Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Historical Fiction Recommendations

Here is where all of our recommendations for historical fiction can go.

Please add a summary of each book, so those that are interested can find out a little more.  Also, please just add new recommendations and not posts that just say "I agree" and "I like that one too".  It will make it a lot easier for everyone to sort through the posts.

Abigail 5/17/06 and Isabelle 10/17/07

"Life's what you make it - so let's make it rock." - Hannah Montana

by on Jun. 21, 2008 at 9:51 AM
Replies (71-73):
amberp1
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 7:45 AM
1 mom liked this

The Other Boleyn Girl

Philipa Gregory

Historical Fiction, Henry VIII court

This story is told through the eyes of Anne Boleyns sister, Mary who was once the lover of Henry VIII and is a recap of her life in his court and the relationship between her and her infamous sister and how she survived this life. This is my absolute favorite novel ever. This bom is phenomenal. If you have seen the movie, PLEASE diregard it! It is NOTHING like the book. The movie was AWFUL.

RedSoxWife
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 7:56 AM
All phillipa gregory novels... delish ;0)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
showfan
by on Nov. 10, 2011 at 10:06 AM

Anything by Allan W. Eckert.  Most of his books deal with the settling of the Ohio River Valley in the mid-late 1700's and the early 1800's.  Lots of historical details wrapped up in an exciting narrative.  Two of my favorites of his are "A Sorrow In Our Hearts", about Tecumseh, and "That Dark and Bloody River", a history of the Ohio River.  His books are classified as fiction, but they are very historically accurate. Allan did a lot of research on them (and yes, I'm entitled to call him Allan  I knew him and his wife quite well at one time).  In fact, my History professor in college gave me my first Eckert book and highly recommended them.

Jean Auel's Children of the Earth series.  First one is "Clan of the Cave Bear", and deals with a 5 year old girl who was separated from her people by an earthquake and taken in and raised by The Clan.  Lots of information about prehistoric life -- much of it fiction but based on artifacts, cave drawings and other information surmized from what has survived.  The first couple of books are the best.  Quality tailed off a bit in the last couple of books.

These are very old, but if you can find them, excellent -- books by F. Van Wyk Mason -- make sure you  are getting the historical fiction books and not a mystery (unless, of course, you like vintage mysteries - they are good also).  Mostly about revolutionary war America and beyond.  My favorite is "Eagle In the Sky", which follows 3 young medical apprentices/doctors during the time of the American Revolution.

Again, older books, but Noel B. Gerson has some very good historical fiction about notable 18th and 19th century Americans, including James K. Polk, Andrew Jackson, etc. 

Jean Plaidy wrote a number of very good historical novels about the Royal Families of England.  I like her Plantagenet books the best, but all are good.

If you like mysteries, Sharon K. Penman writes a series that are historically based and take place in the late 13th century British Isles.   Anne Perry has 2 historically based mystery series' set in Victorian England.  They are mystery first and historical second, but the historical detail is accurate.  My favorite is the Thomas/Charlotte Pitt series.  Starts out with Thomas as a London police officer and is now moving into the founding of Scotland Yard.  Excellent mysteries and gives a very good picture of the class system in England.   

This post has been locked, replies are no longer allowed.

Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)