Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Historical Fiction Recommendations

Posted by on Jun. 21, 2008 at 9:51 AM
  • 73 Replies
  • 5765 Total Views
Here is where all of our recommendations for historical fiction can go.

Please add a summary of each book, so those that are interested can find out a little more.  Also, please just add new recommendations and not posts that just say "I agree" and "I like that one too".  It will make it a lot easier for everyone to sort through the posts.

Abigail 5/17/06 and Isabelle 10/17/07

"Life's what you make it - so let's make it rock." - Hannah Montana

by on Jun. 21, 2008 at 9:51 AM
Replies (1-10):
bisouu
by on Jun. 21, 2008 at 10:50 AM
The Birth of Venus.....The Red Tent.....Pilars of the Earth
j_l_b
by on Jun. 21, 2008 at 5:33 PM

by LesHug on Aug. 22, 2007 at 9:12 AM

Title:  Gap Creek: The story of a marriage

Author:  Robert Morgan

Genre:  Historical Fiction

Summary:  This wonderful book is about the love and struggle of a new marriage in the south at the turn of the century. The heroin(sp) in this book is very strong. It was one of Oprah's book club picks. I really recommend any Robert Morgan novel, he is a fantastic writer, he also does poetry.
j_l_b
by on Jun. 21, 2008 at 5:49 PM

by bylott on Aug. 24, 2007 at 2:25 PM

Title: Outlander Seires (Outlander, Dragonfly in Amber,Voyager,Drums of Autum, The Firey Cross, A Breath of Snow and Ashes)

Author:Diana Gabaldon

Genre: Historical/Time travel with some romance

Brief Summary:  After being separated by seven years of World War II, Claire and Frank Randall return to the Scottish Highlands for a second honeymoon. Left to her own devices while her husband immerses himself in historical pursuits, Claire inadvertently enters a circle of standing stones and is plunged back 200 years to a Scotland on the verge of the second Jacobite uprising. Her pluck and skill as a nurse win the Scots' grudging respect, but only marriage to a Scot will save her from the clutches of Frank's vicious forbear, Black Jack Randall.
Bentyswife
by on Jun. 21, 2008 at 8:09 PM
Sue Harrison Trilogies
The Ivory Carver Trilogy
&
The story teller Trilogy

TeacherMomInGA
by on Jun. 22, 2008 at 12:30 PM

Beulah Land series by Lonnie Coleman

Eugenia Price has several series: Georgia, St. Simons, Florida. They are all wonderful!

j_l_b
by on Jun. 22, 2008 at 1:56 PM

by mrsjeni on Aug. 26, 2007 at 10:51 AM

First I must say that I love the Outlander series...and it has been mentioned.  GREAT books.  She also wrote one that focused on Lord John, called Lord John and the Private Matter.

Title:  Pillars of the Earth

Author:  Ken Follett

Genre:  Historical Fiction

Summary:A radical departure from Follett's novels of international suspense and intrigue, this chronicles the vicissitudes of a prior, his master builder, and their community as they struggle to build a cathedral and protect themselves during the tumultuous 12th century, when the empress Maud and Stephen are fighting for the crown of England after the death of Henry I. The plot is less tightly controlled than those in Follett's contemporary works, and despite the wealth of historical detail, especially concerning architecture and construction, much of the language as well as the psychology of the characters and their relationships remains firmly rooted in the 20th century. This will appeal more to lovers of exciting adventure stories than true devotees of historical fiction. (Amazon)
j_l_b
by on Jun. 22, 2008 at 2:26 PM

by MaPainter on Sep. 4, 2007 at 12:59 AM

Title: Water For Elephants

Author: Sara Gruen

Genre: Historical Fiction

Brief Summary:  The adventures of a college dropout who runs away to the circus, as told by himself at age 90ish. This book has everything! Love, drama, mystery, everything! I really like how they never give anything away!
j_l_b
by on Jun. 22, 2008 at 2:49 PM
1 mom liked this
Title:  The Book Thief

Author:  Markus Zusak

Genre:  Historical Fiction/YA (Young Adult)

Summary:  It is 1939. Nazi Germany. The country is holding its breath. Death has never been busier, and will become busier still.

By her brother's graveside, Liesel Meminger's life is changed when she picks up a single object, partially hidden in the snow. It is The Grave Digger's Handbook, left there by accident, and it is her first act of book thievery. So begins a love affair with books and words, as Liesel, with the help of her accordion-playing foster father, learns to read. Soon she is stealing books from Nazi book-burnings, the mayor's wife's library, wherever there are books to be found.

But these are dangerous times. When Liesel's foster family hides a Jew in their basement, Liesel's world is both opened up and closed down.

In superbly crafted writing that burns with intensity, award-winning author Markus Zusak has given us one of the most enduring stories of our time.
delphinide
by on Jun. 22, 2008 at 11:10 PM
Wilbur Smith writes great historical fiction....When Lions Feed is the first in the series.
time4me2
by on Jun. 22, 2008 at 11:15 PM
Beneath a Marble Sky - John Shors

This post has been locked, replies are no longer allowed.

Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)