Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

General Fiction Recommendations

Posted by on Jun. 21, 2008 at 9:52 AM
  • 135 Replies
  • 5682 Total Views
Here is the spot for all of those fiction books that just don't seem to fit into any other category.

Please add a summary of each book, so those that are interested can find out a little more.  Also, please just add new recommendations and not posts that just say "I agree" and "I like that one too".  It will make it a lot easier for everyone to sort through the posts.

Abigail 5/17/06 and Isabelle 10/17/07

"Life's what you make it - so let's make it rock." - Hannah Montana

by on Jun. 21, 2008 at 9:52 AM
Replies (1-10):
jochims
by on Jun. 21, 2008 at 2:28 PM

Cover good read love it

j_l_b
by on Jun. 21, 2008 at 5:19 PM
Title: Bread Alone

Author: Judi Hendricks

Genre: Fiction

Brief Summary: Bread alone is a book about women impowerment, a women who has her whole life turned upside down when her upperclass husband decideds he doesn't want to be married anymore. How she starts her life over and finds herself. It's a good book I enjoyed it very much, I think if your looking for something to read that will lift up your spirits then this is the book. Check it out and tell me what you think.

** Originally Recommended By Member
supermom6733 **
j_l_b
by on Jun. 21, 2008 at 5:24 PM

by Worm0703 on Aug. 19, 2007 at 8:04 PM

Title: Julia's Chocolates

Author: Cathy Lamb

Genre: Adult

Summary: Julia the victum of abuse past and present struggles to cope with her new life after leaving her fiance at the alter. After moving to a new town to live with her aunt, she finds new friends and a new love with lots of new struggles along the way. It will make you laugh and cry at the same time. A great read!

j_l_b
by on Jun. 21, 2008 at 5:29 PM
by lizzytish1031 on Aug. 20, 2007 at 10:55 AM

Title:  The Sunday List of Dreams

Author:  Kris Radish

Genre:  Fiction

Summary:  Connie Nixon is no stranger to making lists.  In fact, she has rewritten the list of her deepest desires no fewer than forty-eight times.  And each Sunday, for as long as she can remember, she's tinkered with it.  But actually doing something about her desires is a different story--until the night she comes across a box belonging to her estranged daughter...and makes a stunning discovery .  It turns out that her seemingly straitlaced Jessica is part owner of one of the most successful sex toy shops in America.

Shocked by her daughter's secret life, Connie tucks her list in her back pocket and does something utterly impulsive:  she hops on a plane to New York City to track down Jessica--and winds up on the wildest adventure of her life.  Because with her daughter's help, Connie's about to let her own inner bombshell se the light of day.

Now for the first time ever, things are flying off Connie's list.  Like reconnecting with her daughter.  And getting tipsy before noon.  And the most startlingly extraordinary desire of all:  Falling in Love.
j_l_b
by on Jun. 21, 2008 at 5:44 PM

by nygirlie22 on Aug. 23, 2007 at 10:19 AM

I have 2 by the same author

Title: The Kite Runner

Author: Khaled Hosseini

Genre: Adult Fiction (Made Into A Movie)

Summary: This book takes place in Afghanastan between 1975-present day. It is about a boy and his relationsip with is father. It is amazing.

Title: A Thousand Splendid Suns

Author: Khaled Hosseini

Genre: Adult Fiction

Summary: This book also takes place in Afghanastan during hte same time period but in a different part. It is about a girla dn her mother and the struggles they had to endure. It is not necessary to read them in order but they are both wonderful and captivating. It took me 2 days to read each of them.
j_l_b
by on Jun. 21, 2008 at 5:45 PM

by MissShon on Aug. 23, 2007 at 5:20 PM

Title: Mommy's Angel

Author:Miasha

Genre: Adult

Brief Summary: struggles of a teen trying to make ends meet for her siblings after the breadwinner, her brother, is robbed and killed; her mom drifted into depression and started using drugs, while working in a strip club, being raped by her moms boyfriend Angel struggles to be strong and keep food on the table; follow along while she experiences things a 15 year old should never have to face.

A great read, I finished this book in a weekend.
j_l_b
by on Jun. 21, 2008 at 5:52 PM
1 mom liked this

by the_littleminx on Aug. 24, 2007 at 2:32 PM

TITLE: The Memory Keeper's Daughter

AUTHOR: Kim Edwards

GENRE: Fiction (Made Into A Movie For TV)

SYNOPSIS: Edwards's assured but schematic debut novel (after her collection, The Secrets of a Fire King) hinges on the birth of fraternal twins, a healthy boy and a girl with Down syndrome, resulting in the father's disavowal of his newborn daughter. (from Amazon.com)
j_l_b
by on Jun. 22, 2008 at 2:01 PM

by JacquieRogers on Aug. 25, 2007 at 3:40 AM

Here's a book I enjoyed so I just copied from my blog.  If you liked The DaVinci Code, then you'll probably like this one, too.  I sure did!

The Reincarnationist

by M.J. Rose

MIRA Books
ISBN: 978-0-7783-2420-1

For true entertainment--thrills, chills, and a wild ride--The Reincarnationist fills the bill and then some.

Since his near-death caused by a suicide bomber, photo-journalist Josh Ryder's life has become impossible. Gone are his job, his wife, and all he knew. Without warning, Josh becomes Julius, a Roman priest a Roman priest in 391AD, fighting for not only his life but that of his lover's, as well as the sacred rites they've held holy for thousands of years. Just as quickly, he returns to present day as Josh.

His world is even more confused when an archeologist who's excavating a tomb of a Vestal Virgin, is murdered. Josh describes the killer to Rome's police, but is held as a suspect. The beautiful archeologist Gabriella Chase gets him released from prison, but then he's caught up in a web of love, both past and present, murder, extortion, and deceit.

The pages fly by as Josh and Gabriella are tossed from one mystery to another, sometimes fighting for their very lives. I thoroughly enjoyed The Reincarnationist from cover to cover and I highly recommend this book. Take a comfy seat and let M.J. Rose unravel this mysterious adventure for you!
j_l_b
by on Jun. 22, 2008 at 2:52 PM
by mamarocks555 on Sep. 11, 2007 at 9:23 PM

Title:  Balzac and the Little Chinese Seamstress

Author:  Daj Saijie

Genre:  Fiction

Summary:  The Cultural Revolution of Chairman Mao Zedong altered Chinese history in the 1960s and '70s, forcibly sending hundreds of thousands of Chinese intellectuals to peasant villages for "re-education." This moving, often wrenching short novel by a writer who was himself re-educated in the '70s tells how two young men weather years of banishment, emphasizing the power of literature to free the mind. The warmth and humor of Sijie's prose and the clarity of Rilke's translation distinguish this slim first novel, a wonderfully human tale. (Amazon)
Really vivid picture, sounds depressing but actually lovely little book.
j_l_b
by on Jun. 22, 2008 at 3:08 PM
Title:  The Five People You Meet In Heaven

Author:  Mitch Albom

Genre:  Fiction (Oprah's Book Club AND Made Into A Movie For TV)

Summary:  Eddie is a grizzled war veteran who feels trapped in a meaningless life of fixing rides at a seaside amusement park. His days are a dull routine of work, loneliness, and regret.

Then, on his 83rd birthday, Eddie dies in a tragic accident, trying to save a little girl from a falling cart. He awakens in the afterlife, where he learns that heaven is not a lush Garden of Eden, but a place where your earthly life is explained to you by five people. These people may have been loved ones or distant strangers. Yet each of them changed your path forever.

One by one, Eddie’s five people illuminate the unseen connections of his earthly life. As the story builds to its stunning conclusion, Eddie desperately seeks redemption in the still-unknown last act of his life: Was it a heroic success or a devastating failure? The answer, which comes from the most unlikely of sources, is as inspirational as a glimpse of heaven itself.

In The Five People You Meet in Heaven, Mitch Albom gives us an astoundingly original story that will change everything you’ve ever thought about the afterlife -- and the meaning of our lives here on earth. With a timeless tale, appealing to all, this is a book that readers of fine fiction, and those who loved Tuesdays with Morrie (which is a memoir and in the memoir section), will treasure.

Title:  For One More Day

Author:  Mitch Albom

Genre:  Fiction (Made Into A Movie For TV)

Summary: 

"Every family is a ghost story . . ."

Mitch Albom mesmerized readers around the world with his number one New York Times bestsellers, The Five People You Meet in Heaven and Tuesdays with Morrie. Now he returns with a beautiful, haunting novel about the family we love and the chances we miss.

For One More Day is the story of a mother and a son, and a relationship that covers a lifetime and beyond. It explores the question: What would you do if you could spend one more day with a lost loved one?

As a child, Charley "Chick" Benetto was told by his father, "You can be a mama's boy or a daddy's boy, but you can't be both." So he chooses his father, only to see the man disappear when Charley is on the verge of adolescence.

Decades later, Charley is a broken man. His life has been crumbled by alcohol and regret. He loses his job. He leaves his family. He hits bottom after discovering his only daughter has shut him out of her wedding. And he decides to take his own life.

He makes a midnight ride to his small hometown, with plans to do himself in. But upon failing even to do that, he staggers back to his old house, only to make an astonishing discovery. His mother - who died eight years earlier -- is still living there, and welcomes him home as if nothing ever happened.

What follows is the one "ordinary" day so many of us yearn for, a chance to make good with a lost parent, to explain the family secrets, and to seek forgiveness. Somewhere between this life and the next, Charley learns the astonishing things he never knew about his mother and her sacrifices. And he tries, with her tender guidance, to put the crumbled pieces of his life back together.

Through Albom's inspiring characters and masterful storytelling, readers will newly appreciate those whom they love - and may have thought they'd lost -- in their own lives. For One More Day is a book for anyone in a family, and will be cherished by Albom's millions of fans worldwide.

This post has been locked, replies are no longer allowed.

Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)