Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Has anyone had a child with mastocytosis and Sensory Issues?

Posted by on Sep. 15, 2009 at 2:51 PM
  • 3 Replies
  • 235 Total Views

Candice has had some sensory issues.  We really noticed big time on her 3rd birthday which was in March.  When everyone was singing happy birthday to her she held her hands to her ears and yelled for everyone to stop and be quiet it was too loud.  She has issues with most loud sounds and some with textures like she does not like grass to touch her skin at all!  Right now it is thought that she may possibly be on the Autisum spectrum with the sensory issues and she is awaiting an appt to be evaluated at the Myers Center here in Houston, TX.  Could take several months, it already has been.  I was just wondering if anyone had experienced this or something similar.  Thanks!

Del

www.ourstory.com/masto

by on Sep. 15, 2009 at 2:51 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
bellasmom870
by on Sep. 17, 2009 at 10:57 AM

Bella was like that when she was a little younger. Certain noises would freak her out like ice clinking in a cup and most loud noises. When she was one she didn't like grass either. The grass thing stopped after a month or so and noise stopped bothering her by the time she was one.

mastomommy
by Group Owner on Sep. 18, 2009 at 10:21 AM

Candice didn't start till she was nearly 3 (just before March) so I have no idea if it will go away but she is getting better about some of the sounds but not the grass at all.  What's funny is that sirens don't bother her at all.  It's almost like she doesn't even hear the firetrucks, ambulance, etc.  Strange.  Her hearing test showed that she can hear sounds that we cannot...thought that was strange too! lol  Wondering why she doesn't hear me then...just good at tuning my voice out especially when it's something to do with cleaning her room! lol 

fire_of_indy
by New Member on Jul. 21, 2011 at 11:35 AM
its the tones, i can hear most sounds others can not. Serten loud tones will hurt my ears, while some tones r vary hard to hear at all. Try changing your tone when u think she cant hear u.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)