Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Sci-Fi/Fantasy Recommendations

Posted by on Jun. 21, 2008 at 9:49 AM
  • 95 Replies
  • 4013 Total Views
Here is the spot for all of our sci-fi/fantasy recommendations.  Please add a summary of each book, so those that are interested can find out a little more.  Also, please just add new recommendations and not posts that just say "I agree" and "I like that one too".  It will make it a lot easier for everyone to sort through the posts.

Abigail 5/17/06 and Isabelle 10/17/07

"Life's what you make it - so let's make it rock." - Hannah Montana

by on Jun. 21, 2008 at 9:49 AM
Replies (1-10):
knoxmom96
by on Jun. 21, 2008 at 12:38 PM
Series: The Wess'har Wars
Author: Karen Traviss
First Book: City of Pearl
j_l_b
by on Jun. 21, 2008 at 5:21 PM
Title: Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep

Author: Phillip K. Dick

Genre: Sci-Fi

Brief Summary: In an almost post apocalyptic setting a robot bounty hunter is sent to capture a band of runaway robots, and uncovers what his world has become.

** Originally Recommended By Member
samijade **
Bentyswife
by on Jun. 21, 2008 at 8:08 PM
The 10th Kingdom
Pnukey
by on Jun. 21, 2008 at 11:18 PM
Author: Piers Anthony
Series: Xanth

I've been reading it since high school, and still enjoy it at 31! He writes other series as well, but Xanth is my favorite. Two of my friends got me hooked!
time4me2
by on Jun. 21, 2008 at 11:37 PM
I love this series!
Quoting Pnukey:

Author: Piers Anthony
Series: Xanth

I've been reading it since high school, and still enjoy it at 31! He writes other series as well, but Xanth is my favorite. Two of my friends got me hooked!

I was also reading the Terry Brooks - Magic Kingdom Series.  Also Piers Anthony's Blue Adept Series.  I am still trying to read the Wheel of Time Series.
LizKyleighsMom
by on Jun. 22, 2008 at 12:48 PM

Yeah!!!  A post right up my alley;o)  I LOVE LOVE Robert Jordan's WOT series.  Unfortunately he passed before finishing the final book in the series but another author has been chosen to write it off of the recordings and notes that he left.  He did tell his family the final story before passing so it should be really good!!!  Anne McCaffrey's Dragonriders of Pern, Terry Brooks, Terry Goodkind, Mercedes Lackey, RA Salvatore, and Christopher Paolini are also my favs!!!!!  I'm really into series and haven't read a bad or boring book by any of these authors;o)

j_l_b
by on Jun. 22, 2008 at 2:03 PM
by polirishmomma on Aug. 29, 2007 at 8:46 AM

Title: Bitten, Stolen, Dime Store Magic, Industrial Magic, Haunted, Broken, No Humans Involved

Author: Kelley Armstrong

Genre: Science Fiction

Brief summary:  These are the books in the Women of the Otherworld series.They deal with a female werewolf named Elena and her pack, Paige who is a witch, Eve who is a dead witch, and Jaime who is a Necromancer  There is quite a cast of characters(especially Clay).  The books should be read in order due to refrences to past happenings in each book.  Bitten Stolen and Broken all deal with Elena the werewolf, Dime Store Magic and Industrial Magic deal with Paige, Haunted is about Eve, and No Humans Involved is about Jaime.  Some of the "romantic" scenes can be graphic so be warned but this is a great series from a very talented author!  Her website also have novellas that pertain to Elena which are really great. 
www.kelleyarmstrong.com   ENJOY!
j_l_b
by on Jun. 22, 2008 at 2:07 PM

by ontheroad on Aug. 30, 2007 at 5:02 AM

Hi All!

This is my first time with this group.  I love time travel stories and I really loved this one.

Title:  The Time Travelers Wife

Author:  Audrey Neffenegger

Genre:  Sci-Fi/Fiction

Summary:  This is a love story about Henry and Clare.  Henry meets Clare when she is a teenager during one of his time travels.  She grows normally, but he zips in and out of her life at all ages until they meet at just the right time and fall in love.  The story kept me riveted from start to finish.
CymraegDdewines
by on Jun. 22, 2008 at 2:11 PM
The Elric Saga by Michael Moorcock I especially liked Elric of Melnibone and Fortress of the Pearl--- The Apprentice series by Robin Hobb--- The Mists of Avalon by Marion Zimmer Bradley-- Firebrand by Marion Zimmer Bradley--- On a Pale Horse by Piers Anthony (this is part of the Immortal Series, but it is the only one in the series I have read)--- Perdido Street Station by China Mielville--- Imajica by clive Barker--- DragonLance series by Weis & Hickman: Dragonlance Chronicles (vol. 1-3), The Lost Chronicles (vol. 1-2), Dragonlance legends(vol 1-2), The War of Souls (vol. 1-3)---- The Soulforge by Margaret Weis--- Anything by R.A. Salvatore or Tolkein (but that probably goes w/ out saying) A Song of Fire and Ice saga by George R. R. Martin
j_l_b
by on Jun. 22, 2008 at 2:11 PM

by wiener on Aug. 30, 2007 at 12:17 PM

I highly reccomend the dark hunter series

Author:  Sherrilyn Kenyon

Genre:  Sci/Fi Romance

Check out her web page at WWW.dark-hunter.com

This post has been locked, replies are no longer allowed.

Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)