Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

General Fiction Recommendations

Here is the spot for all of those fiction books that just don't seem to fit into any other category.

Please add a summary of each book, so those that are interested can find out a little more.  Also, please just add new recommendations and not posts that just say "I agree" and "I like that one too".  It will make it a lot easier for everyone to sort through the posts.

Abigail 5/17/06 and Isabelle 10/17/07

"Life's what you make it - so let's make it rock." - Hannah Montana

by on Jun. 21, 2008 at 9:52 AM
Replies (91-100):
Bluetears
by on Sep. 20, 2008 at 10:31 PM

anything by Ayn Rand.  She is my favorite author.  Here is an excerpt from her book, Anthem.  It gives a good look at the core of her beliefs.

"This, my body and spirit, this is the end of the quest.  I wished to know the meaning of things.  I am the meaning.  I wished to find a warrant for being.  I need no warrant for being, and no word of sanction upon my being.  I am the warrant and the sanction.  It is my eyes which see, and the sight of my eyes grants beauty to the earth.  It is my ears which hear, and the hearing of my ears gives its song to the world.  It is my mind which thinks, and the judgment of my mind is the only searchlight that can find the truth.  It is my will which chooses, and the choice of my will is the only edict I must respect.  Many words have been granted me, and some are wise, and some are false, but only three are holy: "I will it!" ... "At first, man was enslaved by the gods.  But he broke their chains.  Then he was enslaved by the kings.  But he broke their chains.  He was enslaved by his birth, by his kin, by his race.  But he broke their chains. He declared to all his brothers that a man has rights which neither god nor king nor other men can take away from him, no matter what their number, for his is the right of man, and there is no right on earth above this right."

Anthem - Ayn Rand.

jbean3
by on Oct. 28, 2008 at 10:08 AM

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/Time-of-My-Life/Allison-Winn-Scotch/e/9780307408570

See Inside!Time of My Life by Allison Winn Scotch: Book Cover

Synopsis

Jillian Westfield has the perfect suburban life straight out of the upscale women's magazines that she obsessively reads. She’s got the modern-print rugs of Metropolitan Home, the elegant meals from Gourmet, the clutter-free closets out of Real Simple, and the elaborate Easter egg hunts seen in Parents. With her successful investment banker husband behind the wheel and her cherubic eighteen-month-old in the backseat, hers could be the family in the magazines’ glossy Range Rover ads.

Yet somehow all of the how-to magazine stories in the world can’t seem to fix her faltering marriage, banish the tedium of days spent changing diapers, or stop her from asking, “What if?”

Then one morning Jillian wakes up seven years in the past. Before her daughter was born. Before she married Henry. Suddenly she’s back in her post–grad school Ikea-furnished Manhattan apartment. She’s back in her fast-paced job with the advertising agency. And she’s still with Jackson, the ex-boyfriend and star of her what-if fantasies.

Armed with twenty-twenty hindsight, she’s free to choose all over again. She can use the zippy ad campaigns from her future to wow the clients and bosses in her present. She can reconnect with the mother who abandoned her so many years before. She can fix the fights at every juncture that doomed her relationship with Jackson. Or can she?

With each new choice setting off a trajectory of unforeseen consequences, Jillian soon realizes that getting to happily ever after is more complicated than changing the lines in her part of the script. Happiness, it turns out,isn’t an either-or proposition. As she closes in on all the things she thought she wanted, Jillian must confront the greatest what-if of all: What if the problem was never Henry or Jackson, but her?

Sharp, funny, and heartwarming, Time of My Life will appeal to anyone who has ever wanted to redo the past and will leave readers pondering, “Do we get the reality we deserve?”

bocamom62
by on Oct. 28, 2008 at 3:06 PM

This is one of my top 5 faves.  I read it the for the 1st time when it was released in 1984 & I re-read it every year or so (as I am doing now).  Even though I have never been to England & didn't live thru WWII, if I close my eyes, i can see the story unfolding.  I did not watch the movie on LifeTime (or the 1 made with the lady who played Jessica Fletcher made in the early 90's) because this is 1 book that is a million times better than any movie.

Quoting j_l_b:

by WrtrMom on Sep. 26, 2007 at 10:04 AM

What a fun topic! I have re-discovered

TITLE:  The Shell Seekers

AUTHOR:  Rosamunde Pilcher

GENRE:  Fiction

SUMMARY:  I love this book about the relationships of an aging mother with her children. It's filled with adventure, romance, and all kinds of complicated relationships. Plus, it's set in England and Pilcher is so good at depicting a beautiful setting!

07gradmom
by on Mar. 26, 2009 at 8:38 PM

"the blue cotton gown" by patricia harman. This book is about a midwife/gyn in West Virginia that works hard with patients that she cares deeply about while her own health goes downhill and her practice owes the IRS major money. I started reading this and couldnt stop.

I'm Wrae. I have three kids.. Cameron (4), Julian (2) and Lillian ( 1 year). I work full time as an addictions counselor and love it. I am 26 years old. I am biracial. I did not breast feed, used disposable diapers, vaccinated all three kids, do not co-sleep ,and my house is never clean. I am from Kentucky and love it, but I am not a stereotypical Kentuckian.

07gradmom
by on Mar. 26, 2009 at 8:39 PM

Quoting jbean3:

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/Time-of-My-Life/Allison-Winn-Scotch/e/9780307408570

See Inside!Time of My Life by Allison Winn Scotch: Book Cover

Synopsis

Jillian Westfield has the perfect suburban life straight out of the upscale women's magazines that she obsessively reads. She’s got the modern-print rugs of Metropolitan Home, the elegant meals from Gourmet, the clutter-free closets out of Real Simple, and the elaborate Easter egg hunts seen in Parents. With her successful investment banker husband behind the wheel and her cherubic eighteen-month-old in the backseat, hers could be the family in the magazines’ glossy Range Rover ads.

Yet somehow all of the how-to magazine stories in the world can’t seem to fix her faltering marriage, banish the tedium of days spent changing diapers, or stop her from asking, “What if?”

Then one morning Jillian wakes up seven years in the past. Before her daughter was born. Before she married Henry. Suddenly she’s back in her post–grad school Ikea-furnished Manhattan apartment. She’s back in her fast-paced job with the advertising agency. And she’s still with Jackson, the ex-boyfriend and star of her what-if fantasies.

Armed with twenty-twenty hindsight, she’s free to choose all over again. She can use the zippy ad campaigns from her future to wow the clients and bosses in her present. She can reconnect with the mother who abandoned her so many years before. She can fix the fights at every juncture that doomed her relationship with Jackson. Or can she?

With each new choice setting off a trajectory of unforeseen consequences, Jillian soon realizes that getting to happily ever after is more complicated than changing the lines in her part of the script. Happiness, it turns out,isn’t an either-or proposition. As she closes in on all the things she thought she wanted, Jillian must confront the greatest what-if of all: What if the problem was never Henry or Jackson, but her?

Sharp, funny, and heartwarming, Time of My Life will appeal to anyone who has ever wanted to redo the past and will leave readers pondering, “Do we get the reality we deserve?”

i read this book and loved it!

I'm Wrae. I have three kids.. Cameron (4), Julian (2) and Lillian ( 1 year). I work full time as an addictions counselor and love it. I am 26 years old. I am biracial. I did not breast feed, used disposable diapers, vaccinated all three kids, do not co-sleep ,and my house is never clean. I am from Kentucky and love it, but I am not a stereotypical Kentuckian.

busywithkids
by on Apr. 9, 2009 at 2:13 PM

I just finished a wonderful book!

Title:  Still Alice

Author: Lisa Genova

Genre: General Fiction

Summary:  A Harvard professor in her 50's has early onset Alzheimers.  Story is told from her point of view.  Shows family dynamics with grown children,  and how the progression affects her and the family.

An excellent book.  I cried.

sunidayz
by on Apr. 10, 2009 at 6:50 AM

I agree. "Still Alice" was a very good book. 

vegasmomma522
by on Apr. 15, 2009 at 1:25 PM

I am reading Atlas Shrugged right now. Will definately read The Fountainhead too.

07gradmom
by on Jun. 13, 2009 at 8:40 PM

Quoting mupt02:

She's Come Undone
Wally Lamb
In this engaging first novel, narrator Dolores Price recounts her life story from age four to age 40; her relentless parade of disasters makes for interesting reading.

White Oleander
Janet Finch
 Astrid Magnussen, the teenage narrator of Janet Fitch's engrossing first novel, White Oleander, has a mother who is as sharp as a new knife. An uncompromising poet, Ingrid despises weakness and self-pity, telling her daughter that they are descendants of Vikings, savages who fought fiercely to survive. And when one of Ingrid's boyfriends abandons her, she illustrates her point, killing the man with the poison of oleander flowers. This leads to a life sentence in prison, leaving Astrid to teach herself the art of survival in a string of Los Angeles foster homes.
WAY BETTER THAN THE MOVIE!!!

***originally posted by hea210***

i have read both and loved them. the movie for "white oleander" wasn't that good at all. I loved "she's come undone", read them.. you can't put them down.

ajswenson
by on Jun. 18, 2009 at 11:23 PM

"A Thousand Splendid Suns" Khaled Hosseini

I almost didn't read it, and then of course I could not put it down.  A tale about 2 different women in Afghanistan during wars of current time. 

This post has been locked, replies are no longer allowed.

Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)