Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

New Member and Need tips!

Posted by on May. 4, 2007 at 2:58 AM
  • 9 Replies
  • 333 Total Views
Hi I am Michele! I am a new member. I am 41.. well will be 42 in 7 days I guess I should start saying that I am 42! Anyways, I am a single mom of 2 wonderful kids! I make candles as a hobby at the moment. I love making them and would like to eventually make some money at it because I am an at home mom due to physical issues.. My kids are 4 and 11.. I make soy candles. And they are sooooo easy!! I need to learn how to make fancy ones though.. I only know how to do plain candles.. I have seen them look like special drinks or fruits or all kinds of things but still working on regular ones at this point.. having a hard time at the round one and getting that darn seam to disappear!! Any tips on that would be very welcome!!!

Oh yeah.. Thanks Teresa (T-Kay).. I found this site cause I was checkin out your myspace!!

Michele
by on May. 4, 2007 at 2:58 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
Washaw
by New Member on May. 4, 2007 at 6:17 AM
If you will use a little silicone on the seam, that will make it go away, but make sure you let it completely dry before pouring more wax.

I love the soy too, it is the only thing I use now, due to the chemical in other waxes.

I hope you can start making money at making candles, it is so rewarding!!!

Don't hesitate to ask any question, if I cannot answer them, I will find info for you.

Be Blessed,

TK
davidsmomma
by Group Owner on May. 4, 2007 at 1:27 PM
Hello And welcome! Candlemaking is so rewarding for me as a hobby and making some cash too! You said plain candles...are you meaning just plain pillars? There are other molds out there that are seamless molds...that little investment sometimes cuts out a TON of frustration. But Washaw's suggestion of silicone is a good idea...also, if your seam is not an indent but a raised seem...I have a little trick for that. I use a craft nife and go along the edge and cut it off...then you can just over-dip your candle to make it smooth.

Glad you found this group on my myspace site. I was hoping it would help more people to find this group!
CraftyMom46217
by on May. 5, 2007 at 1:55 AM
They plain candles I meant were the short round or short square metal contaianers.. the seam I have is from the mold being a plastic two part mold and it does not close very well and the wax seeps out.. yes I used a craft knife also but did not think of dipping it afterwards.. I wil certainly try that!! Not sure about the silicone thing.. don't know how to use that.. but thanks for your help!!
davidsmomma
by Group Owner on May. 5, 2007 at 8:21 AM

Quoting CraftyMom46217:

Oh yeah.. Thanks Teresa (T-Kay).. I found this site cause I was checkin out your myspace!!
HA HA! I'm so sorry I didn't read this right. You didn't find it off of MY myspace site but TK's...forgive me! new mommy brain!
EtherealZaftig
by New Member on May. 5, 2007 at 4:58 PM
I just started making candles myself.  I bought an excellent book called Candlemaking for fun & profit.  It is one of the few that deal with soy wax.  Anyway, it has a few recipes, but I really enjoyed for the business side & tips.  It has some info on changing wax texture too.  It is out of print, but I found my copy fairly cheap on amazon.com
davidsmomma
by Group Owner on May. 6, 2007 at 9:28 PM

Quoting EtherealZaftig:

I just started making candles myself. I bought an excellent book called Candlemaking for fun & profit. It is one of the few that deal with soy wax. Anyway, it has a few recipes, but I really enjoyed for the business side & tips. It has some info on changing wax texture too. It is out of print, but I found my copy fairly cheap on amazon.com
Yes, Ethereal! I too have that book. A great resource of info in there. Though I didn't realize that it was out of print.  If any of you can get your hands on it, it will be a great investment.
CraftyMom46217
by on May. 8, 2007 at 1:21 AM
Thank you everyone!
SpiritSeeker07
by New Member on Jun. 23, 2007 at 5:59 PM
Hi all, I was just reading the posts about candlemaking books here.  I went to ebay and found quite a few books listed including the "candlemaking for fun and profit"

Candlemaking for Fun & Profit Espino, Michelle

Retail Price: $19.99 Buy It Now: $12.34

Provides information on the basics of candlemaking and how to turn this craft into a profitable home-based business.

I will be looking into this myself the first of the month,  just what I need to help me get going, lol.

SpiritSeeker
davidsmomma
by Group Owner on Jun. 30, 2007 at 10:05 AM
I can vouch for this book. I have it and it is VERY informative.

~Becky
Group Owner
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)