Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Cub Scouts 2010 - NEW

Posted by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 1:13 PM
  • 1 Replies
  • 280 Total Views

See the new Cub Scout program here -

http://www.scouting.org/CubScouts%202010.aspx

BSA is going with Fast Tracks, and is replacing the fun, changing, monthly themes with the 12 Core Values (1 per month).

by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 1:13 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-1):
onthemove
by Member on Sep. 21, 2009 at 4:29 PM

I spent some time looking through the online materials presented.

From what I understand, the Cub Scouts are officially moving focus to achievement and rank advancement being taught predominently in the dens, and not putting the onus of  advancement on the families. Frankly, that's the way my older son's den was run, and that's the way I always ran my den meetings when I became a den leader for my younger son. Both of my sons' dens not only had high retention rates of boys, they generated much higher rates of actively involved parents in the Scouting movement. And both dens crossed 100% of their Webelos 2 into the Boy Scouts.

Frankly, the biggest reason for using the "fun, changing, monthly themes" in our Pack was to provide focus to the Pack meetings themselves.

My biggest fear for the Cub Scouts 2010 program is that it will be too book structured without any flexibility. Looking at the sample plan for the Wolves, I see a number of problems with the canned den meetings which won't work in my meeting time and place. Will wiggle room be allowed?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)