Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mystery/Thriller/Horror Recommendations

Here is the place for all those mystery/thriller/horror books that you just can't wait to share.

Please add a summary of each book, so those that are interested can find out a little more.  Also, please just add new recommendations and not posts that just say "I agree" and "I like that one too".  It will make it a lot easier for everyone to sort through the posts.

Abigail 5/17/06 and Isabelle 10/17/07

"Life's what you make it - so let's make it rock." - Hannah Montana

by on Jun. 21, 2008 at 9:47 AM
Replies (161-168):
naominpipermom
by on Aug. 26, 2011 at 6:12 AM
Believe it or not the pretty little liars is such a good mystery and suspense series I would recomend to everyone I read the books now im hooked on the show
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SMLemos
by on Oct. 28, 2011 at 1:15 PM

I love the Lisa Gardner books.  She has an FBI Profiler series, Detective DD Warren Series and a few stand alone books. I read both series and have the three stand alones to work on.  The FBI Profiler series is a better choise for those that like a little bit of a love story tied in with thriller.  

Also for those that like True Crime stories, I like Ann Rule.  

Title: 18 Seconds

Author: George Shuman

nvestigative consultant Sherry Moore is blind and stunningly beautiful, with the extraordinary ability to “see” the deceased’s last eighteen seconds of memory by touching the corpse. At age five, she was found near death on the steps of a city hospital. A head injury had left her without sight and prevented her from remembering her past. When Sherry discovers she does have sight—sight that transcends death—she learns to use her gift to help others solve mysteries that only she can tap into.

Serial killer Earl Sykes was never caught for his vicious murders. Instead, a deadly traffic accident landed him in prison. Now, almost thirty years later, he returns to the seaside town of Wildwood, New Jersey—and to abducting young female victims from desolate areas of the boardwalk for his gruesome games.

Wildwood police lieutenant Kelly O’Shaughnessy is stymied over the disappearance of young women from the boardwalk—crimes horrifyingly reminiscent of unsolved cases from the seventies. When an old man’s untimely death leads Sherry Moore to Wildwood, O’Shaughnessy’s desperation to stem the bloodshed forces her to accept Sherry’s help, but not without consequence. As the two women join forces to discover the killer’s identity, they unwittingly become the hunted, marching deeper with every step into the monster’s lair.

A law enforcement veteran himself, Shuman packs a realistic style and authentic investigative detail into this taut tale filled with pulse-pounding tension that will send readers right to the edge.

RockinMama0608
by on Mar. 2, 2012 at 2:18 PM

Seed by Ania Ahlborn

This book is about a man who had a dark and disturbing childhood in Georgia.  By the age of 14, he leaves home and travels alone to Louisiana.  Fast forward to his mid-thirties.  Jack seems to have a great life.  He is married with two children and performs in a band with his best friend Reagan.  On his youngest daughter's sixth birthday (Charlie), Jack thinks he sees something in the road and flips his car.  His family is ok but he is disturbed by what he saw and it reminds him of his dark past.  Within the next few days, Charlie starts acting oddly and seems all to familiar for Jack.  Charlie seems to be possessed and the child goes from being happy to dangerous in a matter of days.  Both Jack and Charlie must keep this darkness a secret from everyone. 

The rest of the story describes what happens to Charlie, Jack, Aimee (the wife) and Abby (the oldest daughter).  This book is a great read and wonderfully written.  However, if you are not into possession or stories about the Devil, I would not recommend this book.

elijahsmama09
by on Mar. 3, 2012 at 3:10 PM

Quoting Tysamommynow2xs:

Tanarive Due: My Soul to Keep, The Living Blood and now Blood Colony
Horror/Thriller/Mystery all in one!)
My Soul To Keep (book 1)
From the beginning, Jessica knows that David is different, but life with him seems perfect. With the birth of their daughter, life should be blissful. However, his ageless face and his perfect skin cause her investigative-reporter instincts to start questioning. Also, his lack of interest in the events of her life and work cause her to doubt the completeness of their marriage. By chance, a newspaper story Jessica writes on elder care evolves into a book proposal. Research into one of the cases leads mysteriously to David?her David. As the story develops, Jessica learns the truth about her husband and the choice he made so many centuries ago. David sold his soul for eternal life on Earth. He tells her he is not David, but Dawit, an immortal. Now he is offering her the same choice, against the doctrine of this secret society of believers. Readers are introduced to their world before Jessica discovers the truth. Present-day human interaction and the ways of the immortals are woven together with imagination and suspense. Traditional religious values, exhibited by Jessica's family, add another dimension to the plot and impact on the woman's reaction when she learns the truth. Those familiar with Anne Rice's novels will be instantly drawn into the world of Dawit and the society created by the immortals.

The Living Blood (book 2)
The pantheon of modern horror gods is a small and frighteningly talented group: Stephen King, Anne Rice, Peter Straub, Clive Barker, Dean Koontz--and Tananarive Due. If there is any justice, Due's exciting, powerful, ambitious, scary, and beautifully written supernatural thriller, The Living Blood, will be the first of a decades-long string of hits that will sell millions.

Jessica Jacobs-Wolde's life was destroyed when her husband, David Wolde, disappeared after killing both their daughter Kira and Jessica herself--and reviving Jessica to immortality with his healing blood. David was a Life Brother, member of an ancient, secret, and immortal African clan. Now Jessica, hiding with her surviving daughter in rural Botswana, attempts to make sense of her new existence as she uses her altered blood to save the incurably ill. But her daughter Fana was born with the living blood in her veins, and at the age of 3 can raise a storm, kill with a thought, and possess her mother's mind. The true extent of her abilities is unknown. Jessica's only hope of teaching Fana to control her dangerous talents is to travel to Ethiopia and find the Life Brothers' hidden colony. But the Life Brothers despise the new immortals and may possess the knowledge to end even immortal lives. And others, unknown to Jessica, are searching for her and Fana: Lucas Shepard, a Florida doctor driven to desperation by his young son's untreatable leukemia; ruthless mercenaries in the pay of an aging medical-company executive, who will stop at nothing to gain immortality and the billion-dollar profits that a drug based on the living blood would bring; and a supernatural being or force called the Bee Lady, who stalks Fana in the world of dreams, seeking to possess Fana's mind and powers for her own evil purposes.

The Blood Colony (book 3)
Acclaimed for seven novels, ranging from supernatural thrillers to historical fiction, which have garnered her a multitude of fans and awards, Tananarive Due now imagines the story of an ancient group of immortals -- a hidden African clan that has survived for more than a thousand years -- facing one of the most challenging issues of our time: the AIDS/HIV pandemic.

There's a new drug on the street: Glow. Said to heal almost any illness, it is distributed by an Underground Railroad of drug peddlers. But what gives Glow its power? Its main ingredient is blood -- the blood of immortals. A small but powerful colony of immortals is distributing the blood, slowly wiping out the AIDS epidemic and other diseases around the world.

Meet Fana Wolde, seventeen years old, the only immortal born with the Living Blood. She can read minds, and her injuries heal immediately. When her best friend, a mortal, is imprisoned by Fana's family, Fana helps her escape -- and together they run away from Fana's protected home in Washington State to join the Underground Railroad.

But Fana has more than her parents to worry about: Glow peddlers are being murdered by a violent, hundred-year-old sect with ties to the Vatican. Now, when Fana is most vulnerable, she is being hunted to fulfill an ancient blood prophecy that could lead to countless deaths.

While her people search for Fana and race to unravel the unknown sect's mysterious origins, Fana must learn to confront the deadly forces -- or she and everyone she loves will die.

If anyone is having a hard time finding this, the author is spelled 

elijahsmama09
by on Mar. 3, 2012 at 4:19 PM

Quoting indiansfan213:

my favorite book series is by Laurell K. Hamilton its the Anita Blake series. It is about her being a zompie raiser and she falls for vampires and werewolves. These books are packed with action.

I loved this series, and then I got to Narcissus in CHains, and the wole series did a 180. Suddenly Anita has inherited being a succubus and even though the whole series is based on her being shy/naive sexually and being morally strong...she suddenly has an orgy with 5 men, has sex with a stranger(which describes how enormous he is) and then how she teases, bites(to the point of drawing blood) and licks a wereleopards testicles. It was so off in left field I could not finish the book. I may go back to it at some point...I dont know. It seemed like the author got into soem kinky stuff in her personal life and decided to throw it in. It did not make sense to the story or the growth of the character. I get giving in to desires..and I am in no way a prude, I love a good smut story...but this seemed so off base for Anita.

elijahsmama09
by on Mar. 3, 2012 at 8:17 PM

Horror Authors: Richard Laymon, Brian Keene, Bentley Little, Robert Mccammon, Jack Ketchum, CLive Barker, Richard Montanari, Rollo Gord,

Suspense/Thriller: Lisa Jackson, Lisa Gardner, Tess Geritsen, Charlaine Harris, Tami Hoag, James Dasher, Ted Dekker, Chelsea Cain, Heather Graham, Nora Roberts, Sandra Brown,

Paramornal: CHarlaine Harris, Laurell K Hamilton, Kim Harrison, Jeanine C Stein, Lara Adrian, Patricia Briggs, Jeaniene Frost, J.R Ward, Scott Westerfeld, Cate Tiernan, MAggie SHayne, Karen MArie Moning, P.C CAst, Kelley Armstrong,

MrsAdorkable
by on Mar. 5, 2012 at 3:25 PM

Andrew Vachss

jillc0821
by on Apr. 24, 2012 at 9:24 PM

I just joined this group and I think this my list. I just liked about half the recommendations on page 1!

Okay, I just read Stephen King's 11/22/1967. It was incredible. I loved it!

Right now, I'm reading Nelson Demille's The Lion. This is the first of his that I'm reading and I wish I stared at the beginning of this series instead of the middle. Overall it's a good book, well-written and entertaining.

This post has been locked, replies are no longer allowed.

Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)