Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

'TINA TURNER SALTED UP MY GAME...'

Posted by on Jun. 20, 2007 at 12:03 PM
  • 6 Replies
  • 219 Total Views

Poll

Question: IKE TURNER....

Options:

is a talented pioneer in his own right and deserves credit for this accomplishment in spite of his personal shortcomings.

...was unfairly portrayed and is misunderstood, the moviemakers did him wrong...

is a woman beater, a self-centered jack@$$ and a drug abuser; Tina lived that life and was right to portray it as she lived it!!!

needs to shut up, get sober and keep it moving!!!

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 10

View Results

Tina Turner Biopic Ruined Ike Turner's Career

Tina TurnerSinger Ike Turner's career was ruined by the 1993 biopic of ex-wife Tina Turner, which depicted his abusive relationship with her. The songwriter/producer maintains he was bullied into signing a contract for What's Love Got To Do With It, leaving him with no input over how he was portrayed in the Academy award-nominated film - and he's suffered ever since.

He says, "You know, during the time I was doing drugs, my attorney coerced me into signing a contract that said I wouldn't sue them if they got someone else to play me in a film. I didn't know I was signing away my rights and that they could portray me any way they wanted to. You have to have a villain and you have to have a hero, so I was the villain."

Ike Turner was played by Laurence Fishburne in the movie, while Angela Bassett played Tina. It was adapted from the book I, Tina, written by Tina Turner and Kurt Loder, which accused Ike of years of severe spousal abuse and rampant drug addiction. The couple finalized their divorce in 1978 after 18 years of marriage.

by on Jun. 20, 2007 at 12:03 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
faerie75
by Member on Jun. 20, 2007 at 12:17 PM
ike had some talent but he rode tina's coat tails too. and any abusive, domineering man is my pet peeve! i hate that!
soulsister72
by Group Owner on Jun. 20, 2007 at 12:19 PM

Quoting faerie75:

ike had some talent but he rode tina's coat tails too. and any abusive, domineering man is my pet peeve! i hate that!

Did you read 'I, Tina'??? WOOOOOO!!! That man was ALL KINDS OF EVIL, GOOD FOR HER!!! TINA IS THE $#!* AND IKE NEEDS TO SHT UP!!!
zara02
by Member on Jun. 22, 2007 at 5:23 PM
IKE IT'S OVER KNOW WHEN TO WALK AWAY.
soulsister72
by Group Owner on Jun. 24, 2007 at 10:48 PM

Quoting zara02:

IKE IT'S OVER KNOW WHEN TO WALK AWAY.

That's what sober and sae people do, so maybe he isn't there yet....
Abesgirl27
by New Member on Jul. 18, 2007 at 6:08 PM
Tina Turner is a very courageous woman, and she was never given enough credit when her career was booming. She went through hell, and for her to hang in there as long as she did was a miracle. It was even a miracle that she didn't end up dying from her injuries. She had a lot riding on that marriage, and I could understand why she held on as long as she did. You guys won't believe this, but I just found out that SOMEHOW, I am kin to Tina Turner. A much older family member had to explain it to me, but I couldn't believe it when it was all said. I always wondered why I was the only one in my family to have a fascination for all kinds of music. Like her, she enjoyed music by Bowie and Jagger, and people like that. I do too, but no one else in my family likes it. My mom likes it too, I think.

I admire her a great deal.
soulsister72
by Group Owner on Jul. 18, 2007 at 6:42 PM
LUCKY!!! Ever connected with her? I looooooooooooove me some Tina, saw her perform live once from 11th row. Ike is an @$$ and she is proof positive that a woman who wants to badly enough can overcome anything!!!
Quoting Abesgirl27:

Tina Turner is a very courageous woman, and she was never given enough credit when her career was booming. She went through hell, and for her to hang in there as long as she did was a miracle. It was even a miracle that she didn't end up dying from her injuries. She had a lot riding on that marriage, and I could understand why she held on as long as she did. You guys won't believe this, but I just found out that SOMEHOW, I am kin to Tina Turner. A much older family member had to explain it to me, but I couldn't believe it when it was all said. I always wondered why I was the only one in my family to have a fascination for all kinds of music. Like her, she enjoyed music by Bowie and Jagger, and people like that. I do too, but no one else in my family likes it. My mom likes it too, I think.

I admire her a great deal.

"Early in life, I had learned that if you want something, you had better make some noise."

MALCOLM X   http://www.cafemom.com/group/naturalandnappyandlovingit &

http://www.cafemom.com/group/neosoulRandBhiphoplovers 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)