Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Any of these make your reading list?

Posted by on Mar. 7, 2013 at 10:31 AM
  • 12 Replies
  • 378 Total Views

Vogue's Top Ten Books of 2012..

Have you read or plan to read any of these?

by on Mar. 7, 2013 at 10:31 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
tooptimistic
by Hi~ I'm Kelly!! on Mar. 7, 2013 at 10:36 AM

Vogue Daily —

Set on a North Dakota reservation in the 1980s, Louise Erdrich’s National Book Award–winning The Round House (Harper) is a classic Western tale of injustice avenged, grounded in the unforgettable perspective of thirteen-year-old Native American boy coming of age—and into an understanding of what men are capable of.

tooptimistic
by Hi~ I'm Kelly!! on Mar. 7, 2013 at 10:37 AM

Vogue Daily —

Some authors announce their retirements to the media. Not Alice Munro: Dear Life (Knopf), her most personal-feeling collection to date, includes a valedictory coda that encapsulates the master short-story writer’s enduring themes—thwarted mothers, resentful daughters, and dreams of escape.

tooptimistic
by Hi~ I'm Kelly!! on Mar. 7, 2013 at 10:37 AM

Vogue Daily —

Italy’s Alice Munro, the pseudonymous Elena Ferrante, follows the mutually defining friendship between two ambitious young women growing up in a soul-killing 1950s Neapolitan village in the first installment of her projected trilogy, My Brilliant Friend (Europa).

tooptimistic
by Hi~ I'm Kelly!! on Mar. 7, 2013 at 10:39 AM

Vogue Daily —

The son of a hapless pair of bank robbers heads north and takes up with a Kaczynski-like fugitive in Richard Ford’s greatest novel to date, Canada (Ecco), an eerily lyrical—think Terrence Malick’s film Badlands—tale of American dreams gone irrevocably wrong.

tooptimistic
by Hi~ I'm Kelly!! on Mar. 7, 2013 at 10:39 AM

Vogue Daily —

Tracing the rise and fall of a 1960s experiment in utopian living—and one boy’s loss of innocence—Lauren Groff’s Arcadia (Voice) evokes a sense of floating rage and failed American idealism that feels devastatingly twenty-first century.

tooptimistic
by Hi~ I'm Kelly!! on Mar. 7, 2013 at 10:41 AM

Vogue Daily —

Shoah director Claude Lanzmann’s fittingly grand-scale The Patagonian Hare (Knopf) looks back at the experiences that influenced his epic documentary—including his turbulent, formative relationships with Jean-Paul Sartre and Simone de Beauvoir, the latter seventeen years Lanzmann’s senior, and his longtime lover.

tooptimistic
by Hi~ I'm Kelly!! on Mar. 7, 2013 at 10:42 AM

Vogue Daily —

A rarified childhood on the Upper West Side becomes an emotional house of cards in n + 1 cofounder Marco Roth’s The Scientists: A Family Romance (Farrar, Straus and Giroux), which explores the author’s attempts—in part by scouring the totem-like books his medical researcher father gave him—to understand his father and the circumstances surrounding his death, which followed a long struggle with AIDS.

tooptimistic
by Hi~ I'm Kelly!! on Mar. 7, 2013 at 10:42 AM

Vogue Daily —

A library card is a key to the palace gate in Jeanette Winterson’s Why Be Happy When You Could Be Normal? (Grove), which moves from the author’s tragicomic—emphasis on tragic—childhood with her ferociously religious adoptive parents, to her conflicted reunion, decades after she became a famous author, with her biological mother.

tooptimistic
by Hi~ I'm Kelly!! on Mar. 7, 2013 at 10:43 AM

Vogue Daily —

This year’s great culinary memoir, Marcus Samuelsson’s Yes, Chef (Random House) describes the evolution of the Red Rooster owner and executive chef’s approach to food, informed by his incredible family story and full of Proustian taste memories: the Berbere spice blend of his native Ethiopia, the roast chicken of his adoptive Swedish grandmother.

tooptimistic
by Hi~ I'm Kelly!! on Mar. 7, 2013 at 10:44 AM

Vogue Daily —

“The wanting was a wilderness, and I had to find my own way out of the woods,” writes Cheryl Strayed in Wild: From Lost to Found on the Pacific Crest Trail (Knopf), her account of the 1,100-mile solo hike she took in her twenties, encumbered by a giant backpack, fueled by grief over her mother’s sudden death, and recalled in the kind of mordant, hard-won voice that knows broke and blistered and keeps going.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)