Middle Eastern Macaroni 'N Garbanzos
Feb 14, 2002
This is a healthy, flavorful, vegetarian dish. Great served with a salad and some crusty french bread, or alone for a nice, hearty lunch. Very filling, too.
SERVES 6 , 8 cups (change servings and units)
- 12 ounces corkscrew macaroni or elbow macaroni
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon margarine or butter
- 1 large onion, diced
- 2-3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 3/4 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 (15 ounce) can garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup green pepper, diced
- 1/4 cup loosely packed fresh parsley leaves, , I use 1 1/2 Tbsp. dried (, I use 1 1/2 Tbsp. dried)
- parsley sprig (to garnish) (optional)
1In large saucepot, cook pasta according to package directions.
2Meanwhile, in nonstick skillet, heat olive oil and margarine or butter over medium heat until hot and melted.
3Add onion and green pepper and cook 15 min.
4or until tender, stirring occasionally.
5Stir in garlic, salt, cumin, coriander, allspice, and black pepper and cook 1 min.
6Add tomatoes and garbanzo beans; heat to boiling over medium-high heat.
7Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
8Drain pasta; return to saucepot.
9Toss garbanzo mixture with pasta and heat through.
10Mix in parsley.
11Garnish with additional parsley to serve, if desired.