Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Anyone use a cool vest?

Posted by on Mar. 31, 2009 at 9:08 AM
  • 1 Replies
  • 223 Total Views

Summer is coming upon us here soon, temps around here (Houston, TX) have been climbing off and on already, so we are going to be getting Candice a cool vest this year for sure!  I do not want her to go through what she did last year with the entire month of June in a masto flare up!  That was scary!!!  So we are now looking at which cool vest would be best for her to use and I wanted to know if any of you have used one for your masto kiddo?  Just want to get one that works well, fits, is comfy as possible, just want her to not be a prisioner in her home this summer!

Thanks!

by on Mar. 31, 2009 at 9:08 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-1):
Giggleupagus
by on Jul. 2, 2009 at 1:40 PM

Yes!!!  =0)  I heard another masto mom talking about a cooling vest and looked into them.  While I thought they were a tad pricey, I thought the concept was interesting enough to try one out.  Instead of ordering one offline, I made one for Isaiah.  While I don't think it's a cure-all, I do think it helps with those hot days where my son can't even take one step outside without flushing.  It has allowed him to be outside for a little while, but you'll still have to make sure the rest of their body isn't getting to warm.  Usually, I pull out the vest if he begins to flush and get a rash because of heat.  The vest, combined with atarax/benadryl, seems to do the trick until I can get him into a cooler environment.  He seems to enjoy wearing the vest, too . . . unless he is wearing a favorite shirt.  =0)  Sheesh!

The one I made uses ice packs instead of water (I felt bad making my son walk around slightly wet).  I found a regular vest pattern at WalMart and purchased some material that I thought Isaiah would like - after all, he's wearing the vest.  For the outside, I just used the material that you would find with bed sheets - the character bedsheets.  =0)  The inside and pockets for the ice packs are made from a material that looks/feels like a swaddling blanket.  I used the swaddling blanket material for the pockets, because the bed sheet fabirc was too thin, but other fabrics were too thick (wouldn't allow the cool to get through the pocket nor the clothes he might be wearing).  It seems to work well . . . just don't use the permanent fabric glue - it's not so permanent when you wash the vest . . . works well on hems for pants, though.  =0) 

I have attached some pictures of the vest.  I'm nowhere near being a Martha Stewart, so please don't look too closely at the seams - I hand-sewed the vest because I am afraid of electric sewing machines . . . long story.  =0)

Hope it works for you!

Outside of the vest - the pockets on the outside are just for looks/little hands.  =0)

Inside of the vest - inside pocket for an icepack (there are 4 inside pockets - 2 on the front, 2 on the back)

I also made the vest a little big so that he can wear it a little longer.  I am in the process of putting adjustable straps on the outside of the vest so that I can make it fit a bit better (to make it more of a snug fit).  I'll post pictures when I finally get that done.  =0)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN