Recipe #192832This is a somewhat different variation than the traditional "Bark"--more of a cracker type candy-I make several variations. Great to make for Christmas parties, bake sales, etc.by mamacancook
4-6 servings 15 min 10 min prep Change to: servings US Metric 24-28 saltine crackers (about a pack and a few extra-depending on size of cookie sheet)
1 cup brown sugar
2 1/2-3 cups chocolate chips
white chocolate chips (optional) chopped nuts (optional) candy sprinkles (optional)
Not the one? See other Bark Recipes
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Line a cookie sheet (the kind with sides) with parchment paper or foil.
- Cover the lined cookie sheet with saltines--do not overlap.
- Bring to a boil the 2 sticks of butter or margarine (I've used "better" margarine and it works just as well) to a boil.
- Add the brown sugar-stir quickly and cook for few minutes-continuing to stir until sugar is melted.
- Pour the melted butter/brown sugar combo over the crackers. (Be careful as mixture can REALLY burn you if you're not careful).
- Bake at 400°F for 5 minutes.
- Remove pan and place on cooling rack.
- While pan is still hot-cover with chocolate chips (OKAY, HONESTY CHECK--I don't measure--I grab the bag and dump bout 3/4 of the bag over the hot crackers).
- Allow the chips to melt and spread with a spatula.
- If adding chopped nuts or sprinkles, add now.
- Allow to cool-break apart and enjoy.
- I also drizzle white chocolate after the semi-sweet has firmed up OR I've used white chocolate to cover the crackers and sprinkles for the holidays--you could drizzle with regular chocolate or try peanut butter chips and then drizzle with chocolate, even butterscotch chips--there's numerous ways to vary this recipe.