Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

General Fiction Recommendations

Here is the spot for all of those fiction books that just don't seem to fit into any other category.

Please add a summary of each book, so those that are interested can find out a little more.  Also, please just add new recommendations and not posts that just say "I agree" and "I like that one too".  It will make it a lot easier for everyone to sort through the posts.

Abigail 5/17/06 and Isabelle 10/17/07

"Life's what you make it - so let's make it rock." - Hannah Montana

by on Jun. 21, 2008 at 9:52 AM
Replies (121-130):
chije
by on Sep. 6, 2010 at 7:15 PM

I'm reading THE INCONVENIENT WIFE by Megan Chance.  If you like period pieces, this might be for you.  It is about Lucy, a society woman in NYC in the 1880's.  She feels smothered in her marriage and social life.  She yearns to have the freedom to paint and read poetry, but is forbidden.  Her inability to cope with high society and the constraints it puts her under cause her to lose her temper from time to time.  This is seen as hysteria by her husband who takes her from one doctor to another for a "cure".  It is fascinating to read about how women were treated back then.  The things that are completely normal feelings for a woman were considered a mental disorder and the treatments were insane!  I'm very close to finishing the book now and can hardly put it down.  On a scale from 1-10, I would give it a 7.5.

mrsnikifrank
by on Sep. 15, 2010 at 12:47 PM

If you are looking for a really FUNNY set of books to read then you will love the "Stephanie Plum Series" by Janet Evanovich! I have gotten so many people interested in these books! They are so good and funny beyond anything i've ever read! Janet Evanovich just came out with a new book relating to the Stephanie Plum Series. The character's name is Diesel and she just published the first book staring Diesel. It's called Wicked Appetite. You can read the first 4 chapters if you vist her web site. Evanovich.com

carismama
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 9:29 AM

I finished "The Help" by Kathryn Stockett.  Fantastic book following three women in the 1960's during the civil rights movement in Mississippi.  I am a young Yankee, and although I know the historical facts of the CRM, having an emotional book about it brought it to life for me.  This is a "deep breath" book where sometimes it will shock you enough to need a break.  I love charged books like that.  Hope you like it too!  :)

rachelbarresi
by on Oct. 10, 2010 at 9:51 PM

this book was a fun easy read, i really enjoyed it

denverlori
by on Oct. 20, 2010 at 10:27 AM

I am currently reading Auntie Mame: An Irreverent Escapade by Patrick Dennis. It is from the 1950s and is hilarious! 

happenstance
by on Nov. 1, 2010 at 11:11 AM

Love, Love, Love this book! The 2nd one is just as good as the first too!

domenica_rose
by on Nov. 26, 2010 at 9:23 PM

Hey all!!  This is my first post in this group :)  I just finished reading a book called "Daughter of Darkness" by V.C. Andrews.  It was really good if you like the vampire stuff!!  Completely different from all the other vamp books out there though.  The end was a little odd and the beginning is a bit slow, but it quickly gets your attention and curiosity!!  

kennethsmom910
by on Oct. 24, 2011 at 9:37 AM

Little Black Dress by Susan McBride

K_D88
by on Nov. 30, 2011 at 5:06 PM

Plain Truth Jodi Picoult:

The discovery of a dead infant in an Amish barn shakes Lancaster County to its core. But the police investigation leads to a more shocking disclosure: circumstantial evidence suggests that eighteen-year-old Katie Fisher, an unmarried Amish woman believed to be the newborn's mother, took the child's life. When Ellie Hathaway, a disillusioned big-city attorney, comes to Paradise, Pennsylvania, to defend Katie, two cultures collide -- and for the first time in her high-profile career, Ellie faces a system of justice very different from her own. Delving deep inside the world of those who live "plain," Ellie must find a way to reach Katie on her terms. And as she unravels a tangled murder case, Ellie also looks deep within -- to confront her own fears and desires when a man from her past reenters her life.

Handle with Care Jodi Picoult:

Every expectant parent will tell you that they don't want a perfect baby, just a healthy one. Charlotte and Sean O'Keefe would have asked for a healthy baby, too, if they'd been given the choice. Instead, their lives are made up of sleepless nights, mounting bills, the pitying stares of "luckier" parents, and maybe worst of all, the what-ifs. What if their child had been born healthy? But it's all worth it because Willow is, well, funny as it seems, perfect. She's smart as a whip, on her way to being as pretty as her mother, kind, brave, and for a five-year-old an unexpectedly deep source of wisdom. Willow is Willow, in sickness and in health.

Everything changes, though, after a series of events forces Charlotte and her husband to confront the most serious what-ifs of all. What if Charlotte should have known earlier of Willow's illness? What if things could have been different? What if their beloved Willow had never been born? To do Willow justice, Charlotte must ask herself these questions and one more. What constitutes a valuable life?

Emotionally riveting and profoundly moving, Handle with Care brings us into the heart of a family bound by an incredible burden, a desperate will to keep their ties from breaking, and, ultimately, a powerful capacity for love. Written with the grace and wisdom she's become famous for, beloved #1 New York Times bestselling author Jodi Picoult offers us an unforgettable novel about the fragility of life and the lengths we will go to protect it.

Barcloff17
by on Dec. 4, 2011 at 2:30 AM
To Kill a Mockingbird is a very good book! It's about a girl named Scout who is only about in the first-third grade but it's pretty adult-ish. So, Scout has a father who is a lawyer and is working on a case in which a black man is accused of raping a white woman. Also, she talks about her neighbor, Boo Radley as she calls him, who keeps to himself. She, her brother Jem, and their friend Dill go on countless mischievous adventures. Overall it's a very good book that's set in the time where black people were treated unfairly

This post has been locked, replies are no longer allowed.

Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN