Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

General Fiction Recommendations

Here is the spot for all of those fiction books that just don't seem to fit into any other category.

Please add a summary of each book, so those that are interested can find out a little more.  Also, please just add new recommendations and not posts that just say "I agree" and "I like that one too".  It will make it a lot easier for everyone to sort through the posts.

Abigail 5/17/06 and Isabelle 10/17/07

"Life's what you make it - so let's make it rock." - Hannah Montana

by on Jun. 21, 2008 at 9:52 AM
Replies (21-30):
j_l_b
by on Jun. 24, 2008 at 1:39 PM

by Debera on Dec. 9, 2007 at 1:40 AM

I suggest the below book ... profound, entertaining, and just a good read!

Family Tree By Barbara Delinsky

GENRE:  Fiction

SUMMARY:  When Dana and Hugh Clarke's baby is born into their wealthy, white New England seaside community, the baby's unmistakably African-American features puzzle her thoroughly Anglo-looking parents. Hugh's family pedigree extends back to the Mayflower, and his historian father has made a career of tracing the esteemed Clarke family genealogy, which does not include African-Americans. Dana's mother died when Dana was a child, and Dana never knew her father: she matter-of-factly figures that baby Lizzie's features must hark back to her little-known past. Hugh, a lawyer who has always passionately defended his minority clients, finds his liberal beliefs don't run very deep and demands a paternity test to rule out the possibility of infidelity. By the time the Clarkes have uncovered the tangled roots of their family trees, more than one skeleton has been unearthed, and the couple's relationship—not to mention their family loyalty—has been severely tested. Delinsky (Looking for Peyton Place) smoothly challenges characters and readers alike to confront their hidden hypocrisies. Although the dialogue about race at times seems staged and rarely delves beyond a surface level, and although near-perfect Dana and her knitting circle are too idealized to be believable, Delinsky gets the political and personal dynamics right.
mupt02
by on Jun. 24, 2008 at 3:43 PM

by jbean3 on Sep. 28, 2007 at 10:38 AM

Hello.  I'm new here so I will just start by adding a few of the last books I read.

Sleep Toward Heaven
By:  Amanda Eyre Ward
Fiction
Summary:  Sleep Toward Heaven is a luminous story of murder and desire, solitude and grace, set in Manhattan and small-town Texas. In Gatestown, twenty-nine-year old Karen awaits her execution on Death Row. In New York, Franny, a doctor the same age, plans her wedding and tries to resist her urge to run. In Austin, Celia, a brassy young librarian, mourns her lost husband. Over the course of one summer, the three women's disparate lives intertwine.

Forgive Me
By:  Amanda Eyre Ward
FictionFrom the acclaimed author of How to Be Lost comes a gorgeous new novel about love, memory, and motherhood.Nadine Morgan travels the world as a journalist, covering important events, following dangerous leads, and running from anything that might tie her down. Since an assignment in Cape Town ended in tragedy and regret, Nadine has not returned to South Africa, or opened her heart–until she hears the story of Jason Irving. Jason, an American student, was beaten to death by angry local youths at the height of the apartheid era. Years later, his mother is told that Jason’s killers have applied for amnesty.
Summary: 

The Book of Lost Things
By:  John Connolly
Fiction
Summary:  David's mother is seriously ill. When she dies, David is very upset to learn, a short time later, his father's new girlfriend, Rose, is pregnant and that they are all moving to her home in the British countryside while the war in Europe escalates. David hates everything about Rose, and his new baby brother, George. The only positive thing about the move is that Rose allows him to stay in the book-filled room that once belonged to her uncle Jonathan, w...

mupt02
by on Jun. 24, 2008 at 3:46 PM

by mom2colin on Oct. 2, 2007 at 12:57 PM

Title: Between the Tides
Author:  Patti Callahan Henry
Genre:  Fiction
Brief Summary: The book portrays a woman burdened by her past and the choices she must face to break free.  (beware - there is the death of a child in this book - very sad)

mupt02
by on Jun. 24, 2008 at 3:51 PM
She's Come Undone
Wally Lamb
In this engaging first novel, narrator Dolores Price recounts her life story from age four to age 40; her relentless parade of disasters makes for interesting reading.

White Oleander
Janet Finch
 Astrid Magnussen, the teenage narrator of Janet Fitch's engrossing first novel, White Oleander, has a mother who is as sharp as a new knife. An uncompromising poet, Ingrid despises weakness and self-pity, telling her daughter that they are descendants of Vikings, savages who fought fiercely to survive. And when one of Ingrid's boyfriends abandons her, she illustrates her point, killing the man with the poison of oleander flowers. This leads to a life sentence in prison, leaving Astrid to teach herself the art of survival in a string of Los Angeles foster homes.
WAY BETTER THAN THE MOVIE!!!

***originally posted by hea210***

mupt02
by on Jun. 24, 2008 at 3:59 PM

by Chrissy315 on Sep. 30, 2007 at 5:47 PM

I loved The Historian by Elizabeth Kostova ( adult fiction)
its about a young girls search for her father.  Who she believes has been kidnapped by Count Dracula.  The story is long but well written.

I also liked The Thirteenth Tale by Diana Setterfield (adult fiction) A popular author would like to have her memoirs writter.  She is a recluse and not healthy.  She hires a young girl to write her story. Her story is fascinating a very good read.

mupt02
by on Jun. 24, 2008 at 4:03 PM
White Oleander by Janet Finch
Adult Fiction
The relationship between mothers and daughters is as deep as it is complex. White Oleander is a unique look at the powerful connection between the heroine Astrid and her mother, Ingrid, a headstrong poet. The two have an inseparable bond that shatters when Ingrid murders a former lover and suffers a life of imprisonment. Astrid becomes one of thousands of foster children in Los Angeles. As she shuffles from one house to the other, Astrid draws strength from the certainty of her own self worth, given to her by her mother

***originally posted by ramsdent***

j_l_b
by on Jun. 24, 2008 at 5:03 PM
by Stopthatboys on Dec. 30, 2007 at 2:31 PM

TITLE:  Geek Love

AUTHOR:  Katherine Dunn

SUMMARY:  Geek Love is the story of the Binewskis, a carny family whose mater- and paterfamilias set out–with the help of amphetamine, arsenic, and radioisotopes–to breed their own exhibit of human oddities. There’s Arturo the Aquaboy, who has flippers for limbs and a megalomaniac ambition worthy of Genghis Khan . . . Iphy and Elly, the lissome Siamese twins . . . albino hunchback Oly, and the outwardly normal Chick, whose mysterious gifts make him the family’s most precious–and dangerous–asset.

As the Binewskis take their act across the backwaters of the U.S., inspiring fanatical devotion and murderous revulsion; as its members conduct their own Machiavellian version of sibling rivalry, Geek Love throws its sulfurous light on our notions of the freakish and the normal, the beautiful and the ugly, the holy and the obscene. Family values will never be the same.
j_l_b
by on Jun. 24, 2008 at 6:07 PM

by EvelynJean on Apr. 21, 2008 at 8:47 AM

I love so many different books this is hard one but here we go:

Title: Memoirs of a Geisha

By: Arthor Golden

Genre: Fiction (Made Into A Movie AND 1001 Books To Read Before You Die)

Summary: An epic on an intimate scale, Memoirs of a Geisha takes the reader behind the rice-paper screens of the geisha house to a vanished floating world of beauty and cruelty, from a poor fishing village in 1929 to the decadence of 1940s Kyoto, through the chaos of World War II to the towers of the Waldorf Astoria Hotel, where the gray-eyed geisha Sayuri unfolds the remarkable story of her life.  

Title: Suzanne's Diary for Nicholas

Author: James Patterson

Genre: Fiction

Summary: 
Katie Wilkinson has found the perfect man at last—but one day he disappears from her life, leaving behind only a diary for her to read.

The diary is written by a woman named Suzanne and is addressed to her new baby boy, Nicholas. In it she pours out her heart about the joy he has brought her.

j_l_b
by on Jun. 24, 2008 at 7:45 PM

by WrtrMom on Sep. 26, 2007 at 10:04 AM

What a fun topic! I have re-discovered

TITLE:  The Shell Seekers

AUTHOR:  Rosamunde Pilcher

SUMMARY:  I love this book about the relationships of an aging mother with her children. It's filled with adventure, romance, and all kinds of complicated relationships. Plus, it's set in England and Pilcher is so good at depicting a beautiful setting!

j_l_b
by on Jun. 24, 2008 at 7:54 PM

by erinld2005 on Oct. 4, 2007 at 1:00 PM

Title: Star

Author: Pamela Anderson

Genre:  Fiction (Fictional Autobiography)

Summary: I couldn't believe Pamela Anderson could write a good story. It's about a nieve girl who gets into the model/acting buisness.  It's actually a great story. (Some of the sex scenes rock too!)Just look out for things like a show called Lifeguards, and Mann Magazine ..... If  you like it read the sequel Star Struck.

This post has been locked, replies are no longer allowed.

Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)