Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

2nd Original Post~Louisiana Recipes #2

Posted by on Feb. 20, 2009 at 9:55 AM
  • 12 Replies
  • 1146 Total Views

Since Cafemom has put my other Louisiana Recipe post in a hidden file I'll start a second one :) Hope yall enjoy and have a wonderful day!!!!

This recipe is for the day after you have a crawfish boil and you don't know what to do with the leftovers!!!

About 2 # Peeled crawfish tails
5-6 Cups cooked rice
3 lg. onions (chopped)
Fresh French Bread
2 lg. bell peppers (chopped)
2 Stalks celery (chopped)
1-1/2 cups plain flour
3 cloves garlic (chopped fine)
1-1/2 Cups vegetable oil or lard
Potatoes, carrots, and corn from crawfish boil

Tabasco Sauce
Zatarain's crab boil
Tony Chachere's Seasoning

***NOTE***

If you don't have leftovers from a crawfish boil (Too Bad) you can use crawfish tails from the market, or fresh shrimp.

Peel the leftover crawfish and put the shells in a stock pot. Add water enough to cover the shells, bring to a boil and lower heat to a simmer. Let simmer for about 40 minutes. This is your crawfish stock.

Next you have to make your roux. In a black iron or heavy aluminum pot add 1 1/2 cups of vegetable oil or hog lard and heat to about 300ºF (don't let it smoke). Add 1 1/2 cups of plain flour (Be careful, it's very hot). Stir until chocolate in color. Let it cool and put in a dish. 

In the same pot add about 1/4 cup of oil and heat on medium fire. Add onions, bell peppers, celery and garlic. Sauté until very limp. Add about 3 cups of water from the crawfish stock (be sure to strain).  Bring to a boil, turn heat down to med-low. Slowly stir in the roux to mix well and let it cook about an hour (stir occasionally). Taste it 30 minutes into the process and add salt and pepper and Tabasco. 

After the hour is up add the potatoes, carrots, corn and mushrooms, then, cook for about twenty minutes. Add the crawfish tails and cook for another 15 minutes.

If the sauce is too thin add a tablespoon of cornstarch dissolved in water at a time (stirring in between adds) until the sauce is like you want it. Cook another 15 minutes and start tasting.  

***NOW IF YOU DON’T HAVE LEFTOVERS****

Peel about 2 lbs. of shrimp and take the shells and make stock with them (as described above) and add a tsp. of red pepper, salt to taste, and 1/2 cup of Zatarain's Liquid Crab Boil. 

Next put potatoes and carrots in another pot, cover with water, add the same seasonings as above and boil about 15 minutes. Save this water and the water from the shrimp peelings and use this as the liquid for the stew.

****NOTE***

Tony Chachere's can be used for all above seasonings, but, try to use Zatarain's for the shrimp peelings.

by on Feb. 20, 2009 at 9:55 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ZsMommy
by on Feb. 20, 2009 at 10:11 AM

How the heck are we s'posed to find old recipes-They only list 2 pages...

Anyhow-you had me cracking up at the part bout "too bad" if you didn't have any leftovers-lol

Look forward to new recipes...BTW...When does Mardis gras start? I never know.

Heids

cowgirlmommy03
by on Feb. 20, 2009 at 10:35 AM

IT'S CRAWFISH SEASON IN LOUISIANA!! YAY!!!

I thought this was cute..I found it online its how to boil crawfish!!!

First of all, there are many ways to boil crawfish / shrimp...here is mine. Drink a beer.

I place onions, small red potatoes and small ears of corn in a burlap (mesh type sack)......... (for shrimp, some like this stuff, some don't)-

I bring water to boil after adding creole seasoning (Cajun Injector's or Tony's), red pepper, tabasco or other stuff . Drink another beer.

I place the bag of corn, potatoes, onion in the boiling water and boil for 15 minutes, throwing in a few lemons for good measure...more lemons for shrimp. When doing crawfish, I sometimes also throw in some andouille sausage with the crawfish..

Pull bag out after 15 min. (this is why the burlap or mesh sack)

Bring water to boil again, adding more seasoning. Just in case the last beer was no good, drink nothe'one.

Place crawfish in water and cook for about 10 - 12 minutes, crawfish will turn red and float.  Turn fire off and let soak for about 15 - 20 minutes, placing the bag of corn, etc. back in the water with the crawfish...(Shrimp will only take around 2-3 min of cooking and 2-5 min. of soaking)

When ready, pull corn, etc. out and drain crawfish...then pour crawfish over newspaper previously laid out on table(s)...preferably outdoor (specially if you'd like the wife to let you do it again). 
Must be time to Brink another Deer.

Some people sprinkle seasoning directly on top of the cooked crawfish for additional flavor...some people put a bag of ice in the water after turning the crawfish off... this supposedly causes the crawfish to absorb more spice. I like to put plenty of seasoning in the water to begin with, not on top, or maybe just a slight amount on top.

How much crawfish do you need: This is hard, but in Louisiana, with a mixed crowd: men, women and children, you should have plenty with 3 1/2 to 4 pounds per person, depending on the actual makeup of the group. For non-Louisiana people, (same composition) you should have enough with 2 1/2 - 3  pounds per person. 

When finished, do not pour water on grass, the salt, etc. will kill the grass. 
    Don't forget to check out our spices and seasonings for boiling : "Louisiana Fish Fry, Cajun Injector and Oak Grove Crawfish and Seafood Boils".
I like "Swamp Fire" the best.

cowgirlmommy03
by on Feb. 20, 2009 at 10:37 AM

Mardi Gras is this Tuesday..

Quoting ZsMommy:

How the heck are we s'posed to find old recipes-They only list 2 pages...

Anyhow-you had me cracking up at the part bout "too bad" if you didn't have any leftovers-lol

Look forward to new recipes...BTW...When does Mardis gras start? I never know.

ZsMommy
by on Feb. 20, 2009 at 10:53 AM

Cute (drink another beer) drinking beerLOL...Pinching head and suckin tail-LOL!!!

(Thanks for the Mardis Gras update :)

PS...LOL...I don't know if I could eat a crawfish (not a fan of lobster either)...I used to keep one in my fishtank as a kid (LOL-North Eastern girl here-lol)...Don't think I could eat a "pet"LMAO laughing

Quoting cowgirlmommy03:

IT'S CRAWFISH SEASON IN LOUISIANA!! YAY!!!

I thought this was cute..I found it online its how to boil crawfish!!!

First of all, there are many ways to boil crawfish / shrimp...here is mine. Drink a beer.

I place onions, small red potatoes and small ears of corn in a burlap (mesh type sack)......... (for shrimp, some like this stuff, some don't)-

I bring water to boil after adding creole seasoning (Cajun Injector's or Tony's), red pepper, tabasco or other stuff . Drink another beer.

I place the bag of corn, potatoes, onion in the boiling water and boil for 15 minutes, throwing in a few lemons for good measure...more lemons for shrimp. When doing crawfish, I sometimes also throw in some andouille sausage with the crawfish..

Pull bag out after 15 min. (this is why the burlap or mesh sack)

Bring water to boil again, adding more seasoning. Just in case the last beer was no good, drink nothe'one.

Place crawfish in water and cook for about 10 - 12 minutes, crawfish will turn red and float.  Turn fire off and let soak for about 15 - 20 minutes, placing the bag of corn, etc. back in the water with the crawfish...(Shrimp will only take around 2-3 min of cooking and 2-5 min. of soaking)

When ready, pull corn, etc. out and drain crawfish...then pour crawfish over newspaper previously laid out on table(s)...preferably outdoor (specially if you'd like the wife to let you do it again). 
Must be time to Brink another Deer.

Some people sprinkle seasoning directly on top of the cooked crawfish for additional flavor...some people put a bag of ice in the water after turning the crawfish off... this supposedly causes the crawfish to absorb more spice. I like to put plenty of seasoning in the water to begin with, not on top, or maybe just a slight amount on top.

How much crawfish do you need: This is hard, but in Louisiana, with a mixed crowd: men, women and children, you should have plenty with 3 1/2 to 4 pounds per person, depending on the actual makeup of the group. For non-Louisiana people, (same composition) you should have enough with 2 1/2 - 3  pounds per person. 

When finished, do not pour water on grass, the salt, etc. will kill the grass. 
    Don't forget to check out our spices and seasonings for boiling : "Louisiana Fish Fry, Cajun Injector and Oak Grove Crawfish and Seafood Boils".
I like "Swamp Fire" the best.

Heids

SweetLuci
by on Feb. 20, 2009 at 7:28 PM

I am drooling here! You are making me soooo hungry. I love Louisiana cooking. It's been over a year now since my great-niece's wedding there;  way too long to be away from all that good food; thanks a bunch for sharing. Do you have a recipe for King Cake?

cowgirlmommy03
by on Feb. 20, 2009 at 7:56 PM

Here is my first post on Louisiana Recipes with King Cake recipes!!!!

http://www.cafemom.com/group/6103/forums/read/6957235/Louisiana_Recipes

Quoting SweetLuci:

I am drooling here! You are making me soooo hungry. I love Louisiana cooking. It's been over a year now since my great-niece's wedding there;  way too long to be away from all that good food; thanks a bunch for sharing. Do you have a recipe for King Cake?

puppieluv
by Group Admin on Feb. 21, 2009 at 12:22 PM

KING CAKE 

King Cake

• 3 1/2 cups sifted cake flour
  • 1 1/2 cups sugar
  • 1 cup water
  • 2/3 cup vegetable oil
  • 1/3 cup nonfat dry milk
  • 3 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 8 egg whites
  • Tiny china or plastic baby doll (optional)

Lemon Glaze:

• 1 cup sifted powdered sugar
  • 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
  • 1/2 teaspoon grated lemon rind
  • Dash of salt
  • 2 to 3 tablespoons hot water

Decorations:

• Purple and green sugar crystals
  • Gold dragées

Preheat oven to 375°F. Grease and flour a 10-inch fancy tube pan. Sift flour before measuring and combine with sugar, water, oil, dry milk, baking powder, vanilla, and salt in a bowl. Mix until smooth.

Beat egg whites until stiff and fold into batter until evenly blended. Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake 40 to 50 minutes or until cake bounces back when gently touched in center. Press doll into cake, if using. Turn cake out of pan onto cake rack and cool thoroughly.

Meanwhile, combine lemon glaze ingredients in a small bowl and stir until smooth; drizzle over cooled cake. Decorate cake with colored sugar crystals and dragées.

Makes one 10-inch tube cake, about 20 slices.

For more winning recipes visit:  http://www.cafemom.com/group/slowcookinmoms

PUPPIELUV

cowgirlmommy03
by on Feb. 22, 2009 at 8:45 PM

Bouche Noire

Note: The French name for this dish, bouche noire, means black mouth. The name is obvious when you see 12 ounces of dark chocolate as the main ingredient in this recipe. I must caution you...do not attempt this recipe if you are not a chocolate addict!

Ingredients:

12 ounces Baker's bittersweet chocolate

1 1/2 cups sugar

1/2 cup bourbon

1 cup butter chips, softened

6 eggs, room temperature

1 1/2 tbsps flour

1 cup whipped cream, optional

2 cups sliced Louisiana strawberries, optional

mint leaves, optional

Preheat oven to 375F. Butter a 9-inch springform pan. Place a buttered parchment sheet in the bottom of the pan. Cover the outside of the springform pan with aluminum foil to keep water from entering during the cooking process. Place the cake pan into a large roasting pan with 1-inch sides. Set aside. Chop chocolate into 1/4-inch pieces and place into a large stainless steel mixing bowl. Place 1-inch of water in the bottom of a saucepan and bring to a simmer. Place the bowl of chocolate on top of the saucepan, stirring occasionally as chocolate melts. In a separate saucepan, combine 1 cup sugar and bourbon. Bring mixture to a low boil, stirring occasionally. When sugar is fully dissolved, pour the syrup over the chocolate, stirring constantly, until all is thoroughly melted. Remove the bowl from the saucepan and add butter chips, a few at a time, melting completely before the next addition. In a separate stainless steel mixing bowl, whip the eggs on high speed with flour and remaining 1/2 cup sugar 5 minutes or until pale yellow and thickened. Using a rubber spatula, fold the egg mixture into the melted chocolate and blend until well incorporated. Pour the batter into the springform pan and smooth the top with the spatula. Fill roasting pan with hot tap water until it reaches half way up the side of the springform pan. Place cake in oven and bake for 1 hour. The top of the cake should have a thin dried crust when cooked. Do not over bake. Remove cake from oven and allow to cool 1 hour at room temperature. Cover the pan with clear wrap and place in the refrigerator a minimum of 4 hours. When ready to serve, carefully remove the sides of the springform pan. Place a cake plate or cardboard cake circle on top of the cake and invert to remove the bottom of the pan and parchment paper. This cake is extremely rich and truffle-like in consistency. Cut portions into 1 1/2-inch slices and top with fresh fruit and unsweetened whipped cream. Garnish with julienned mint leaves.

SweetLuci
by on Feb. 26, 2009 at 11:06 PM

Thanks a bunch!

Quoting cowgirlmommy03:

Here is my first post on Louisiana Recipes with King Cake recipes!!!!

http://www.cafemom.com/group/6103/forums/read/6957235/Louisiana_Recipes

Quoting SweetLuci:

ZsMommy
by on Feb. 2, 2010 at 11:34 PM

bump

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)