Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

YA (Young Adult) Recommendations

Posted by on Jun. 21, 2008 at 5:16 PM
  • 90 Replies
  • 4033 Total Views
Here is the spot for all those YA (Young Adult) books that you think everyone should read.

JAMIE :)

CURRENTLY READING:  Maximum Ride:  The Final Warning by James Patterson

JUST READ:  MOM'S THE WORD by E.M. Stoddard

TITLE CHALLENGE:  Z ~ 1 To Go

AUTHOR CHALLENGE:  F I J L O Q R T U X Y Z ~ 12 To Go

2008 TOTAL READ: 43

by on Jun. 21, 2008 at 5:16 PM
Replies (1-10):
j_l_b
by on Jun. 21, 2008 at 5:17 PM
Title:  Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants

Author:  Ann Brashares

Genre:  young adult (at least that is what I would consider it)

Summary:  A group of friends have to spend their first summer apart.  They are bound by a magical pair of pants.  Through their various adventures throughout the summer, they each grow and learn more about the person that they are.  A great coming of age story.

** Originally Recommended By Member 
mupt02 **
mom2iain
by on Jun. 21, 2008 at 8:03 PM
Title: The Sisters Grimm Books 1-6

Author: Michael Buckley

Summary of Book 1: Fairy Tale Detectives: "After their parents disappear, sisters Daphne and Sabrina Grimm are placed with a grandmother they have never heard about. Sabrina, the eldest, is highly suspicious; why didn't their parents mention Granny Relda? She grows more concerned once they arrive at Relda's home in the New England town of Ferryport Landing, where Relda serves emerald-green meatballs in rooms lined with books about magic. Then Relda reveals the truth: the Grimms are descended from the famous storytelling brothers, and Ferryport Landing is a magical town, populated with "Everafters," characters straight from fairy tales. After Relda goes missing, it's up to the girls, and their new magical friends, to rescue her and stop a corrupt politician--a well-cast Prince Charming. Buckley's debut novel gets bogged down in labored world building and sometimes stilted prose, but the wild parade of magical folk in the gleefully fractured fairy tales (Snow White teaches school; the Three Little Pigs are policemen) may draw some fans." ~Gillian Engberg

Title: The Book of Story Beginnings

Author: Kristin Kladstrup

Summary: "When 12-year-old Lucy and her parents move to the farmhouse where her father's family has lived for generations, she hopes to solve the mystery of her great-uncle Oscar's disappearance in 1914, when he was 14. Soon she discovers Oscar's notebook, the mysterious "Book of Story Beginnings," and even Oscar himself, who has returned from another world and, still a teenager, finds his parents gone and his community incomprehensibly different from when he left. Realizing that by beginning a new story in the enchanted book she has placed her father in deadly peril, Lucy enlists Oscar's help to take her into that otherworld where their stories have come to life not in dreams but as cold, hard reality. Accented by a fine description of an ocean magically appearing in the Iowa countryside, Kladstrup's first novel offers mystery, adventure, and fantasy, as well as reflections on family dynamics, time travel, and the structure of stories. If that sounds like a plateful, it is, but many readers will find something here to their liking." ~Carolyn Phelan

Title: The Golden Book of Faerie

Author: O.R. Melling

Summary: A complete collection of The Chronicles of Faerie, including a fully revised and updated version of The Hunter's Moon, winner of the Ruth Schwartz Award.

Within and beyond our world—the Earthworld—is the land of Faerie. Ruled by magic, tradition, and royalty, Faerie is a place of feasting and music, but also of deadly battles and old grudges. Faerie can catch humans up in its spell or use them to fight ancient enemies. Here, strangers from both Ireland and Canada are needed to break a curse, to find a missing king or to be the next sacrifice.

Bridging both worlds with lore and lyricism, these four epic tales—The Hunter's Moon, The Summer King, The Light-Bearer's Daughter, and The Book of Dreams—bring to life the home of dark magic and the magic of home.

I have many more recommendations in this genre that I'll post when I have a second......
Bentyswife
by on Jun. 21, 2008 at 8:07 PM
SE Hinton - Outsiders
RL Stine
Chritstopher Pike
Among the Hidden series
j_l_b
by on Jun. 22, 2008 at 2:47 PM
by mamarocks555 on Sep. 11, 2007 at 9:23 PM 

N
o one has mentioned but I loved all of the Harry Potter series.  The last was the best.   Not only for kids, especially if you love sci fi/fantasy.

Title:  Harry Potter series

Author:  J.K. Rowling

Genre:  YA and sometimes Sci/Fi

Summary:  Follows the life of an orphan as he goes off to Hogwart's School of Witchcraft and Wizardry
j_l_b
by on Jun. 22, 2008 at 2:49 PM
1 mom liked this
Title:  The Book Thief

Author:  Markus Zusak

Genre:  YA/Historical Fiction

Summary:  It is 1939. Nazi Germany. The country is holding its breath. Death has never been busier, and will become busier still.

By her brother's graveside, Liesel Meminger's life is changed when she picks up a single object, partially hidden in the snow. It is The Grave Digger's Handbook, left there by accident, and it is her first act of book thievery. So begins a love affair with books and words, as Liesel, with the help of her accordion-playing foster father, learns to read. Soon she is stealing books from Nazi book-burnings, the mayor's wife's library, wherever there are books to be found.

But these are dangerous times. When Liesel's foster family hides a Jew in their basement, Liesel's world is both opened up and closed down.

In superbly crafted writing that burns with intensity, award-winning author Markus Zusak has given us one of the most enduring stories of our time.
j_l_b
by on Jun. 22, 2008 at 2:54 PM
1 mom liked this

by mamarocks555 on Sep. 11, 2007 at 9:23 PM

Madeleine L'engle just passed away.  I highly recommend

Title:  A Wrinkle in Time

Author:  Madeleine L'engle

Genre:  YA

Summary:  It was a dark and stormy night; Meg Murry, her small brother Charles Wallace, and her mother had come down to the kitchen for a midnight snack when they were upset by the arrival of a most disturbing stranger.

"Wild nights are my glory," the unearthly stranger told them. "I just got caught in a downdraft and blown off course. Let me sit down for a moment, and then I'll be on my way. Speaking of ways, by the way, there is such a thing as a tesseract."

A tesseract (in case the reader doesn't know) is a wrinkle in time. To tell more would rob the reader of the enjoyment of Miss L'Engle's unusual book. A Wrinkle in Time, winner of the Newbery Medal in 1963, is the story of the adventures in space and time of Meg, Charles Wallace, and Calvin O'Keefe (athlete, student, and one of the most popular boys in high school). They are in search of Meg's father, a scientist who disappeared while engaged in secret work for the government on the tesseract problem

It's so wonderful. I read when I was  a teen and really got lost in books like I havn't in a long time.  This series made me love books!

Thia29
by on Jun. 22, 2008 at 4:53 PM
This might be my favorite genre! 
Top of my list is almost anything by Cynthia Voigt.  I don't care for her"Bad Girls" series, but LOVE everything else she has penned.

~~Thia~~
Wife and SAHM
Dd (3), Ds (1), #3 Summer 2008

caro274
by on Jun. 23, 2008 at 7:58 PM

The Bronze Bow  by Elizabeth George Speare.

AisForAutism
by on Jun. 23, 2008 at 8:08 PM
My daughter is reading this series...

I'd Tell You I Love You, But Then I'd Have to Kill Youby Ally Carter
Cross My Heart and Hope to Spy (Gallagher Girls)
Samanthasmom210
by on Jun. 24, 2008 at 12:31 AM
Wonderful Historical Fiction for YA

From Publishers Weekly
The opening scene of Anderson's ambitious novel about the yellow fever epidemic that ravaged Philadelphia in the late 18th century shows a hint of the gallows humor and insight of her previous novel, Speak. Sixteen-year-old Matilda "Mattie" Cook awakens in the sweltering summer heat on August 16th, 1793, to her mother's command to rouse and with a mosquito buzzing in her ear. She shoos her cat from her mother's favorite quilt and thinks to herself, "I had just saved her precious quilt from disaster, but would she appreciate it? Of course not." Mattie's wit again shines through several chapters later during a visit to her wealthy neighbors' house, the Ogilvies. Having refused to let their serving girl, Eliza, coif her for the occasion, Mattie regrets it as soon as she lays eyes on the Ogilvie sisters, who wear matching bombazine gowns, curly hair piled high on their heads ("I should have let Eliza curl my hair. Dash it all"). But thereafter, Mattie's character development, as well as those of her grandfather and widowed mother, takes a back seat to the historical details of Philadelphia and environs. Extremely well researched, Anderson's novel paints a vivid picture of the seedy waterfront, the devastation the disease wreaks on a once thriving city, and the bitterness of neighbor toward neighbor as those suspected of infection are physically cast aside. However, these larger scale views take precedence over the kind of intimate scenes that Anderson crafted so masterfully in Speak. Scenes of historical significance, such as George Washington returning to Philadelphia, then the nation's capital, to signify the end of the epidemic are delivered with more impact than scenes of great personal significance to Mattie.

Another AWESOME book for YA

From Publishers Weekly
In a stunning first novel, Anderson uses keen observations and vivid imagery to pull readers into the head of an isolated teenager. Divided into the four marking periods of an academic year, the novel, narrated by Melinda Sordino, begins on her first day as a high school freshman. No one will sit with Melinda on the bus. At school, students call her names and harass her; her best friends from junior high scatter to different cliques and abandon her. Yet Anderson infuses the narrative with a wit that sustains the heroine through her pain and holds readers' empathy. A girl at a school pep rally offers an explanation of the heroine's pariah status when she confronts Melinda about calling the police at a summer party, resulting in several arrests. But readers do not learn why Melinda made the call until much later: a popular senior raped her that night and, because of her trauma, she barely speaks at all. Only through her work in art class, and with the support of a compassionate teacher there, does she begin to reach out to others and eventually find her voice. Through the first-person narration, the author makes Melinda's pain palpable: "I stand in the center aisle of the auditorium, a wounded zebra in a National Geographic special." Though the symbolism is sometimes heavy-handed, it is effective. The ending, in which her attacker comes after her once more, is the only part of the plot that feels forced. But the book's overall gritty realism and Melinda's hard-won metamorphosis will leave readers touched and inspired.

Highly Recommend!!!!

From Publishers Weekly
Farmer's (A Girl Named Disaster; The Ear, the Eye and the Arm) novel may be futuristic, but it hits close to home, raising questions of what it means to be human, what is the value of life, and what are the responsibilities of a society. Readers will be hooked from the first page, in which a scientist brings to life one of 36 tiny cells, frozen more than 100 years ago. The result is the protagonist at the novel's center, Matt a clone of El Patron, a powerful drug lord, born Matteo Alacr n to a poor family in a small village in Mexico. El Patro n is ruler of Opium, a country that lies between the United States and Aztl n, formerly Mexico; its vast poppy fields are tended by eejits, human beings who attempted to flee Aztl n, programmed by a computer chip implanted in their brains. With smooth pacing that steadily gathers momentum, Farmer traces Matt's growing awareness of what being a clone of one of the most powerful and feared men on earth entails. Through the kindness of the only two adults who treat Matt like a human Celia, the cook and Matt's guardian in early childhood, and Tam Lin, El Patron's bodyguard Matt experiences firsthand the evils at work in Opium, and the corruptive power of greed ("When he was young, he made a choice, like a tree does when it decides to grow one way or the other... most of his branches are twisted," Tam Lin tells Matt). The author strikes a masterful balance between Matt's idealism and his intelligence. The novel's close may be rushed, and Tam Lin's fate may be confusing to readers, but Farmer grippingly demonstrates that there are no easy answers. The questions she raises will haunt readers long after the final page.

Mom to a wonderful little girl, Wife to a supportive and loving husband,

Deanna

This post has been locked, replies are no longer allowed.

Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)