Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mayhaw Jelly

Posted by on Jan. 9, 2008 at 5:32 PM
  • 5 Replies
  • 512 Total Views
I have been out of homemade jelly for awhile now & can't seem to find anything in the stores that taste worth a flip, so a friend of mine brought over some mayhaws yesterday.  These are the neatest little berries & have a tart flavor, just perfect for making jelly.  I posted a photo of the end result on my HP & MamaDiane wanted me to post the recipe here & post the pic. 

Mayhaws are similar to crabapple & grow from the Hawthorne tree & harvested in May, hence Mayhaw. I have made many types of jelly, but this is my first try @ Mayhaw.  I think this may become my most favorite, even though I haven't tried it on a biscuit or toast, yet.  Just a swipe from what was left in the pot after making it.  Mmmmmm!

MAYHAW JELLY

1 box Ball Natural Gel No Sugar Needed Fruit Pectin
1 gallon mayhaw berries (yielding 4 cups juice)
3 cups sugar
1/2 t. butter or margarine

Rinse berries in colander & put in large pot.  Cover slightly w/water.  Bring berries to a boil.  Stir gently.  Put lid on pot & boil for about 10 minutes.  Remove lid & mash berries gently to extract more juice.  Pour berries into strainer & measure off 4 cups juice. 

Put juice in double boiler & stir in packet of fruit pectin, stirring while pouring.  (I like to use a whisk) 

Measure 3 cups sugar into bowl.  Set aside.

When juice in double boiler continues to boil, stir in sugar gently.  Continue stirring until it returns to a boil.  After returning to a boil, continue stirring & boil for 1 minute.

Have sterilized jars ready to pour jelly mixture into.  Have lids in small pan of hot water.  Pour jelly into jars, wipe rim of any jelly and place hot lid on top of jar.  Place ring on jar & twist until snug.  Turn jelly jars upside down for 5 minutes.  Then turn right-side up.  Jelly will seal as it cools.  Any jars that have not sealed after cooling will need to be placed in the refrigerator & used first.  You will know if it has not sealed by pressing into the center of the lid and it has a little bubble that pops back up.  They will be sealed if it doesn't pop back up when pressed.

Any questions, just PM me & I will be glad to help.  I love making jelly & would be glad to be of service to anyone that wants to learn how.

by on Jan. 9, 2008 at 5:32 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
luvmy4angels
by on Jan. 10, 2008 at 8:44 AM

I have grew up eating this for 35 years. My family loves it!!! I am so glad you thought of posting it. It is wonderful on toast and biscuits with or without meat.

etexmom
by on Jan. 10, 2008 at 8:51 AM
Thank you!  Jelly is so easy to make & SO worth it!  It makes the best gifts.  I agree with you.

VickieLM
by on Jan. 23, 2008 at 9:47 AM
I'm not sure which I love more..homemade mayhaw jelly or homemade apple jelly!  My mother has made both of these, and many others, for as long as I can remember.  I haven't ever made them, but I am definitely going to save this recipe.  Thanks for posting it!

VickieLM
SweetLuci
by on Jan. 24, 2008 at 8:53 PM
I love mayhaw jelly...but since I don't have access to mayhaws...I'm gonna show up at your door...biscuit in one hand, cornbread in the other!
etexmom
by on Jan. 28, 2008 at 5:55 PM

Quoting SweetLuci:

I love mayhaw jelly...but since I don't have access to mayhaws...I'm gonna show up at your door...biscuit in one hand, cornbread in the other!

Okay!  I'll be expecting you, SweetLuci!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN