Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Romance Recommendations

Posted by on Jun. 21, 2008 at 9:50 AM
  • 97 Replies
  • 4692 Total Views
Here is the spot for all of those romances and love stories to be shared.

Please add a summary of each book, so those that are interested can find out a little more.  Also, please just add new recommendations and not posts that just say "I agree" and "I like that one too".  It will make it a lot easier for everyone to sort through the posts.

Abigail 5/17/06 and Isabelle 10/17/07

"Life's what you make it - so let's make it rock." - Hannah Montana

by on Jun. 21, 2008 at 9:50 AM
Replies (1-10):
j_l_b
by on Jun. 21, 2008 at 5:48 PM

by bylott on Aug. 24, 2007 at 2:25 PM

Title:The Wedding

Author: Nicholas Sparks

Genre: Fiction/Romance

Brief Summary:
As his daughter Anna announces her plans to marry, North Carolina attorney Wilson Lewis wonders when the romance left his relationship with his wife. He observed the loving relationship of his in-laws even after five decades together and wispily wants that too with the woman he loves, his wife. Wilson blames himself that his beloved Jane no longer loves him. He neglected her as work was more important than family. He plans to rectify his error if Jane allows him by showing his love for her for the rest of his life. (This book is somewhat related to The Notebook - which I never read but I saw the movie)
katimae
by on Jun. 21, 2008 at 11:11 PM
1 mom liked this
One Name: Eloisa James...she's absolutely amazing
I read the Pleasure Series and now I am reading the Essex Sisters quartet. She is so amazing and the book are addicting and leave you with an "awww" feeling!
Pnukey
by on Jun. 21, 2008 at 11:16 PM
I'm hooked on Nora Roberts. Some of them have mystery strung in there too, but there's always the Romance that brings me back.
j_l_b
by on Jun. 22, 2008 at 2:23 PM

by sxzmama on Sep. 2, 2007 at 10:12 PM

When i first knew i loved books i when my mom to me to a antique store that had a storhouse of books in it and the one that caught my eye was a Danelle Steel book.  It was:

Title:  The Gift

Author:  Danielle Steel

Genre:  Romance

Summary:  It was a great book about a family touched by a young lady who left them w/ the ultimate gift... to learn to forgive and love. 
On a June day, a young woman in a summer dress steps off a Chicago-bound bus into a small midwestern town.  She doesn't intend to stay.  She is just passing through.  Yet her stopping here has a reason and it is part of a story that you will never forget.

The time is the 1950s, when life was simpler, people still believed in dreams, and family was, very nearly, everything.  The place is a small midwestern town with a high school and a downtown, a skating pond and a movie house.  And on a tree-lined street in the heartland of America, an extraordinary set of events begins to unfold.  And gradually what seems serendipitous is tinged with purpose.  A happy home is shattered by a child's senseless death.  A loving marriage starts to unravel.  And a stranger arrives--a young woman who will
touch many lives before she moves on.  She and a young man will meet and fall in love.  Their love, so innocent and full of hope, helps to restore a family's dreams.  And all of their lives will be changed forever by the precious gift she leaves them.

The Gift, Danielle Steel's thirty-third best-selling work, is a magical story told with stunning simplicity and power.  It reveals a relationship so moving it will take your breath away.  And it tells a haunting and beautiful truth about the unpredictability--and the wonder--of life.
j_l_b
by on Jun. 22, 2008 at 2:59 PM

I also love historical romances!  I know, I know, please no lectures.  But if YOU are into them also read ANYTHING by Katherine Woodiwiss especially

Title:  Shana

Author:  Kathleen E Woodiwiss

Genre:  Romance/Historical

Summary:  Behind the foreboding walls of Newgate Prison, a pact is sealed in secret -- as a dashing and doomed criminal consents to wed a beautiful heiress. . .in return for one night of unparalleled pleasure.

In the fading echoes of hollow wedding vows, a promise is broken -- as a sensuous free-sirit flees to a lush Caribbean paradise, abandoning the handsome stranger she married to the gallows. But Ruark Beauchamp's destiny is now eternally intertwined ewith his exquisite, tempestuous Shanna's. And no iron ever forged can imprison his magnificent passion. . .and no hangman's noose will deny him the ecstasy that is rightfully his.

4whynot
by on Jun. 22, 2008 at 3:40 PM
I am not a romance reader at all.  I tend to think they set women up for failure, but The Notebook and The Wedding are wonderful books!!  Also you can't just see the movie of The Notebook, you really need to read the Book.  Like most made from book movies, the book is just so much better and ends differently!!.  Also, a little FYI, The Notebook is based on  Nicholas Sparks' wife's grandparents romance.
Quoting j_l_b:

by bylott on Aug. 24, 2007 at 2:25 PM

Title:The Wedding

Author: Nicholas Sparks

Genre: Fiction/Romance

Brief Summary:
As his daughter Anna announces her plans to marry, North Carolina attorney Wilson Lewis wonders when the romance left his relationship with his wife. He observed the loving relationship of his in-laws even after five decades together and wispily wants that too with the woman he loves, his wife. Wilson blames himself that his beloved Jane no longer loves him. He neglected her as work was more important than family. He plans to rectify his error if Jane allows him by showing his love for her for the rest of his life. (This book is somewhat related to The Notebook - which I never read but I saw the movie)
Jenn71973
by on Jun. 22, 2008 at 4:09 PM
If you like historical romance I would try reading books by Jude Devereaux and Julie Garwood
Pnukey
by on Jun. 23, 2008 at 3:36 PM
Oh, why would there be lectures? Historical romances are great! They're also the only way I know anything about history. I read a lot of Iris Johansen in HS. It's historical. It's romantic. Those manly men. Mmm.
Quoting j_l_b:

I also love historical romances!  I know, I know, please no lectures. 
chefmartha
by on Jun. 23, 2008 at 3:45 PM
Definitely Jude Devereaux books. I keep reading them over and over again. Right now my favorite ones of her's to re-read are ......
           The Mullberry Tree
           First Impressions
and    Someone to Love

Oh and any of her historical Montgomery/ Taggart books.

chefmartha2004
j_l_b
by on Jun. 24, 2008 at 11:47 AM
by Gooneybird on Aug. 24, 2007 at 2:04 PM

TITLE:  Grand Avenue

AUTHOR:  Joy Fielding

GENRE:  Romance

SUMMARY:  Looking back, it seemed like paradise: livesfilled with the blessings of friendship, marriage, children, and career. For twenty years, four friends -- Chris, Barbara, Susan, and Vicki -- shared everything and faced the challenges of life and love head-on. Now, one sits alone to ponder the strange twists of fate and circumstance. Now, she must sift through the past to discover exactly what went wrong, how dreams turned to nightmares as friendships faded and lives were destroyed....

Joy Fielding unlocks the secrets hidden within even the closest relationships in a powerful and mesmerizing novel that explores the meaning of unconditional love.

This post has been locked, replies are no longer allowed.

Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)