Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Sci-Fi/Fantasy Recommendations

Here is the spot for all of our sci-fi/fantasy recommendations.  Please add a summary of each book, so those that are interested can find out a little more.  Also, please just add new recommendations and not posts that just say "I agree" and "I like that one too".  It will make it a lot easier for everyone to sort through the posts.

Abigail 5/17/06 and Isabelle 10/17/07

"Life's what you make it - so let's make it rock." - Hannah Montana

by on Jun. 21, 2008 at 9:49 AM
Replies (91-95):
FrenchGrey
by on Jan. 26, 2011 at 12:45 PM

I am completely and totally obsssed too! I want more...I neeeeeeeds more.

Quoting Mrs-Mack:

Ha! I was hoping someone would recommend this one! It is my favorite and can't find another series I like as much. Just finished "Shadowfever" yesterday. I'm obsessed!

Quoting FrenchGrey:

The fever series! I'm obsessed!

Darkfever, Bloodfever, Faefever, Dreamfever, Shadowfever (just came out tuesday)

It will change your life....LOL ...ok not really but its now one of my all time favorite series and I read a LOT. If you want to add to your Karen Marie Moning obsession check out her Highlander series. You'll see some of those characters in the last fever book. They are more romance style (super hot) but still fantastic reads. 

cjsk
by on Feb. 11, 2011 at 12:41 PM
I recommend the Dead books by Charlaine Harris. The HBO series True Blood is supppsed to be based on them but is very different from the books.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mrs.BAT
by on May. 25, 2011 at 4:34 AM

I may be in the minority with this one, but I love the movie and thought the book was one of the worst things I've  ever forced myself to read lol. I HATED it and only finished it because I wanted to say I'd read it.

Quoting mupt02:

title   The Princess Bride
author  William Goldman
genre  sci fi fantacy
synopsis  if you saw the movie and enjoyed it you will love the book! the screen play was written by the author it is fantastic and fun!!!!!

Mrs.BAT
by on May. 25, 2011 at 4:49 AM

Wow! I can't believe that Douglas Adams' books aren't listed here. So, I have to recommend The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy (it's a series, but I'm only on the second book so far).

Seconds before the Earth is demolished to make way for a galactic freeway, Arthur Dent is plucked off the planet by his friend Ford Prefect, a researcher for the revised edition of the The Hitch Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy who, for the last fifteen years, has been posing as an out of work actor. Together this dynamic pair begin their journey through space aided by quotes from The Hitch Hiker's Guide "A towel is about the most massively useful thing an interstellar hitchhiker can have" and a galaxy-full of fellow travellers: Zaphod Beeblebrox - the two-headed, three-armed ex-hippie and totally out to lunch president of the galaxy; Trillian, Zaphod's girlfriend (formally Tricia McMillan), whom Arthur tried to pick up at a cocktail party once upon a time zone; Marvin, a paranoid, brilliant and chronically depressed robot; Veet Voojagig, a former graduate student who is obsessed with the disappearance of all the ball-point pens he has bought over the years.

SmileyMoo
by on Oct. 21, 2011 at 8:32 PM

Strongly suggest :)

Quoting j_l_b:

by hoodmomma on Jan. 10, 2008 at 7:03 PM

The Sword of Truth series

by Terry Goodkind

Fantasy

I never really liked fantasy novels, but I honestly could not put these down.

SUMMARY FOR BOOK ONE ~ Wizard's First Rule: 
Millions of readers the world over have been held spellbound by this valiant tale vividly told.

Now, enter Terry Goodkind's world, the world of the Sword of Truth.

In the aftermath of the brutal murder of his father, a mysterious woman, Kahlan Amnell, appears in Richard Cypher's forest sanctuary seeking help ... and more. His world, his very beliefs, are shattered when ancient debts come due with thundering violence.

In their darkest hour, hunted relentlessly, tormented by treachery and loss, Kahlan calls upon Richard to reach beyond his sword-- to invoke within himself something more noble. Neither knows that the rules of battle have just changed ... or that their time has run out.

This is the beginning. One book. One Rule. Witness the birth of a legend.

This post has been locked, replies are no longer allowed.

Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN