Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Non-Fiction/Advice Recommendations

Here is a place for all of those non-fiction and advice books to be recommended.

Please add a summary of each book, so those that are interested can find out a little more.  Also, please just add new recommendations and not posts that just say "I agree" and "I like that one too".  It will make it a lot easier for everyone to sort through the posts.

Abigail 5/17/06 and Isabelle 10/17/07

"Life's what you make it - so let's make it rock." - Hannah Montana

by on Jun. 21, 2008 at 9:55 AM
Replies (31-40):
DM-dreamgirl
by on Dec. 2, 2009 at 10:41 PM

Quoting mupt02:

by mamakrystle919 on May. 12, 2008 at 10:49 AM

Well I normally read non-fiction so here is a few WONDERFUL books I have read lately

Jenny McCarthy     Belly Laughs

James Frey    My Friend Leonard

Augusten Burroughs     Dry

i read the 1st 2 .....good 1's

SMH2010
by on Jun. 11, 2010 at 8:31 PM

She's Such a Geek: Women Write About Science, Technology, and Other Nerdy Stuff 
by Annalee Newitz 

Summary from goodreads: She’s Such a Geek is a groundbreaking anthology that celebrates women who have flourished in the male-dominated realms of technical and cultural arcana. Editors Annalee Newitz and Charlie Anders bring together a diverse range of critical and personal essays about the meaning of female nerdhood by women who are in love with genomics, obsessed with blogging, learned about sex from Dungeons and Dragons, and aren't afraid to match wits with men or computers. More than anything, She's Such a Geek is a celebration and call to arms: it's a hopeful book which looks forward to a day when women will invent molecular motors, design the next ultra-tiny supercomputer, and run the government.

Cindy18
by on Nov. 27, 2010 at 10:35 AM

I just read Zoo Story-Life in the Garden of Captives by Thomas French. It was awesome. Reads like a fiction.

Cindy

Mweddle
by on Nov. 27, 2010 at 12:13 PM

1. Total Money Makeover- Dave Ramsey.  It is a no nonsense way to become wealthy.  I am a living testimony. We've paid off 30,000 dollars of our debt (car and medical and stupid debt)! Changed my life

2. The Hurried Child- David Elkind.  WONDERFUL book about how we hurry our children through their childhood.  Its a little dated but once you get past that it is really great and so true! 

3. The Creator and the Cosmos- Hugh Ross. A look into how science and Christianity can go hand in hand.  It's interesting.

4. The MIllionaire Next Door-Thomas Stanley. Great book about how Millionaires spend their money and surprisingly its not on keeping up with the joneses. Very interesting book.  

CylonianSaint
by on Dec. 5, 2010 at 4:38 PM

What to Expect when you're expecting by Heidi Murkoff 

brilliant for anyone no matter what stage of pregnancy or even if you're just ttc

Change your life in 7 days by Paul McKenna

boost confidence and a brighter outlook on life :)

SanDiegoMaxMom
by on Dec. 5, 2010 at 4:47 PM

This book was written by my cousin, Neil White.   In the Sanctuary of Outcasts

Lynette
by on Dec. 5, 2010 at 5:03 PM

Living Simply with Children  by Marie Sherlock

Last Child in the Woods by Richard Louv

The Boys and Girls Learn Differently Action Guide for Teachers  by Michael Gurian and Arlette C. Ballew

Raising Your Spirited Child by Mary Sheedy Kurcinka

ziff130
by on Feb. 6, 2011 at 7:14 PM

Cinderella Ate My Daughter by Peggy Orenstein

genre: non-fiction/women's issues/culture

Synopsis (from Barnes and Noble's website):

The acclaimed author of the groundbreaking bestseller Schoolgirls reveals the dark side of pink and pretty: the rise of the girlie-girl, she warns, is not that innocent.

Pink and pretty or predatory and hardened, sexualized girlhood influences our daughters from infancy onward, telling them that how a girl looks matters more than who she is. Somewhere between the exhilarating rise of Girl Power in the 1990s and today, the pursuit of physical perfection has been recast as a source—the source—of female empowerment. And commercialization has spread the message faster and farther, reaching girls at ever-younger ages.

But, realistically, how many times can you say no when your daughter begs for a pint-size wedding gown or the latest Hannah Montana CD? And how dangerous is pink and pretty anyway—especially given girls' successes in the classroom and on the playing field? Being a princess is just make-believe, after all; eventually they grow out of it. Or do they? Does playing Cinderella shield girls from early sexualization—or prime them for it? Could today's little princess become tomorrow's sexting teen? And what if she does? Would that make her in charge of her sexuality—or an unwitting captive to it?

Those questions hit home with Peggy Orenstein, so she went sleuthing. She visited Disneyland and the international toy fair, trolled American Girl Place and Pottery Barn Kids, and met beauty pageant parents with preschoolers tricked out like Vegas showgirls. She dissected the science, created an online avatar, and parsed the original fairy tales. The stakes turn out to be higher than she—or we—ever imagined: nothing less than the health, development, and futures of our girls. From premature sexualization to the risk of depression to rising rates of narcissism, the potential negative impact of this new girlie-girl culture is undeniable—yet armed with awareness and recognition, parents can effectively counterbalance its influence in their daughters' lives.

Cinderella Ate My Daughter is a must-read for anyone who cares about girls, and for parents helping their daughters navigate the rocky road to adulthood.

ria7
by on Mar. 22, 2011 at 12:15 PM

Anyone read the books by Judge Judy? I read them years ago and still remember some things in them that I love.

beepbop1
by on Mar. 22, 2011 at 9:53 PM

Title:  What you can do right now to help your child with Autism

Author: Johathan Levy

Genre: non-fiction/self-help

Summary:  What You Can Do Right Now to Help Your Child with Autism gives you the best techniques you can do - right now - to work with your child and draw him or her back into our interactive world. The ten techniques in the book are not just explained in detail, they are also illustrated by true stories of Mr. Levy's work with children with autism (and their parents).

I have worked with children with autism for more than 10 years and I found this book well written, easy and quick to read, rationals are explained well behind techniques and I have even tried techniquest in this book I hadn't before with SUCCESS!  So if you have a child with Autism or just want to know about how to work to persons with autism...this book is for you!

This post has been locked, replies are no longer allowed.

Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN