Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Cooking on a Budget

Posted by on Apr. 29, 2007 at 5:40 PM
  • 5 Replies
  • 325 Total Views
Here's my problem: I have a budget.

So I have no clue as to how to cook. I love good home cooked meals, but now I have very little to work with. I need simple cost effective recipies that my kids and hubby will enjoy. We're not picky, just bored of the same old stuff. Thanks!
by on Apr. 29, 2007 at 5:40 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
betru2oneself
by on Apr. 29, 2007 at 8:16 PM

in our house ordering pizza has been almost cut out completely. me and the oldest child are especially addicted to stuff crust pizza though. one thing i love to make though now which has cut back on the need for orderin out though is to make stromboli. if you don't know what that is it's nothing more then one giant calzone pizza here you go you ready?
for a family of 2 adults and maybe 2 small children

2 packets of pizza dough (normally i get the just add water ones)
1/4-1/2 jar of pizza sauce depends on your needs of sauce

cheese of your choice and how much you like to go with it

any pizza topping you enjoy and trust me frying up bacon makes it oh so yummy

just follow the directions on the back of the pizza dough

grab a rolling pin and flatten it out to your desire i normally make mine pretty thin. add your sauce/cheese and toppings and then just fold it up. one thing we have tried to do if you have a 2nd set of adult hands (i don't anymore at the moment) is to put it on a plate with flour on the plate. then flip it over to a cookie sheet so it can try and get a nice even crust (it gets tricky) after it's baked for the amount of time it states on the package we pull it out and then put some butter all over the top and sides and then add some garlic salt. i hope this helps you out. please let me know how it turns out if anyone tries it though. i always enjoy hearing from people how things turn out for them.

chef_mama
by on Apr. 29, 2007 at 8:42 PM
this site has helped me so much

http://www.cheapcooking.com/
MamaDiane
by on Apr. 29, 2007 at 10:55 PM
Do you have a Crockpot?  I think they are wonderful at making a few ingredients cook up into big flavor.

One of our favorites is Beef Stew - I put my vegetables in the bottom of my pot - use whatever  you like, mushrooms, carrots, onions, potatoes cut into bite size pieces.  Then, put on top a pkg of beef stew meat (I usually pull this out of my freezer, and put in frozen), and one can of Campbell's golden mushroom soup.  Cook on slow all day.  Serve over rice, mashed potatoes, or egg noodles.  I like to do this when I have alot of running around to do, put on before I leave in the AM, and the smell of your house when you return is YUMMY.

Another Crockpot meal I do is to put a cut up chicken into the pot with a few mushrooms, about 3/4 cup white cooking wine, and a can of cream of chicken soup.  Cook on slow all day.  About 45 min before serving I put the chicken onto a cooking sheet and brown in the oven.  The juice left in the Crockpot is great over rice.

For side dishes, I love frozen vegetables - they are inexpensive and FAST!  I stock up on corn, peas, brussel sprouts and spinach when at the market.  To fix, add just a couple of T of water to a pot, add the vegetable, a bit of margarine and salt, bring to a boil and then simmer for just a few minutes before serving.

Hope this helps!
JanetBennett
by on Apr. 30, 2007 at 1:01 AM
My ex MIL had 6 kids, so she knew something about cooking on a budget.  Here's a couple of recipes she taught me...

Fry a skillet of potatoes, how ever much your family will eat.
While that's cooking, brown a lb of ground beef with onion, bell pepper, and celery and drain. 
Add to the meat, one can of cream style soup (she used celery, I use mushroom) and one sm can of tomato sauce.  
Pour over the potatoes and grate some cheddar cheese on top.  Cover until cheese melts.
She just calls this dish "meat mixture".

She also made pork and bean chili...

Brown 2 lbs ground beef with onion.
Add 2 cans pork and beans
1 lg can tomato sauce
one packet chili seasoning

Serve with corn bread, crackers, whatever you like with your chili.  It's a little sweet, but it still has the spicy flavor with it.  Very good!
MamaDiane
by on Jan. 22, 2009 at 8:44 PM

bump

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)