Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

May 7.

Posted by on May. 7, 2007 at 2:46 AM
  • 2 Replies
  • 420 Total Views
Thirst Quencher.

Preview:
A human being can go without food for about thirty to forty days, but can only go for about three days without water.  Extreme thirst will put you on a single-minded hunt for water.  That makes thirst a good word for describing deep cravings doesn't it?
     In Psalm 42 we see a person thirsting for God, craving his presence, and still feeling alone or even abandoned by him.  This person has longed for God's presence and found no ready source of relief.  As you read this Psalm, find, with the author, the answer to your own thirst.
     Also, find hope in times of discouragement (Psalm 43); help when feeling weary and defeated (Psalm 44); and rejoicing in God's gift of marriage (Psalm 45).

Personal Application:
Do you ever feel alone in your faith?  There come times in life when we thirst for God, weep for his help, or even endure ridicule for our faith while waiting for him to answer our prayers (Psalm 42:1-3).  We want desperately to feel God's presence or to have some other tangible sign of his help and support.  TImes like these can lead to depression and discouragement for any Christian.
     The writer of Psalm 42 discovered a remedy for these spiritually dry times.  He remembered God's great blessings on his life.  He realized that although God seemed silent, he was there and was worthy to be praised (42:4-5).  He soaked in God's beautiful creation (42:6).  He realized that he was never adrift from God's love (42:7-8).  He faithfully expected God to act (42:11).

Bible Reading:
     As the deer pants for streams of water,
          so I long for you, O God.
     I thirst for God, the living God.
          When can I come and stand before him?
     Day and night, I have only tears for food,
          while my enemies continually taunt me, saying,
          "Where is this God of yours?"

My heart is breaking
          as I remember now how it used to be:
     I walked among the crowds of worshipers,
          leading a great procession to the house of God,
     singing for joy and giving thanks --
          it was the sound of a great celebration!

Why am I discouraged?
          Why so sad?
     I will put my hope in God!
          I will praise him again --
          my Savior and my God!

Now I am deeply discouraged,
          but I will remember your kindness --
     from the Mount Hermon, the source of the Jordan,
          from the land of Mount Mizar.
     I hear the tumult of the raging seas
          as your waves and surging tides sweep over me.

Through each day the Lord pours his unfailing love
          upon me,
          and through each night I sing his songs,
          praying to God who gives me life.

Psalm 42:1-8

by on May. 7, 2007 at 2:46 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
busymom213
by on May. 7, 2007 at 11:01 AM
This is AMAZING, and exactly what I needed.  PLEASE keep posting these.  I am reading, and I am growing as I read.  You are being used by God in a GREAT way, so thank you for your dilligence in serving Him.  God bless you, and I hope you have a wonderful day! 
jess7901
by Group Owner on May. 8, 2007 at 4:10 AM

Thank you for replying.  It's good to know that I'm helping someone.  I will continue posting.

God Bless,

Jess

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)