Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

need a good pinto bean recipe

Posted by on Feb. 23, 2009 at 8:47 AM
  • 10 Replies
  • 1580 Total Views

One like my grandma from West Virginia used to make. I think she used lard. Thanks!

by on Feb. 23, 2009 at 8:47 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SweetLuci
by on Feb. 23, 2009 at 2:19 PM

This may help. It's the way my granny in Kentucky  made pinto beans.

PINTO BEANS

1 pound bag dried pinto beans
salt (to taste)
Ham hocks, salt pork or 3 Tablespoons of  lard
One large onion, chopped

Pick through Pinto Beans and remove rocks and imperfect beans, rinse well and drain. Place in large pot with a thick bottom, like Club Aluminum Dutch Oven with lid. Important: Do not presoak beans. Cooking in this way will cause them to become a beautiful reddish color in a thick soup. My grandma called them "Soup Beans". Place beans and Ham Hocks or other seasoning in the pot and fill almost to the top with water. Bring beans to a boil and reduce heat to medium/low. They will continue to cook and you will have to add more HOT water until beans are tender. When tender, add salt to taste, 2 tablespoons canola oil and one large chopped onion. Continue to simmer...as soup begins to thicken you may have to lower temperature. Be sure that there is an adequate amount of water, cooking down to make a thick red soup. When done, (about 3 hours later) cook the juice down. You can remove the lid when the beans are done and turn the temperature back up to cook down the soup

momofsix317
by Owner on Feb. 24, 2009 at 12:16 PM

Thanks, this sounds like hers. She was from WV, so I bet the recipe was about the same.

SweetLuci
by on Feb. 25, 2009 at 9:13 AM

I thought it would be similar, and I hope it turns out well for you.

OldnWiseMom
by on Aug. 30, 2009 at 2:14 AM

I got brave and tried adding a packet of Taco Bell taco seasoning to my pinto beans and ham last week, and it was SO GOOD!  Easy, cheap, and good!  Perfect combination!

I rinse and sort my beans, put them in my big bean pot with water, ham, a chopped onion, plenty of garlic powder, a little salt, some pepper, and the packet of taco seasoning.  Brought it to a boil, covered it, turned fire off, and waited 1 hour.  Then brought to a boil, covered, and simmered till done (about 1 1/2 hour for me).

I like to season my beans before they rehydrate.  That way, they soak up more flavor.

1 packet of Taco Bell taco seasoning was good with 2 lbs. beans

You're one of God's sweetest blessings!

hugsOldnWiseMom

Judesmom04
by on Aug. 31, 2009 at 9:42 PM

I make mine the same was as Luci posted & i'm from WV. What part was your grandma from?

Quoting momofsix317:

Thanks, this sounds like hers. She was from WV, so I bet the recipe was about the same.

JasNmicahsMommy
by on Oct. 10, 2010 at 9:09 PM

I make beans similar to the recipe below, same process, Just not adding the onion and oil.

Quoting SweetLuci:

This may help. It's the way my granny in Kentucky  made pinto beans.

PINTO BEANS

1 pound bag dried pinto beans
salt (to taste)
Ham hocks, salt pork or 3 Tablespoons of  lard
One large onion, chopped

Pick through Pinto Beans and remove rocks and imperfect beans, rinse well and drain. Place in large pot with a thick bottom, like Club Aluminum Dutch Oven with lid. Important: Do not presoak beans. Cooking in this way will cause them to become a beautiful reddish color in a thick soup. My grandma called them "Soup Beans". Place beans and Ham Hocks or other seasoning in the pot and fill almost to the top with water. Bring beans to a boil and reduce heat to medium/low. They will continue to cook and you will have to add more HOT water until beans are tender. When tender, add salt to taste, 2 tablespoons canola oil and one large chopped onion. Continue to simmer...as soup begins to thicken you may have to lower temperature. Be sure that there is an adequate amount of water, cooking down to make a thick red soup. When done, (about 3 hours later) cook the juice down. You can remove the lid when the beans are done and turn the temperature back up to cook down the soup

ladyluke2007
by on Mar. 1, 2011 at 6:41 PM

Well, you don't have to use lard any more.  lol

I use a one pound bag of pinto beans.  I wash and make sure that there isn't any pebbles in there.  Throw them in the kettle/pot and add enough water to cover beans.  Chop up one med onion and throw it in there, salt and pepper to taste and I add a 1/2 diced ham and ham bone OR I chop up a 1/2 pound of chunk style bacon and throw it in.  Cook until the beans are soft.  Serve with fried potatoes and cornbread.

Good Eatin'

SweetLuci
by on Mar. 13, 2011 at 12:41 PM

Fried potatoes and cornbread are my favorite go with, too. Some sliced tomatoes and onions are great, too. 

Quoting ladyluke2007:

Well, you don't have to use lard any more.  lol

I use a one pound bag of pinto beans.  I wash and make sure that there isn't any pebbles in there.  Throw them in the kettle/pot and add enough water to cover beans.  Chop up one med onion and throw it in there, salt and pepper to taste and I add a 1/2 diced ham and ham bone OR I chop up a 1/2 pound of chunk style bacon and throw it in.  Cook until the beans are soft.  Serve with fried potatoes and cornbread.

Good Eatin'

SweetLuci
by on Mar. 13, 2011 at 12:41 PM

This sounds really good.

Quoting OldnWiseMom:

I got brave and tried adding a packet of Taco Bell taco seasoning to my pinto beans and ham last week, and it was SO GOOD!  Easy, cheap, and good!  Perfect combination!

I rinse and sort my beans, put them in my big bean pot with water, ham, a chopped onion, plenty of garlic powder, a little salt, some pepper, and the packet of taco seasoning.  Brought it to a boil, covered it, turned fire off, and waited 1 hour.  Then brought to a boil, covered, and simmered till done (about 1 1/2 hour for me).

I like to season my beans before they rehydrate.  That way, they soak up more flavor.

1 packet of Taco Bell taco seasoning was good with 2 lbs. beans

momofsix317
by Owner on Oct. 10, 2011 at 11:51 AM

She lived in Yawkey. Both my parents are from WV. I still have family there.

Quoting Judesmom04:

I make mine the same was as Luci posted & i'm from WV. What part was your grandma from?

Quoting momofsix317:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)