Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS) and natural progesterone

Posted by on Jul. 25, 2007 at 10:40 AM
  • 5 Replies
  • 257 Total Views
 What is Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome? Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome refers to multiple small cysts on the ovaries (polycystic ovaries) and a host of other problems that go along with them, including lack of ovulation, menstrual abnormalities, excessive facial hair, male pattern baldness, acne, and sometime obesity. Some women may also have varying degrees of insulin resistance (increased incidence of Type II diabetes), low bone density, and high triglycerides. Other names for PCOS are polycystic ovarian disease (PCOD) or the Stein-Leventhal syndrome. Symptoms include: menstrual periods - abnormal, irregular or scanty absence of period - usually but not always, after having one or more menstrual periods during puberty - then it stops obesity - beginning tummy, hips, upper body infertility increase body hair growth, unusual growth and distribution of body hair decreased breast size aggravation of acne How do I know if I have PCOS? It is where there are multiple cysts (more than 10 small follicles per ovary, lined around the edge of the ovary), whereas in a normal ovary they are distributed more evenly throughout the ovary. It is a condition of hormonal imbalance and it is characterised by excessive amounts of male hormones and irregular menstruation. Women are often predisposed to it, and it is strongly linked to inherited factors that may be triggered by stress and weight gain. Polycystic ovaries can be detected by an ultrasound of the pelvis, and blood results showing high levels of testosterone.

What causes PCOS, and how is progesterone used in the treatment of this disease? PCOS occurs when a woman fails to ovulate, which results in a disruption in the normal, cyclic interrelationship among her hormones, her brain and her ovaries. If ovulation is unsuccessful, and a lack of progesterone is detected by the hypothalamus, the ovary is stimulated to make more estrogen and androgens (male hormones), which stimulates more follicles towards ovulation. PCOS occurs when these additional follicles are unable to produce a mature ovum or make progesterone. These eggs won't 'pop' and progesterone isn't made. The menstrual cycle is then dominated by estrogen and androgen (testosterone) minus the production of progesterone. High levels of testosterone not only causes male-like features, but can cause an interference on the pancreas which interferes with insulin production. This in turn will interferes with blood glucose metabolism, accounting for the incidence of excess weight gain, particularly upper body weight, thereby creating a vicious cycle. Reducing weight helps control this problem, and enhance hormone balancing. Progesterone also assists in modulation and balancing. There are suggested links between exposure to environmental pollutants that mimic estrogen and the developing baby's tissue. Laboratory experiments, wildlife studies, and the human DES experience link hormone disruption with a variety of male and female reproductive problems that appear to be on the rise in the general human population - problems ranging from endometriosis, testicular cancer, infertility, and in there somewhere is PCOS. It is argued that if a female embryo's ovarian follicles are compromised through exposure to these chemicals, this damage will not be apparent until after puberty. Other factors that can contribute to PCOS: stress - high cortisol levels, long term lack of exercise - overweight poor nutrition - too much sugar and highly refined carbohydrates Birth Control Pill - shuts down normal ovary function prescription drugs - that may impair the functioning of the limbic brain Natural progesterone appears to be proving to be a major player in the successful treatment of PCOS. The reason behind this solution - if you're body isn't producing enough progesterone, then progesterone supplementation is going help maintain the normal synchronal pattern each month. The way you can tell if you're on the winning side of progesterone therapy and may reduce your dosage is by the fact that you haven't continued to gain weight, your lower abdomen is no longer swollen or tender, your sugar cravings are under control, your facial and body hair has reduced significantly, and your periods have regulated. If your symptoms appear to be getting worse, you need to check out your testosterone levels, glucose intolerance, and ultrasound results, all of which may indicate that progesterone therapy is not enough, or you need to increase your dose. Do this only under your doctor's supervision. There are some very helpful natural supplements on the market to help reduce and stabilise high blood sugar levels and insulin resistance in the treatment of PCOS. Addressing weight problems is very important in the treatment of this disease. Reducing weight is imperative to a favourable outcome with or without progesterone therapy. Continued weight gain leads to continued storage of upper body fat which, in turn, generates higher levels of male hormones, and further hormone disruption and insulin resistance results. This cycle becomes vicious, and the disease worsens. What else can I do to improve PCOS symptoms? Pay particular attention to diet and nutrition, avoid all refined carbohydrates and sugars, get plenty of exercise, drink lots of filtered water, reduce weight, learn to manage your stress levels, and rest up.

Catherine Rollins FOR Cafe Mom's Submitted by Jamie 
by on Jul. 25, 2007 at 10:40 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
mommyoftrinity
by Group Owner on Jul. 25, 2007 at 11:38 AM
Thanks for this article. Hopefully it will help others understand what PCOS is and how to lessen the symptoms.
ksgsmile
by Member on Jul. 25, 2007 at 2:45 PM
That's a wonderful article!!!!!!!! Thanks for sharing.
1000moms
by on Jul. 25, 2007 at 7:46 PM

Quoting mommyoftrinity:

Thanks for this article. Hopefully it will help others understand what PCOS is and how to lessen the symptoms.

What alternatives have you tried to help with your 

PCOS?

mommyoftrinity
by Group Owner on Jul. 25, 2007 at 8:47 PM

Quoting 1000moms:

Quoting mommyoftrinity:

PCOS?

I was just on Metformin this go round. And I was suceeding at losing weight. I lost 31 lbs since April and now I am pregnant I will still try to only gain little weight to get back on track once I have the baby.  I didn't need fertiltiy drugs this time so I am thankful.  I haven't been tested for PCOS again since I was tested in 2004.  I know the symptoms are there most of the time.  I really don't want an ultrasound of my ovaries. I would rather not see what they look like.  

1000moms
by on Jul. 26, 2007 at 6:18 PM

Quoting mommyoftrinity:

Quoting 1000moms:

Quoting mommyoftrinity:

PCOS?

I was just on Metformin this go round. And I was suceeding at losing weight. I lost 31 lbs since April and now I am pregnant I will still try to only gain little weight to get back on track once I have the baby.  I didn't need fertiltiy drugs this time so I am thankful.  I haven't been tested for PCOS again since I was tested in 2004.  I know the symptoms are there most of the time.  I really don't want an ultrasound of my ovaries. I would rather not see what they look like.  

You are truly a strong women!  Were you taking this medication to help with your blood sugar levels?  I am very passionate about womens health and hormones - I do promote natural health care products. These products are there to help you. I sell all of the products at the wholesale price. My goal is not to make money off of the women who join, but to try and help them with their hormones and infertility problems.  Would you be open to receiveing more information?  If you so, let me know the best way I can get the information to you!  
From the Heart,
~~JMB

Healthy Habits ~ Natural Wellness ~ Health Advocate
www.ineways.com/healthyhabits

It's about Freedom~Your Money~Your Time~Your Health
www.1000moms1000dollars.com/InSafeHands

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)