Cuban Black Bean Soup
By: William (Uncle Bill) Anatooskin
Apr 18, 2002
A delicious and medium spicy soup.
SERVES 16 (change servings and units)
- 1/2 cup dried red lentil
- 1/2 cup dried brown lentils
- 2 cups water
- 2 (19 fluid ounce) cans black beans, include liquid
- 40 fluid ounces vegetable broth or chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons chicken soup base or 3 chicken bouillon cubes
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed into 1/2 " cubes (about 4 cups)
- 1 cup diced celery root or 2 large ribs celery, diced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 8 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped small (about 3 cups)
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 1 1/2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
- 3 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons crushed dried oregano
- 4 cups water
- 1 teaspoon sambal oelek (paste of fresh chili)
- 4 tablespoons instant mashed potatoes or potato flakes
1Rinse red and brown lentils in cold water.
2In a medium size saucepan, add lentils and 2 cups of water and bring to boil.
3Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
4In a medium size cooking pot, add cooked lentils including liquid, black beans including liquid, broth, chicken soup base, cubed potatoes, celery root and bring to boil.
5Reduce heat, cover and simmer for about 10 minutes.
6In the meantime, to a medium size frying pan, add butter, olive oil, chopped garlic and onions and saute' until onions are translucent, about 5 minutes.
7Add onion mixture to soup pot.
8Add soy sauce, black pepper, chili powder, ground cumin, crushed oregano, 4 cups water and bring to boil.
9Add more water if soup is too thick.
10Reduce heat, cover and simmer for about 10 minutes.
11Remove about 1/3 of the soup into a bowl.
12Using an electric blender, blend and return to soup pot.
13Add Sambal Oelek and instant mashed potatoes; stir well to blend.
14Bring soup just to boil.
15Adjust seasonings to taste.
16Serve soup hot.
17NOTE: You can use dried black beans instead of canned.
18You will require 2 cups of dried beans, soak overnight in water.
19Next day, drain and rinse.
20Canned lentils may also be used instead of dried, Will require 1 (19 fluid ounce) can, include liquid.