Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

MY DAUGHTER TOO!!!

Posted by on Jan. 15, 2010 at 4:51 PM
  • 8 Replies
  • 256 Total Views

THIS IS KIND OF A VENT, I JUST FOUND OUT FOR SURE MY DAUGHTER HAS A HEARING LOSS.  THIS REALLY SUCKS CUZ MY SON DOES TOO.  SHE IS THREE AND A HALF AND I WANT TO KICK MYSELF IN THE ASS FOR NOT MORE CLOSELY WATCHING THIS.  SHE SEEMS FINE BUT THEN AGAIN I AM COMPARING HER TO MY HOH SON.  TODAY IS MY CRYING DAY AND I'LL HAVE TO MOVE ON TOMORROW BUT RIGHT NOW I AM JUST SO TIRED EMOTIONALLY , PHYSICALLY, MENTALLY OF ALL THE WORRY, AND EVERYTHING THAT GOES WITH SPECIAL NEEDS AND NOW TIMES THAT BY TWO. 

PLEASE LADIES SAY  A PRAYER FOR ME.

by on Jan. 15, 2010 at 4:51 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
FIVEHAPPYHEARTS
by New Member on Jan. 23, 2010 at 4:43 PM

wow I'm sorry knot for ur kids but at least you know Wat to do know love them as much as u can and remember god only gives u Wat u can Handel i hope u get her appointments in and get her hearing aids good luck send me a message if u need to talk i have a teenager who is deaf

silliesthilly
by New Member on Jan. 24, 2010 at 8:50 AM

Sorry you're dealing with this. 

I'm kinda in the same boat.  I have a genetic loss that usually doesn't show up till teens-20s.  So far of my six siblings and I, four of us have a loss and none of us till later.  Then my 6 month old was found to have a mild loss.  It IS a lot of work.  And the hard thing for us is we want 1-2 more more kids.  Our oldest daughter has tested fine... so far.  But we have no idea if/when she might lose her hearing too or if my son's will get worse like mine.  It's a lot to deal with. 

But being that you already have one with this special need, you are probably better equipped than most to help your daughter.  And there's something to be said for growing up with a sibling with the same special need.  Your son and daughter won't feel alone in their quiet world.  Best of luck!

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickersAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
livingangels
by New Member on Jan. 26, 2010 at 12:29 PM

we just found out yesterday that our 19 month old son has a mild to severe hearing loss. We have the sedated ABR on Feb 18 to see how much of a loss he has. We also have a 4 month old daughter who we are pretty sure has a hearing loss, but has  yet to be tested. I am lucky that there is a lot of deafness in the family so I already know sign, but Im in the same boat as you. Today is my crying day. Time to make different dreams for my children and to absorb what this means for our family and children. MY HEART GOES OUT TO YOU! You CAN do it!

lauraslefthook
by Member on Jan. 26, 2010 at 1:33 PM

Have your crying day so you can get it out of your system.  Then, move on and do what needs to be done for your children.

I am surprised one of the posters said their 4 month old had not been tested yet.  My daughter had hearing aids at 11 weeks old.  Maybe it is just the issue of getting in and getting the testing scheduled.  Our audiologist's goal is getting hearing aids if there is a loss by 3 months (I know the national association of audiologists' goal is 6 months.)

We have an audiology appointment today for a new earmold; the first one to break instead of be outgrown.  (She is five years old.)

Laura

livingangels
by New Member on Jan. 26, 2010 at 6:27 PM

She hasnt been tested yet because we just found out that her brother is hh yesterday. I got her test scheduled today though. I didnt know they even made hearing aids for children that small.

Quoting lauraslefthook:

Have your crying day so you can get it out of your system.  Then, move on and do what needs to be done for your children.

I am surprised one of the posters said their 4 month old had not been tested yet.  My daughter had hearing aids at 11 weeks old.  Maybe it is just the issue of getting in and getting the testing scheduled.  Our audiologist's goal is getting hearing aids if there is a loss by 3 months (I know the national association of audiologists' goal is 6 months.)

We have an audiology appointment today for a new earmold; the first one to break instead of be outgrown.  (She is five years old.)

Laura

lauraslefthook
by Member on Jan. 26, 2010 at 7:46 PM

I think that most people don't know that (even pediatricians) so that is why kids still get diagnosed late.  I have actually written in to Dr. Sears and asked that a part of his website be corrected because it said something about how old a kid had to be to get hearing aids.

It is actually easier to test the babies the younger they are because they naturally sleep much of the time and need to be asleep for the testing.  I remember nursing my daughter to sleep a couple times in order to finish the testing.

Laura

Laura
livingangels
by New Member on Jan. 27, 2010 at 10:21 AM

This is great information! Thanks!

Quoting lauraslefthook:

I think that most people don't know that (even pediatricians) so that is why kids still get diagnosed late.  I have actually written in to Dr. Sears and asked that a part of his website be corrected because it said something about how old a kid had to be to get hearing aids.

It is actually easier to test the babies the younger they are because they naturally sleep much of the time and need to be asleep for the testing.  I remember nursing my daughter to sleep a couple times in order to finish the testing.

Laura

nonni2
by Member on Jan. 28, 2010 at 11:38 AM

THAT IS WHEN MY SON WAS FIRST TESTED FOR HEARING LOSS. HE STARTED SPEECH AND SCHOOL RIGHT AWAY.  HE IS DOING WELL IN A REGULAR CLASS. I AM GLAD, BUT IT WASN'T EASY.  IT STILL ISN'T.   good luck to you

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN