Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Classic Recommendations

Here is the spot for all those classics that you think everyone should read.

Please add a summary of each book, so those that are interested can find out a little more.  Also, please just add new recommendations and not posts that just say "I agree" and "I like that one too".  It will make it a lot easier for everyone to sort through the posts.

Abigail 5/17/06 and Isabelle 10/17/07

"Life's what you make it - so let's make it rock." - Hannah Montana

by on Jun. 21, 2008 at 9:48 AM
Replies (31-36):
leetarose
by on Aug. 3, 2010 at 10:57 AM

Catcher in the Rye! A boy who is a misfit so to speak in the private school world trys to make his way through the expectations of his world. My favorite book!

Candyfloss
by on Oct. 27, 2010 at 9:43 AM

The Diary of a Nobody by George and Weedon Grossmith is an utter giggle from beginning to end.

"The Diary of a Nobody, ... is the fictitious record of fifteen months in the life of Charles Pooter, a middle aged clerk of lower middle class status but significant social aspirations .... Other characters include his wife Carrie (Caroline), his son Lupin, his friends Mr Cummings and Mr Gowing, and Lupin's unsuitable fiancee Daisy Mutlar.

The humour derives from Pooter's unconscious gaffes and self-importance, as well as the snubs he receives from those he considers socially inferior, such as tradesmen. In The Diary of a Nobody the Grossmiths create an accurate and amusing record of the manners, customs and experiences of the Londoners of the late Victorian era.

The book has spawned the word "Pooterish" to describe a tendency to take oneself excessively seriously." [snipped from Wiki]

It's been dramatised recently with Huge Bonneville as lead.

This book is my all time favourite. Even (just) pipping Austen's P&P to the #1 spot. Hilarious (if you love fast comic irony).

Also, recommend HIGHLY The Papers of A.G Wentworth esq by H.F. Ellis

"Close to retirement, A.J. Wentworth, though well-intentioned, is a humourless, ineffective educator of the old school. Despite an unshakeable faith in his own methods, he is ill-equipped to deal with the devious vagaries of the modern schoolboy."

Oh my sides!

butterfly on headHappy Crunchy Mama

nonosays
by on Oct. 28, 2010 at 11:31 AM

I really like the suggestions of books by Dickens, such as "Great Expectations", because Dickens encompasses everything in life, like Shakespeare does, and he's endlessly entertaining! Check out this little-read but wonderful Dicken's classic, "Dombey and Son". You'll laugh, you'll cry, you'll never forget it! - nonosays

savedbygrace316
by on Feb. 5, 2011 at 11:08 AM

Breakfast at Tiffany's by Truman Capote

Animal Farm by George Orwell

Tibia
by on Mar. 16, 2011 at 1:47 PM

Don't forget about the The Odyssey.  My favorite book that I read in 8th grade.

jtruax
by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 6:12 PM

I LOVE this book!!!!

This post has been locked, replies are no longer allowed.

Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN