Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

General Fiction Recommendations

Here is the spot for all of those fiction books that just don't seem to fit into any other category.

Please add a summary of each book, so those that are interested can find out a little more.  Also, please just add new recommendations and not posts that just say "I agree" and "I like that one too".  It will make it a lot easier for everyone to sort through the posts.

Abigail 5/17/06 and Isabelle 10/17/07

"Life's what you make it - so let's make it rock." - Hannah Montana

by on Jun. 21, 2008 at 9:52 AM
Replies (31-40):
j_l_b
by on Jun. 24, 2008 at 8:01 PM

by jdrsmom4eva on Oct. 7, 2007 at 11:04 AM  

TITLE:  THE BIG BEAUTIFUL

AUTHOR:  PAMELA DUNCAN

GENRE:  FICTION

SUMMARY:  THIS REMARKABLY SOULFUL NOVEL IS FILLED WITH TENDERNESS, HUMOR, AND A QUIET RAGE A GRACEFUL STORY OF SELF DISCOVERY AND BOUNDLESS FAITH

j_l_b
by on Jun. 24, 2008 at 8:08 PM

by AMarie1979 on Oct. 9, 2007 at 1:00 PM

Title: The Rescue

Author: Nicholas Sparks

Genre: Fiction

Brief Summary: A woman is in a car accident with her young son during a severe storm with heavy downpours. When rescue workers arrive, she wakes to find her son is missing. He is about 3 or 4 and is mute. He cannot call for help, so a search party is called out. One rescuer in particular goes to extra lengths to find him, making it a personal journey for him. It goes through the emotions of a mother losing a child, to a family being formed. It really is an amazing book.

j_l_b
by on Jun. 24, 2008 at 8:30 PM

by my2kiddos on Oct. 29, 2007 at 9:04 PM

Just finished an EXCELLENT book:

TITLE:  Love And Other Impossible Pursuits

AUTHOR:  Ayelet Waldman

GENRE:  Fiction

SUMMARY:  In this moving, wry, and candid novel, widely acclaimed novelist Ayelet Waldman takes us through one woman's passage through love, loss, and the strange absurdities of modern life.

Emilia Greenleaf believed that she had found her soulmate, the man she was meant to spend her life with. But life seems a lot less rosy when Emilia has to deal with the most neurotic and sheltered five-year-old in New York City: her new stepson William.

Now Emilia finds herself trying to flag down taxis with a giant, industrial-strength car seat, looking for perfect, strawberry-flavored, lactose-free cupcakes, receiving corrections on her French pronunciation from her supercilious stepson, and attempting to find balance in a new family that's both larger, and smaller, than she bargained for.

In Love and Other Impossible Pursuits Ayelet Waldman has created a novel rich with humor and truth, perfectly characterizing one woman's search for answers in a crazily uncertain world.
mupt02
by on Jun. 25, 2008 at 10:18 AM

by 2_n_hlf_angels on Nov. 20, 2007 at 8:54 PM

Sorry if this has already been suggested.

Sisters
Danielle Steele
Fiction
Trials and tribulations of tragic events within one family
I read this book in a day and was so moved by the togetherness of it all. I am pregnant, so I balled my face off. If anyone reads I hope you really enjoy it.

mupt02
by on Jun. 25, 2008 at 10:19 AM

by Melissa92 on Nov. 24, 2007 at 8:38 AM

Title:  Life Expectancy

Author:  Dean Koontz

Gengre:  Fiction

Summary:  This is the story of a man's life and the 4 or 5 (I can't remember which) dates in his life that are suppose to change the course of his life.  These dates were predicted by his dying grandfather who died in one hospital room while the main character of the story was being born in another.  It has alot of sarcastic humour which really breaks up the tension when these dates approach and the main character has to survive them.

mupt02
by on Jun. 25, 2008 at 10:20 AM

by frugalmommy on Nov. 25, 2007 at 8:20 PM

My Sister's Keeper
Jodi Piccoult
Fiction

Others have suggested it, I just wanted to add how much I loved this book. A mother finds out her daughter has cancer, and they decide to have a 3rd child to use for organ/blood/stem cell donations. Each chapter is told from a different person's perspective. This book really makes you think. Warning; it's a tear jerker.

mupt02
by on Jun. 25, 2008 at 10:23 AM

by GabstersMom on Nov. 25, 2007 at 8:39 PM

Title:     Love in the Time of Cholera
Author:     Gabriel Garcia Marquez
Genre:     Fiction

Yes, it is now a movie that I am dying to see - but I have this thing about reading the book before I see the movie when the movie is based on a book...

About a one sided love affair that lasts for fifty one years, nine months and four days, until they meet again.....ahhhhh

Serious reading

mupt02
by on Jun. 25, 2008 at 10:30 AM
y Caiged on Nov. 27, 2007 at 1:31 PM
Title:   The Confederacy of Dunces
Author: John Kennedy Toole
Genre: Fiction
Brief Summary:  Follows the adventures of an educated 30-something man living in New Orleans with his mother. Interesting in the way the language is used, from lower-class franglaise to the impressive, yet off-kilter, narratives of the main character.

mupt02
by on Jun. 25, 2008 at 10:31 AM

by modia on Nov. 28, 2007 at 8:03 AM

Title: Circle of friends
Author: Maeve Binchy
Genre: not sure
Brief Summary: Benny and Eve are close friends growing up in a small villiage. they know all the sins of everyone int he villiage but their own. they go to college in Dublin, where they meet new people, learn about betrayal, and heartbreak. log hidden lies will surface... It is a really good book I really enjoyed it since it wasnt really the kind of book I read, it was good.

mupt02
by on Jun. 25, 2008 at 10:35 AM
Title: The Tin Box
Author: Holly Kennedy
Brief Summary: A young girl loses her mother in a tragic accident. Her and the father both could never really accept their loss. The father becomes an alcoholic and goes from job to job moving his daughter to different states. Finally, they seem to settle into one place a little longer where forever friends are made, and many things transpire throughout their life.

***originally posted by jacnzac***

This post has been locked, replies are no longer allowed.

Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)