Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

General Fiction Recommendations

Here is the spot for all of those fiction books that just don't seem to fit into any other category.

Please add a summary of each book, so those that are interested can find out a little more.  Also, please just add new recommendations and not posts that just say "I agree" and "I like that one too".  It will make it a lot easier for everyone to sort through the posts.

Abigail 5/17/06 and Isabelle 10/17/07

"Life's what you make it - so let's make it rock." - Hannah Montana

by on Jun. 21, 2008 at 9:52 AM
Replies (111-120):
momma2bubbas
by on Sep. 2, 2009 at 9:22 AM

I just finished Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen.

Excellent!

momma2bubbas
by on Sep. 2, 2009 at 9:26 AM

whoops new here, here is a brief summary:

Jacob Jankowski suffers a terrible tradedy as a young man finishing veternarian school. He runs from his pain and stumbles upon a traveling circus, 1931.

Love, heartache, and triumph over pain result. A romance, a tragedy, a really awesome read.

Go for it!

YuleTime
by on Sep. 23, 2009 at 10:12 AM

Her Fearful Symmetry by Audrey Niffenegger

I had the chance to read this book before it comes out. The book will be available for release on 9/29.  I loved it. The book was nothing like Niffenegger's first novel, The Time Traveler's Wife, but the writing style is the same.  It is the type of book that will have you thinking about it for weeks trying to put all the pieces together.

Synopsis (from Amazon.com): Following her breakout bestseller, The Time Traveler's Wife, Audrey Niffenegger returns with Her Fearful Symmetry, a haunting tale about the complications of love, identity, and sibling rivalry. The novel opens with the death of Elspeth Noblin, who bequeaths her London flat and its contents to the twin daughters of her estranged twin sister back in Chicago. These 20-year-old dilettantes, Julie and Valentina, move to London, eager to try on a new experience like one of their obsessively matched outfits. Historic Highgate Cemetery, which borders Elspeth's home, serves as an inspired setting as the twins become entwined in the lives of their neighbors: Elspeth's former lover, Robert; Martin, an agoraphobic crossword-puzzle creator; and the ethereal Elspeth herself, struggling to adjust to the afterlife. Niffenegger brings these quirky, troubled characters to marvelous life, but readers may need their own supernatural suspension of disbelief as the story winds to its twisty conclusion.

Audrey Niffenegger's Web Site: http://audreyniffenegger.com/her-fearful-symmetry

megan.meza
by on Oct. 6, 2009 at 3:04 PM

tittle: delias crossing

author: V.C. Andrews

The struggles of immigrants crossing from Mexico into the United States are a patchwork of the horrors of reality and the hope of escape into a life that can offer so much more. For fifteen-year-old Delia, crossing into the U.S. is the easy step toward her unknown future. Unfortunately, the horrors of reality that become her life make the past her only source of escape.

Upon the unexpected deaths of both her parents, Delia is sent from the comfort of her small Mexican village to live under the guardianship of her wealthy estranged aunt in Palm Springs, California. Unknowingly, Delia is flying away from the only love she will ever truly know and into the depths of a hell that no decent or morally sound individual could imagine. Delia is not greeted with open arms and sincere regrets at the loss of her parents, but by a hard steel-like slap to the face and malicious threats should she ever mention her connection to her aunt to anyone – even the people living in the house. She is now a servant in the house and must never speak Spanish again.

Of course, the truth will out. Delia’s cousins learn of her existence and take their newfound knowledge in stride. Edward, her older and kinder cousin, fights on behalf of Delia and becomes her protector against the evils of her aunt and cousin Sophia, whose jealousy rages as she strives to make Delia’s existence as difficult as possible. The ultimate goal is to remove Delia, Sophia’s boyfriend, and Delia’s love interest in one fatal blow. Sophia’s cunning and deceit seemed to be limited to cruel adolescent selfishness, but when her plans lead to murder and her joy escalates at the fall of so many lives to avenge her hurt feelings, Delia’s fear for her own life comes into sharp focus.

Escaping back into Mexico is the only way for Delia to find her heart and soul and recover from the hell that her life has come to. The crossing requires an inner strength that many cannot muster, but Delia’s will to live and return to the arms of her grandmother are her only saving grace - home to Mexico, or nothing at all.

megan.meza
by on Oct. 6, 2009 at 3:14 PM

.tittle delia's heart

author: V.C. andrews

Delia is back in the clutches of her evil aunt and cousin once more with the dawning of Delia's Heart. Now a high school senior nearing the end of her time in the private school that she must attend with her cousin Sophia, Delia is on edge and ever alert for any signs of potential danger. Sophia’s jealousy is more dangerous than a dragon, and Delia is the fuel to Sophia’s fire.

With Ignacio hidden in Mexico and thought to be dead by all in the U.S., Delia’s knowledge of his continued existence is enough to bring many lives to great risk. Her correspondence with him is her only link to sanity and love, but it is also the most dangerous and risky course she could follow. If anyone were to find out about his whereabouts, especially Sophia…

But while Ignacio is a hidden treat within her heart and soul, Delia’s life is an open target for manipulation by her power and money-hungry aunt. When Delia is invited to dine with one of the area’s wealthiest families and to meet a senatorial candidate, her aunt sees opportunity blooming on the tree and grabs greedily, through Delia, every chance that falls before them. The politician’s son is enchanted by Delia, and it takes little time for a whirlwind romance to sweep them off their feet. Delia’s world is spinning quickly out of focus, and it is with a painful crash back to earth that the reality of Delia’s life and origins reassert themselves.

Sophia’s jealousy once again takes lives and throws them needlessly away. Yet again, her arrogant, horrible mother does nothing to hold her accountable and responsible. Instead, the lives of whole families, individuals, and people’s souls end up paying dearly for her hatred, animosity, and evil nature. Delia is left to fend for herself, alone and abandoned, perhaps for the best - perhaps not.

Jaedynnsmommy
by on Oct. 11, 2009 at 10:32 AM

I have several recommendations..

James Patterson- The Alex Cross Series and The Women's Murder Club

Sandra Brown- Play Dirty( all her books are good)

Nora Roberts- The Three Sisters Island Trilogy( if you like fantasy and romance its great) Also The MacGregors( there are about 10 books in all..Got some great comedy in it but mostly romance)

Jodi Picoult- Anthing at all by her I would recommend..Be ready to cry with some of her books..I think Handle With Care would be a good book to start with..It was the second one I read..

I've taken a few recommendations and I've decided to read

Mitch Albom- One More Day, The 5 People You Meet In Heaven( saw the movie but would like to read the book)

Tom Perotta- Little Children

John Katenbach- The Madman's Tale

Chuck Palahniuk- Invisible Monsters

Nicholas Sparks- The Rescue

Katrina Kittle- The Kindness of Strangers

Gabrielle Zevin- Elsewhere

They sound like really good books..Thanks for the Recommendations..

sunidayz
by on Oct. 12, 2009 at 9:53 AM

I just read this also and it was really good.  One of my favorites that I have read in awhile...

Her Fearful Symmetry by Audrey Nefinnger.

beans13
by on Oct. 17, 2009 at 10:40 PM

I just read HENRY'S SISTER'S by Cathy Lamb....loved it and picked up, "The Last time I was me", today.  Can't wait to start it.

Title: Henry's Sister's

Author: Cathy Lamb

Genre: Adult

Life for the Bommarito sisters has been anything but easy.  Growing up with a mother who suffered from debilitating depression, twins Isabelle and Cecilia, and their younger sister Janie had to take care of themselves and their special needs brother Henry more often than not.  Each woman has grown up and dealt with the scars of her childhood in her own way.

When Isabelle and Janie get letters from their mother, she informs them she will have open-heart surgery.  She needs the sisters to help run the family bakery and take care of Henry and their aging grandmother.  Unsurprisingly, they each flatly refuse to return.  But through threats, intimidation and tears, Cecilia is able to convince both women to come home to

steelraider05
by on Nov. 17, 2009 at 3:24 AM

Right now I'm reading The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Society by Mary Ann Shaffer and Annie Barrows. It's a novel compiled of letters and it's different than any other book I've read. It takes place on the island of Guernsey during the german occupation. Very interesting and I'd recommend it to everyone! I'd love to see THIS book made into a movie!! Happy Reading!!!

mommieof3pa
by on Nov. 18, 2009 at 7:09 AM

This book sound kinda like the movie that was on Lifetime Movie Channel it was called Gracie,

Is this book based on that movie?

This post has been locked, replies are no longer allowed.

Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)