Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Has anyone else had problems like this?

Posted by on Mar. 5, 2008 at 1:07 PM
  • 8 Replies
  • 225 Total Views

I took Candice in to the pedi. on Feb. 19th for an ear infection.  She was put on amoxicillian.  Well, had to take her back in last Friday because the infection had not cleared and she is much worse now!  She is on a stronger antibiotic now...cefdinir.  She will be going back in 2 weeks to get checked out for it.  Just hope that she actually gets better this time.  So far she is still picking at the ear and still cranky but no fever anymore.  So maybe it's starting to work on the infection.  This is the first time that she has ever had one this bad before.  She doesn't usually get too sick but now she has been sick for about 2 weeks now!  Has anyone else had problems like this with their masto kids?

by on Mar. 5, 2008 at 1:07 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
bellasmom870
by on Mar. 6, 2008 at 7:58 AM

I've noticed that if Bella gets sick she stays sick longer than most people. My niece (non masto) had problems with her ears. She had an ear infection for months! It would almost clear up and then it would come back. They tried different meds. and then put tubes in her ears last month. She still has a little fluid in her ears but it's almost gone. Hope Candice is feeling better soon.

del_bug
by on Mar. 6, 2008 at 12:46 PM

Quoting bellasmom870:

I've noticed that if Bella gets sick she stays sick longer than most people. My niece (non masto) had problems with her ears. She had an ear infection for months! It would almost clear up and then it would come back. They tried different meds. and then put tubes in her ears last month. She still has a little fluid in her ears but it's almost gone. Hope Candice is feeling better soon.

Fortunately she hasn't been sick too often but this time really got her!  I hope that they don't need to put tubes because that is a surgery and would create more complications I would think.  We will be going back to the doc next week to see if it cleared up, sure hope so!
bellasmom870
by on Mar. 6, 2008 at 2:44 PM
I hope the doc appt. goes well next week. Let me know how it turns out.
gwynneandrea7
by on Mar. 14, 2008 at 2:38 PM
rylin is only six months right now, but thankfully we haven't gotten sick yet : ) Hope that lasts!!!
kayngabsmom
by on Mar. 27, 2008 at 9:38 PM
gabby gets lots of ear infections and i too have notice a regular antibiotic never usually works she always needs a stronger one. she gets sick a lot though and it always takes forever to go away and that is usually our biggest fare up time.

Nicole

If its free it's for me check out how I get free money: http://squishycash.com/members/register.php?ref=niki81

alaskamoma
by on May. 8, 2008 at 2:36 AM
hi there all,
Our Tara was ill with ear issues off and on throughout her first six to eight months and was diagnosed with Masto at between 10 and 11 months old.  We went through ear bothers, skin rashes, diaper rashes, diareah, nightly sweats and nightmares, itchy rashes that caused more raised spots.  She went through food allergies especially to whatever was in microwave popcorn, bannanas, chocolate and anything with any sort of colored dyes in it.  When she was diagnosed, I was told there was no cure and no known specific cause for the Masto.  At that moment I realized I was alone in helping her because they brushed it off as oh well shell either grow out of it or it'll turn into systemic Masto and later Lukemia.  She broke out with spots within 1 hour after her first vaccinations at 2 months, so I researched which ones she got and of the 10 they gave her that day, 2 were linked to Masto/Uticaria Pigmentosa.  I decided to stop vaccinations at 11 months and start trying to mend what the doctors said was not curable.  We gave her 2 gummi vitamins everyday that contained Vitamin C and echanacia.  She drinks alot of nesquick and milk and loves yogurt.  She is 7 years old now and has very few spots if any, and definately hasn't had any outbreaks of the kinds of stuff she had during the first few years of her life.  She rarely if at all gets sick ever.  I stay away from anything food or medicine wise that could trigger a flareup. My experience with Tara is indiidual I know but I realized everytime she had vaccinations she had flareups and major problems.  OUr goal was to enhance her immune system.
del_bug
by on May. 9, 2008 at 11:04 PM
so I researched which ones she got and of the 10 they gave her that day, 2 were linked to Masto/Uticaria Pigmentosa. 

Which ones are these out of curiosity? 

Candice has had lots of diaper rash problems especially here lately.  We have to use the diaper rash cream that we got from Canada...the only one that will work on her (penaten).  Nothing from here works for her.  Thankgoodness we had some from when we moved back from Canada!  Not sure what we would do without it. 

Candice too drinks a lot of milk.  She wants more milk that anything else!  She doesn't show a lot of food allergy problems but cannot touch tomatoes or they turn her skin red so therefore doesn't eat them either but is strangely ok with ketchup, but we never allow much just incase.  We are careful with anything citrus but she loves bananas and apples but not any kind of fruit juice at all.  Probably a good thing since it is citrus.  She also likes water too so that is good!

We were basically told that she could outgrow it but since she has more mastocytomas than regular tumors (which not too many people seem to have the same kind of tumors that she does) that it's unlikely that she will indeed grow out of it.  They really seem to think it will turn systemic but of course don't know for sure and it's scary!  She does have the digestive problems and stomach cramps so is on gastrocrom and ritadine for that.

Thanks for your comments!!!!
gwynneandrea7
by on May. 10, 2008 at 2:21 PM
Rylin had the same ear infection issue a month or so ago... She had amoxicillin, and it did not work on the infection, which then in turn became both ears that were infected. They gave her azithromycin the second time and that cleared her up. I had a lot of ear issues as a child as well, and still do in fact. I've had tubes put in my ears twice, and had both eardrums rupture twice, for a total of four times. That is not a fun thing to deal with. I never took to amoxicillin either, so I think it just doesn't work on ear infections very well...
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN