Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mastocytosis & Autism

Posted by on May. 6, 2009 at 2:32 PM
  • 2 Replies
  • 318 Total Views

Candice had her 3 year Pedi well baby on Friday.  It was determined that Candice does indeed have some Autistic Spectrum tendencies.  Especially Auditory Sensory issues.  She is going next Wednesday to a Pedi ENT for a hearing test and she has a referral in to TX Children's Meyers Center for a full evaluation.  She had her speech evaluated in Januray and was determined to be behind but they wanted to wait until June or July and retest her to "give her time to grow out of it".  This was through the public school system.  Doc wasn't too happy with that so she is going to have the full evaluation done at TX Children's and we are going to get a new Pedi Allergist at TX Children's too.  It's been a complicated mess with our old ones since Ike!  Crazy!

Anyone else have kiddos with Autistic tendencies?

www.tmsforacure.org/oldsite/studies.shtml

by on May. 6, 2009 at 2:32 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
mom2catieNmax
by on Jun. 30, 2009 at 1:10 PM

A friend of mine had a child who they thought was autistic. Turns out that she wasn't sleeping at night because she couldn't breathe and was so tired. She also couldn't hear very well. They took out her tonsils and adenoids and put tubes in her ears and she was perfect! Her speech was great, she could hear and she started sleeping at night because she could breathe. She was a different kid! They want to take out Max's tonsils and adenoids but with the Masto and reaction to anesthesia we are a little hesitant.

Giggleupagus
by on Jul. 2, 2009 at 1:06 PM

My son has been tentatively diagnosed with high functioning autism.  I say tentatively because our ped is convinced he has it.  I'm not 100% convinced, but I have seen some of the traits - I used to work with kids with autism before my son was born. 

I think it's good to get an evaluation.  Isaiah was evaluated by the school district, but not by pschiatrists/psychologists - I have been warned not to go there yet.  Isaiah just turned four, but is developmentally delayed by a year or so.  Cognitively, he is fine.  His speech and communication skills seem to be a tad behind . . . he also has trouble understanding - more of a sensory/auditory processing disorder.  He also has a hard time picking up on social cues.  He does have some repetitive behavior (he jumps a lot, runs around in a set pattern, walks on tip toes, and sometimes shakes hands/shakes his head).

I hope everything goes well at your appointment.  It's a difficult thing to hear that your child might have autism, but at least there are a lot of therapies out there with positive results.  We are using the RDI approach (Relationship Development Intervention), along with a few ABA things (Applied Behavioral Analysis).  In fact, one of the students I worked with has a therapist who uses RDI, and he has made great strides over the last year or so. 

Blessings

Kelly

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)