Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

New here

Posted by on May. 7, 2007 at 9:16 PM
  • 6 Replies
  • 268 Total Views
Hi everyone. I'm Jessica. I just turned 21 and I have two boys. Shawn just turned 2 and little Devon is 6 weeks old. I love the fact that they're both mommy's boys but, I feel a little outnumbered. The only other female in my house is the kitten I got last week. And sadly she can't talk. So I'm home all day with the boys by myself. I know nothing about how to raise boys so I'm trying to figure it all out as best I can.
by on May. 7, 2007 at 9:16 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
by on May. 8, 2007 at 8:53 AM
Hi Jessica,
    I am Mary.  I have two boys too but I am quite a bit older than you I am 41.  I am in the same boat but I have a dog not a kitten.  Boys are very active.  Keep that in mind.  If you have anything new or breakable, put it away for about 25 years.  My couch is destroyed from being ships or forts or stepping stone across a crocodile ridden waterway.  No matter what , it is inbread, they love to shoot each other with toy guns.  I kept them out of my house for a long time and still my seven year old learned how to "shoot"at people.  They love the rough and tumble for the most part.  My two love to run after each other.  My 3 year old(next month) looks up to my 7 year old(in 2 months).  Mine like competition.  I hope this helps you somewhat on boys.  I am sure there are many others who are more experienced at raising boys that will give you more info.  Have a good day.

by New Member on May. 8, 2007 at 12:37 PM
I have 4 boys.  I totally agree on putting up anything you don't want broke for a long time.learned the hard way.  Boys will be boys.  Very active is right.  Mine loved to be in dirt playing or sand or anything messy.  If they were doing something and didn't think they looked dirty enough they would get a little more grease or mud or what ever on them.  Then they would come and say they got a lot of work done today.  They are a ball though.  I also have 2 blue heelers and of course they are boys
by Member on May. 22, 2007 at 12:32 PM
Hi Jessica I'm Jo.  I'm new here too.  I have 3 boys going on 4 and am also a lot older than you, I'm 38.  I agree with the others, boys are very active!  They love dirt and my couch is also ruined from various activities.  Rule of thumb, if it's quiet, they are into something they shouldn't be.  When ever my house gets really quiet I know my boys are doing something they should not be doing.  I have found them covered head to toe in mud and buck naked in my back yard in 50 or 60 degree weather.  They wonder why they get sick.

I too have pets and the majority of them are boys with one female dog.  She too does not speak so it gets a bit lonely.  When the only conversation you get is your preschooler you have a tendancy to go a bit insane.  Try to find a local group to join like a moms group or MOPS.  I'm actually starting a MOPS group in my area because there wasn't one where I live.  I have at least 2 moms to talk to twice a month so far.  Now I've found this site and am enjoying it to it's fullest.  I'm finding moms that have a lot in common with me.  Like all of you with just boys.

My oldest is 9 and I have learned that baseball will take up most of your spring time evenings when they get older.  Balancing multiple sports schedules is a challenge and don't let anyone tell you raising boys is easy.  They have a tendancy to go in different directions all at one time.  I agree that the gun thing is imbeded in their brains.  I didn't allow even squirt guns in my home and they were using other toys for guns.  I have no idea where it came from.  I even kept the violent cartoons from them to avoid that.  It doesn't work.  They still do it. 

Climbing is a big one.  They love to climb on anything they can including you.  I have already experienced a cracked scull on my oldest twice and he's only 9.

Try to find high activity play groups for your sons.  Our local rec center had a high energy class for preschoolers/toddlers and it helped my son get some of that energy out.  You might want to start looking now.

Keep in mind that if you go for a 3rd your chaces of getting a girl are much less.  I am finally giving up since my 4th is a boy and he wasn't planned.  Apparently God felt I needed one more boy in my life.

They are great though and keep in mind, you will never have to take the trash out again or mow the lawn or shovel snow.  Once they get bigger that is.

Enjoy them.  They are so much fun!
by New Member on May. 23, 2007 at 9:01 AM
Hi I am mother of one son who I sometimes feel like I have 7 LOL. He is a twin to his sister. But let me tell you I just don't understand it.They wrere both raised together no yrs apart, no different parenting etc but yet he is completly different.  I never have to worry about her, I can leave her alone and come back and find her in the same spot I left her and she is fine. BUT no not w/ my son I can't even leave the room to sneeze w/ out him getting into something. Let's see in one morning before 12 pm he put super glue in his mouth, he flushed stuff down the toilet, he took a crayola marker and marked himself and his sister all up, sprayed the tv w/ some kind of cleaner, then the alst straw was he put salt in my digital camera.  My daughter was sick that morning so I was constantly cleaning her up from throwing up and I kept yelling at my son to come w/ me but each time he would sneak out as I was trying to console my daughter who had that nasty bug going around.  I love when I would call my DH at work and he will say::  Well where were you.  Like I was on the Veranda drinking bloody marys, smoking a cigeratte getting a foot massage.  LOL  Sometimes I want to rip my hair out. 

by Member on May. 23, 2007 at 10:38 AM
It's sybling rivalry.  The only way he could get your attention was to create havoc so you would pay attention to him since you were having to deal with his sister all day.  My oldest was a handful when his first brother came along.  Now he's a helper.  Take a deep breath because boys are a lot like that.  I've turned my back on my boys and found them covered head to toe in mud buck naked in the back yard.  My yard was destroyed and they had to be hosed down before I could even bring them into the house.  I've found markers all over my back seat while driving and I don't mean them spread out I mean the back seat colored in markers.  It's crazy.  Currently my 3 year old likes to run off without me.  He's taken off on his dad and on me several times recently and people think I'm nuts because when I go out now, I put him on a safety leash.  It's the only way I can get stuff done and not lose sight of him.

Try to remind yourself that he's looking for attention.  When you are dealing with a sick child and the other one wants some attention, try telling them that if they are a big helper while you take care of one then the two of you can do something fun after wards.  Reward every good behavior you see because at times like this you need the good to be the focus.  Also, try to let the rest of house work go for the day.  Having twins has to be hard in the first place so when one is sick and the other is starving for attention house work has to be put on the back burner. 

As for your husband, leave him with the kids for half a day over the weekend and he can experience how much fun it is to deal with twins and mention that he should have to try to do the house work too. He may just change his tune a bit.  My husband got his when he got hurt and had to watch the boys while I was at work.  I can guarentee you that the house would be trashed but the kids would have had fun.  You can then ask him what they were doing that the house is totaled before you got home.

Good luck.
by on Jun. 1, 2007 at 4:16 PM
Hi Jessica,
I'm Jackie.  I have 2 boys ages 4 and 2.  Anytime you'd like to chat, just let me know.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)