Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Italian Chicken

Posted by on Jan. 10, 2011 at 4:09 PM
  • 8 Replies
  • 293 Total Views
I *love* this recipe, my family loves this recipe ~ it is so good!  Especially nice at this chilly time of year ~ comfort food!

Italian Chicken
4 large chicken breasts or 4 large leg quarters
1 green pepper, minced
1 red pepper, minced
1 small can mushrooms, do not drain
2 cans diced tomatoes, do not drain
1 can tomato paste
1 1/2 Tbls. miced garlic
1 Tbls. dried oregano (oregano is strong, so decrease this amount to suit your taste if needed)
1 1/2 tsp. dried parsley
2 Tbls. flour
2 tsp. brown sugar (this is used to offset the acidity in the tomatoes, so increase or decrease according to your taste)

First, skin and wash your chicken. Then place it in a crock pot. Next, mix all your dry ingredients. Add to that your tomatoes, tomato paste, mushrooms, and peppers. Mix well to form a nice sauce. Pour over the chicken. Cook on high 4 hours or on low 8 hours. Once chicken is done, serve it over buttered spaghetti.

* Sometimes I will run the peppers and mushrooms through the food processor to liquify them in order to hide them from my 12 year old son.  He loves this recipe when he doesn't know he's eating the veggies, lol.

Save all of the extra sauce in your crock pot and use it as part of your stock in your next pot of veggie-beef soup/stew.

by on Jan. 10, 2011 at 4:09 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
momofsix317
by Owner on Jan. 19, 2011 at 7:43 PM

This sounds really good. I am putiing it on my menu next week. Thanks!

momofsix317
by Owner on Jan. 31, 2011 at 5:42 PM

I made this and it is GREAT!!!! My family loves it. The only thing I changed was because my dh didn't want the chicken breast whole, I shredded them, put it back in the sauce, then served it over spaghetti. Even my non pasta eating son loved it. Makes great leftovers with the spaghetti mixed in.

Pink.Frosting
by on Jan. 31, 2011 at 8:55 PM

Oh, I'm glad you like it.  :-)  I don't keep the breasts whole either.  They come apart really easy since they were slow cooked and I usually take a pair of tongs and just tear them apart before serving.

cindie83099
by on Feb. 5, 2011 at 11:27 AM

This sounds awesome!!!

ZsMommy
Hungry for everything that's not in the house right now.
Yesterday at 3:39 PM
by on Feb. 5, 2011 at 5:14 PM

Minus the mushrooms and this sounds yummy.

MommaChristmas
by on Feb. 5, 2011 at 5:15 PM

oooh Thank you!

Pink.Frosting
by on Apr. 26, 2011 at 5:59 PM

I'm making this again tonight and my kitchen smells sooooo good right now!

mary841108
by on Apr. 10, 2013 at 7:07 PM
1 mom liked this
I'm making this soon. Thank you pink for emailing me the link to this. I am writing it on an index card for my recipe box.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)