Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Diet Connection to PCOS

Posted by on Jul. 25, 2007 at 10:41 AM
  • 6 Replies
  • 321 Total Views
The Diet Connection to PCOS by Dr. John Lee By far the biggest lifestyle contributor to PCOS is poor diet. Young women with PCOS tend to eat far too much sugar and highly refined carbohydrates. These foods cause an unhealthy rise in insulin levels. According to Jerilyn Prior, M.D., insulin stimulates androgen receptors on the outside of the ovary, causing the typical PCOS symptoms of excess hair (on the face, arms, legs), thin hair (on the head), and acne. Eventually, this type of diet will cause obesity, this will cause insulin resistance (the inability of the cells to take in insulin), which will aggravate the PCOS even more. The androgens also play a role in blocking the release of the egg from the follicle. Women, who have a high number of dysfunctional follicles to begin with, due to xenobiotic exposure in the womb, will have worse problems if their diets are high in sugary foods and low in nutrition. Since this is exactly the type of diet favored by teens and young women, it's easy to understand why there is so much PCOS in that age group. Fifty years ago, the average person ate one pound of sugar a year. Today the average teenager today eats one pound a week! Potato chips, corn chips, pasta and white rice are all highly refined carbohydrates that also act on the body much the same as sugars do. When you look at the whole picture of PCOS, you can understand why the hormone-blocking and insulin-lowering drugs don't work for very long. These approaches don't address the underlying cause of the problem. They only suppress symptoms. Improvement is only temporary and both types of drugs have terribly unpleasant side effects. By the same token, you can't just take progesterone, and you can't just cut out the sugar. You usually need to do both. Exercise and good nutrition are also very important in maintaining hormone balance, and I have covered both at length in What Your Doctor May Not Tell You About Premenopause.
by on Jul. 25, 2007 at 10:41 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
1000moms
by on Jul. 26, 2007 at 11:34 AM
Have you had any sucess with this?  Share your story with us!
Jesusmyhero
by on Aug. 27, 2007 at 5:27 PM

I love your commentary ... but please tell me what the heck "xenobiotic exposure in the womb" is?

Thanks!

1000moms
by on Aug. 28, 2007 at 7:09 PM

Quoting Jesusmyhero:

I love your commentary ... but please tell me what the heck "xenobiotic exposure in the womb" is?

Thanks!

When a women (yourself) being exposed to xenobiotics while in your mothers womb.  This is a chemical which is found in an organism (i.e., a bacteria)  Specifically, drugs such as antibiotics are xenobiotics in humans because the human body does not produce them itself nor would they be expected to be present as part of a normal diet. However, the term is also used in the context of pollutants such as dioxins and polychlorinated biphenyls (PCBs) and their effect on the biota (water bottles). Natural compounds can also become xenobiotics if they are taken up by another organism (e.g., uptake of natural human hormones by fish found downstream of sewage treatment plant outfalls).This is why it is so important to be aware of our surroundings.  If you have any additional questions, please ask,  I’m for each and EVERYONE of you!!! 

gigglesholly
by on Aug. 29, 2007 at 12:50 AM
i would like to correct the post! people with PCOS are born with it! the PCOS causes them to crave the sugar and carbs! the PCOS causes weight gain! things like having a baby or any major life changes could cause the symptoms to make themselves known! i resent people saying that PCOS is caused by the person who is diagnosed!
1000moms
by on Aug. 29, 2007 at 12:30 PM

Quoting gigglesholly:

i would like to correct the post! people with PCOS are born with it! the PCOS causes them to crave the sugar and carbs! the PCOS causes weight gain! things like having a baby or any major life changes could cause the symptoms to make themselves known! i resent people saying that PCOS is caused by the person who is diagnosed!

gigglesholly:  Could you please direct me as to where Dr. John Lee said  PCOS is caused by the person who is diagnosed.  The article is merely suggesting that as women we can do things within our diet to help control our PCOS.  
1000moms
by on Aug. 29, 2007 at 12:32 PM

With or without PCOS our body’s process refined sugars and causes stress on the body, yes?!?!  Weight gain, hormonal imbalances, vitamin deficiencies, and a great deal of stress on our bodies with PCOS.  Therefore, when we have a craving for that candy bar or bag of chips perhaps we can retrain our bodies with better things.

Can anyone share their experience on how you controlled your diet?  Thxs

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)