Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Non-Fiction/Advice Recommendations

Posted by on Jun. 21, 2008 at 9:55 AM
  • 40 Replies
  • 1685 Total Views
Here is a place for all of those non-fiction and advice books to be recommended.

Please add a summary of each book, so those that are interested can find out a little more.  Also, please just add new recommendations and not posts that just say "I agree" and "I like that one too".  It will make it a lot easier for everyone to sort through the posts.

Abigail 5/17/06 and Isabelle 10/17/07

"Life's what you make it - so let's make it rock." - Hannah Montana

by on Jun. 21, 2008 at 9:55 AM
Replies (1-10):
j_l_b
by on Jun. 21, 2008 at 5:51 PM

by bylott on Aug. 24, 2007 at 2:25 PM

Title: Simplify Your Life With Kids

Author: Eleain St. James

Genre: Parenting & Families

Brief Summary: Modern families are ripe for simplification. Overbooked activity schedules, two working parents and the "do-it-all" mentality stress families with too many commitments and too little time. St. James, author of Living the Simple Life, Inner Simplicity and Simplify Your Life, turns her attention to ideas for families in this recorded program. With clear, direct discussion of scenarios that complicate family life, St. James offers ideas to cut through the clutter of busy lives. She starts with the specifics of baby paraphernalia, pets, TV viewing and then deals with broader issues of communication and schedules. With the focus on family relations and interaction, St. James's suggestions provide a sensible parenting guide. Her clarity and simple expression make this an accessible program from which listeners can take away lots of "good ideas." Many of her examples bring smiles of recognition, and her description of keeping the family car "battle-ready" is a treat.

This book should be given to parents at the hospital. It is easy to read and has excellent advice. If everybody that had kids read this - there would be no need for Suppernanny or Nanny 911!

ninipanini
by on Jun. 21, 2008 at 11:01 PM
I read Freakanomics awhile back and really liked it.

I'll add to that Malcom Gladwell's  Blink and  The Tipping Point. 

ninipanini
j_l_b
by on Jun. 22, 2008 at 1:51 PM
by momluvs2kids on Aug. 25, 2007 at 5:45 PM

Title: The Father of Hollywood

Author: Gaelyn Whitley Keith

Genre: Historical Non-Fiction

Brief Summary:  This is the unforgetable true story of Hobart Johnstone and Gigi Whitley the primary developer of Hollywood CA.  In The Father of Hollywood, author Gaelyn Whitley Keith introduces readers to her great-grandfather, HJ Whitley who, through insight, genius and determination took a plain parcel of land and designed what would become the world's most recognizable address: Hollywood.
j_l_b
by on Jun. 22, 2008 at 1:58 PM

by loveTHM on Aug. 27, 2007 at 9:01 AM

Title: I Was  a Really Good Mom before I Had Kids

Author: Trisha Ashworth & Amy Noble

Genre: Non-Fiction/Parenting

Brief Summary:Fresh from the front lines of modern motherhood comes a book that uncover the guilty secrets of moms today...in their own word.
.....diagnoses the craziness and offers real solutions, sot that mothers can step out fo the madness and learn to love motherhood as much as they love their kids. (dust cover)

I love this book. It talks about the good and ugly of being a mother today, whether you stay at home or work outside the home. It makes you feel better about not always being supermom and gives good advice on handling all kinds of situations with your kids, family and other moms. The book mostly made me feel OK with doing things my way and not having to compare myself to other moms all the time. A great read for any frazzled mom out there.
CymraegDdewines
by on Jun. 22, 2008 at 1:59 PM
The Well-Educated Mind by Susan Wise Bauer How to Read and Why by Harold Bloom The Day I Became an Autodidact by Kendall Hailey The Artist's Way by Julia Cameron How to Think by Leonardo Da Vinci by Michael J. Gelb The Invitation by Oriah Mountain Dreamer
j_l_b
by on Jun. 22, 2008 at 2:38 PM

by MommaSkip on Sep. 11, 2007 at 1:18 PM

Title: A Bright Red Scream

Author: Marilee Strong

Genre: Psychology

Description: Its a book on research done by a woman who interviews people about their life during self mutilation and cutting.

*I read this book for my senior year AP Psychology project in high school. This book is definitely not for the squmish or weak stomach. I would definitely tell anyone who can bare it to read this book. It opens your eyes to a whole other world of people and their issues. I enjoyed this book so much I bought it.

hk2kids
by on Jun. 23, 2008 at 11:12 AM
Title: Welcome to the Wisdom of the World: and Its Meaning for You

Author: Joan Chittister

Genre: Life Advice/Spirituality (Many religions addressed, not just Christianity)

Summary: (From Amazon.com) -
From Booklist
Although each person is unique and lives in a different time and culture from those of his or her predecessors and successors, Chittister insists that all humans have something in common. Drawing on the stories and heritages of Hinduism, Buddhism, Judaism, Christianity, and Islam, she explores this commonality with great insight and compassion. She discusses specific issues through the prism of particular religious traditions. She looks at aging and letting go of the past with Hindu wisdom; at doing the right thing and the meaning of success with Buddhist enlightenment; at idealism and feeling stuck with Jewish communitarianism; at getting away from it all and the purpose of life with Christian love; and at the existence of God and happiness with Islamic submission. "Life," she says, "is simply the responsibility of each of us to make our own contribution to the on-going co-creation of the world." Exemplary inspiration from one of the foremost contemporary writers on spirituality. Sawyers, June

--She said that time is unfair to woman her age - Now that wisdom has come, everything else fades--Collective Soul

j_l_b
by on Jun. 24, 2008 at 12:07 PM

by zena800 on Sep. 14, 2007 at 11:46 AM

Title:  Lies My Teacher Told Me

Author: James W. Loewen

Genre: History

Summary:  History??!! I know... I thought it was going to be boring too, to be honest I can't say why I picked this book up, but now that I have, I can't put it down. It talks about the "real" history that you didn't learn in history class. It's an interesting read for anyone, especially parents who really care about truth in our education system!
j_l_b
by on Jun. 24, 2008 at 4:54 PM

by WildKat on Dec. 20, 2007 at 10:29 AM

Title:  The Spirit Catches You And You Fall Down

Author:  Anne Fadiman

Genre:  non-fiction

Brief Summary:  This meticulously researched and diplomatically written book tells the true story of a Hmong girl plagued by seizures and the care she recieves by her family and her Merced, California medical team.  It specifically traces the culture clash between Hmong people and American doctors and how this affects the life of this sweet girl.

This post has been locked, replies are no longer allowed.

Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)