider your "religious fellowship" to be (even if it is only your own family), and how he can help them.

The problem with a Pagan, or Wiccan, Religious Emblem program is that there is really no one, central, national, Pagan, or Wiccan, religious organization to create one.

I did find a Wiccan religious award for youth 7-11. It is the Over The Moon award from the Covenant of the Goddess.

http://www.cog.org/content/CoGWeb/projects/awards/overmoon.pdf

I suggest looking at it to see if it might be something he could do as a Bear, or a Webelos. I would also contact the organization to make sure the emblem is still available to purchase.

One thing to note - If your son earns this award, he will be eligible to wear the BSA purple/silver square knot for those who have earned a religious award as a youth. However, since the BSA does not recognize the Over the Moon program, he will not (technically) be able to wear the award itself on his BSA uniform.

Personally, I only had my son wear his actual medals on special occasions  (like receiving his rank awards, or receiving other religious awads), and he still managed to loose bits and peices of them. (big sigh!) So I would actually prefer they do not wear the award on the uniform.

Luv.My.Kidz
by on Jun. 19, 2012 at 1:43 AM
Thank you both for your help...I appreciate it
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)