Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Humor/Comedy Recommendations

Posted by on Jun. 21, 2008 at 5:53 PM
  • 36 Replies
  • 2255 Total Views
This is the place to post all those books that just were LAUGH OUT LOUD funny that you think everyone should read at least once ...

JAMIE :)

CURRENTLY READING:  Maximum Ride:  The Final Warning by James Patterson

JUST READ:  MOM'S THE WORD by E.M. Stoddard

TITLE CHALLENGE:  Z ~ 1 To Go

AUTHOR CHALLENGE:  F I J L O Q R T U X Y Z ~ 12 To Go

2008 TOTAL READ: 43

by on Jun. 21, 2008 at 5:53 PM
Replies (1-10):
j_l_b
by on Jun. 21, 2008 at 5:54 PM

by the_littleminx on Aug. 24, 2007 at 2:32 PM

TITLE: Me Talk Pretty One Day & Naked

AUTHOR: David Sedaris

GENRE: Essays/Humor

SYNOPSIS: These are both compilations of funny essays Sedaris has written about his life. Absolutely hilarious.

eds6619
by on Jun. 21, 2008 at 9:04 PM
The Stephanie Plum Series by Janet Evanovich

The Bubbles Series by Sarah Strohmeyer
SueMac
by on Jun. 21, 2008 at 10:51 PM
My Horizontal Life and Are You There, God? It's Me, Chelsea both by Chelsea Handler.

They can get kinda raunchy but they are hilarious!

SanDiegoMaxMom
by on Jun. 22, 2008 at 12:13 AM
Anything by Laurie Nataro. 

Her short story about playing the SIMS video game had me laughing so hard I peed a little!
maggie101
by on Jun. 22, 2008 at 8:03 AM
Good in Bed by Jennifer Weiner was hilarious. I think a lot of woman could relate t the charahter which makes it funny
ninipanini
by on Jun. 22, 2008 at 8:06 AM

Me Talk Pretty One Day is hilarious, as any David Sedaris is.
I'll add to that Amy Sedaris'  I Like You Hospitality Under the Influence.  It's party hints and part silly, the juxtaposition of the two is way funny.

Also, I remember really liking Paul Reiser's Couplehood.   Babyhood --not so much.  

Jenny McCarthy has a book called Belly Laughs that I read and about wet my pants it was so funny.  I wasn't even pg at the time, but I remembered and agreed with so much of what she talked about in that book.

Any Erma Bombeck will make you laugh, too.  Especially Life is Always Greener on the Other Side of the Septic Tank.
ninipanini

Pnukey
by on Jun. 23, 2008 at 3:38 PM

I admit to liking Jeff Foxworthy's redneck humor books. They crack me up.
The Darwin Awards also make me laugh so hard I cry.

j_l_b
by on Jun. 25, 2008 at 1:57 PM
by jdrsmom4eva on Oct. 20, 2007 at 10:01 PM

TITLE:  The Perils Of Sisterhood

AUTHOR:  Amy Alden

GENRE:  Comedy Fiction

SUMMARY:  Twin sisters London and Madrid La Mira are socialites who are famous simply for being wealthy, young, and beautiful. London parties in San Francisco at her club; she leaves all the work to her manager, Lucinda, while she beds the pretty women who frequent the club. In New York, Madrid goes through men as fast as her sister goes through women, and her life is equally empty. But when the girls' wealthy grandmother tells them that they won't be getting their annual $850,000 checks until they make something of their lives, London and Madrid are faced with the prospect of gainful employment. Hoping to impress their grandmother, they try charitable work and fail miserably. But when Madrid tries her hand at matchmaking and London explores cooking, the sisters find something they'd been missing: fulfillment.

TITLE:  Momzillas

AUTHOR:  Jill Kargman

GENRE:  Comedy Fiction

SUMMARY:  
 The mothers on Manhattan’s chic Upper East Side are highly educated, extremely wealthy, and very competitive. They throw themselves and all of their energy and resources into full-time child-rearing, turning their kids into the unwitting pawns in a game where success is measured in precocious achievements, jam-packed schedules, and elite private school pedigrees.

Hannah Foster has recently moved to the neighborhood with her New York City–bred investment banker husband and their two-year-old daughter, Lucy. She’s immediately inundated by an outpouring of advice from her not-so-well-intentioned new friends and her overbearing, socially conscious mother-in-law, who coach her on matters ranging from where to buy the must-have $300 baby dress to how to get into the only pre-pre-preschool that counts. Despite her better instincts and common sense, Hannah soon finds herself caught up in the competitive whirl of high-stakes mothering.

Jill Kargman, who grew up on the Upper East Side and now lives there with her husband and daughter, is the ideal chronicler of the lives of New York’s ultra-rich and ultra-ambitious. She captures the mores, the conversations, and the back-stabbing with supreme ease, and creates in Hannah a wonderfully sympathetic heroine. A wickedly funny and spot-on portrait of some decidedly over-the-top moms, Momzillas is the perfect follow-up to The Right Address.
Ladiesusan1
by on Jul. 20, 2008 at 12:43 PM

Quoting eds6619:

The Stephanie Plum Series by Janet Evanovich

The Bubbles Series by Sarah Strohmeyer
I agree that these are a good laugh. I am reading Fearless Fourteen right now. Love these series.

boylivea.gifhpsiriuslovea1.gif

hermoinea.gifharrya1.gifrona.gif

Book_mom
by on Jul. 20, 2008 at 4:34 PM
"A Walk in the Woods" by Bill Bryson was gut laugh funny to me.

But maybe just because I have spent a lot of time in the woods

This post has been locked, replies are no longer allowed.

Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)