Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

If they've read every Harry Potter ...

Posted by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 4:40 PM
  • 10 Replies
  • 383 Total Views

HI - 

How do you keep up with having a voracious reader and keep on top of what they read? 

How do you keep it challenging but still age appropriate? 

Would love recommendations below too - my 9 year old has read all Harry Potters and we've been on the hunt for awesome series books that hit the right spot, and have found quite a few:

He's read and enjoyed :

The Chronicles of Ancient Darkness series by Michelle Paver

Voyage of the Jerle Shannara Trilogy by Terry Brooke

C.S. Lewis (not the horse and his boy) 

All of Willard Price's Adventure series (most out of print, but can still be found on amazon second hand and ebay)  each book is set in a different part of the world with an animal they (two brothers) have to capture for their father. 

Would love some more recs.  Oh and we are starting to read this today and it's free on Amazon right now: 

The Keeper and the Rune Stone - Paige Pendleton (the Black Ledge Series)

NATASHAtypingreading

by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 4:40 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
WendyJR
by Wendy on Jul. 24, 2013 at 5:25 PM
1 mom liked this

Percy Jackson series, Kane chronicles, kingdom keepers, magic tree house (might be a little old for this one), his dark materials series, spider wick chronicles, a series of unfortunate events, warriors series by Erin hunter, under land chronicles by Suzanne Collins, city of ember/people of sparks, holes.
I'm mobile so I cannot make it clickyIt's Clicky now-- here are some other good suggestions.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html?ie=UTF8&docId=1000644451

wifeairforce
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 6:45 PM
1 mom liked this
My DS who's 9 and in advanced reading really likes the chronicles of nick by Sherrilyn Kenyon
Vampirates
Ill look at his books in the morning and ask him what else. I know how hard it is to find books that are at their level but still okay for someone so young to read.
boyd1858
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 11:10 PM
1 mom liked this
Awesome - thanks! He hasn't read the erin hunter or the Suzanne Collins Thank you!

NATASHAtypingreading

boyd1858
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 11:11 PM

Thanks! I'll look into that series :) 

krnelson04
by on Jul. 25, 2013 at 11:16 AM
1 mom liked this

A Wrinkle in Time series, Hunger Games series, The Last Survivors series, The Giver Quartet, The Maze Runner series. Don't forget older ones like Lord of the Flies, Harriet the Spy, My Side of the Mountain, Hatchet, Tuck Everlasting, Holes, Where the Red Fern Grows, and Summer of the Monkeys.  

WendyJR
by Wendy on Jul. 25, 2013 at 12:44 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting krnelson04:

Where the Red Fern Grows,

One of my favorite books of all times. I can't wait until DS (he's only 4) is old enough for this one.

HappyHomestead
by on Jul. 26, 2013 at 8:38 AM
1 mom liked this

Has he read the Guardians of Gahoole series? It is the book the movie Gaurdians of Gahoole was based off of. There are several in the series. http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/8728427-legend-of-the-guardians

The Percy Jackson books http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/28187.The_Lightning_Thief

Lemony Snickets series of Unfortunate Events http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/78411.The_Bad_Beginning

I can't think of anymore just yet. My coffee needs more time to kick in. lol

lizard3731
by on Jul. 26, 2013 at 9:17 AM
1 mom liked this

Suzanne Collins, of Hunger Games fame,  also wrote the Underlander Chronicles, which is intended for younger children. The Hunger Games triology is also very good, but might be a little old for a 9 year old.  Maybe when he's older.   I know it's been mentioned before, but Percy Jackson or anything else Rick Riordan has written is good. 

boyd1858
by on Jul. 26, 2013 at 11:05 AM
1 mom liked this

These are great recs. thanks!  Hatchett is stil one of his favorite books (over HP I think!) and he's definitely enjoyed all rick riordans too. 

I think we'll Try Underlander series next (yes, i have asked him to hold off on Hunger Games) , and where the red fern Grows and some of those other classics. And look into Guardians of gahoul. 

Thank you all SO much :) 

dmartinez0205
by on Jul. 26, 2013 at 11:21 AM
1 mom liked this
Have you tried the How To Train Your Dragon Book Series by Cressida Cowell?
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN