Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

WHEN TALKING LOUDLY BECOMES YELLING

Posted by on Feb. 9, 2010 at 1:09 PM
  • 5 Replies
  • 249 Total Views

I AM HAVING DISCIPLINE ISSUES WITH MY SIX YEAR OLD SON.  HE IGNORES ME OR FLAT OUT REFUSES TO DO WHAT I SAY.  HE HAS A BILATERAL HEARING LOSS AND CAN HEAR WITH HIS HEARING AIDS WELL. OF COURSE THOUGHTS OF LOW BATTERIES, CLOGGING EAR WAX, EAR INFECTIONS, ETC CROSS MY MIND WHEN REASONING WHY HE IS NOT RESPONDING TO ME, BUT I REALLY THINK HE IS IGNORING ME. 

AND IS EASY FOR ME TO FEEL LIKE I AM YELLING AFTER REPEATING MYSELF FOR THE THIRD/FOURTH... TIME. 

I DON'T WANT TO TREAT HIM "SPECIAL" BUT I DON'T KNOW....  I DON'T WANT TO BE TOO TOUGH. 

ARE YOU TOO SOFT OR TOO HARD ON YOUR HOH KIDS?

by on Feb. 9, 2010 at 1:09 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
gigi-rn
by Member on Feb. 10, 2010 at 7:47 AM

I have the same problem with my three year old.  It is hard to discipline them and I get frustrated a lot. We use total communication so I use voice and sign.  After speaking with teacher of the deaf she said you have to treat her as you would a hearing child. I would face her, repeat and sign again to her and if she doesnt listen then it is off to the time out chair:(  I hate it and she use to spend what felt like all day on the chair.....but now it is irregular for her to even go which is nicer for us.  BTW they say 1 minute per a year so she would only sit for 3 minutes.  I know it seems hard and you dont want to seem too tough but if you allow them to get away with things because they are ignoring you it is making life hard on them.  It stinks but when they get older they will use that as an excuse:(

brolyx429
by New Member on Feb. 14, 2010 at 10:16 AM

I never seem to get this discipline thing right with my all boy 2 year old. He loves to destroy and destruct but I just can't seem to side track any of it. It doesn't help when my oldest who has no hearing loss likes to egg him into doing bad things she knows she would get in trouble for and that he would get into trouble if I knew how to handle it. He can't hear without his hearing aids so of course when he gets frustrated out comes the hearing aids usually tucked into a tiny hole where I can't find them. My oldest is now trying to say that she can't hear without her earrings so this has been fun. Long long road :-)

albericcilafall
by New Member on Feb. 15, 2010 at 2:34 AM

soo how do u disapline him? i have a 2 year old dat wont listen fo nothing he does alot of stuff he knows he not suppose to i do  sign to him all da time also speak well i yell thinking if id yell hed listen... but it works for a sec then he goes back doing it.. somtimes i thkn he does it to see me act upon it.. its even worse when i just brought a newborn in da house.... he will isten to everybody else even at daycare but when it comes to me it aint da same... how do i get him to listen to me or even understand dat mommy is mad or upset when he does it hes only 2 i mean with a hearing child they can tell by da tone of ur voice a deaf kid cant...

aramat
by Member on Feb. 15, 2010 at 8:15 AM

I have a 5 yr old moderate/severe HOH and a 2,1 yr old hearing ....all boys!!!   I learned he was conditioned for people repeating to him and he expected it, I now tell him "I'm only going to tell you this once" insert here what you need them to do then I give him a choice ...for example: "I'm only going to tell you once pick up your toys or go into time out. "   I have eye contact with him while doing this, it is difficult because I have 2 other little ones that need me too, but if I don't stop and take the time to be down at his level with eye contact then I can't be sure he "heard and understood" me.. I started putting him in timeout when he turned 1 and have done the same with the other 2 children, I also have a BS in Elementary Education and a minor in Early Childhood, ps when he starts "acting out" I always check his hearing aid batteries

sarahmcg
by New Member on Feb. 19, 2010 at 5:16 PM

All kids at this age have to "test the water". The will be perfect angels for other people and be monsters with thier parents. I have 3 kids, I get this all the time. Decide what kind of disipline you want to use with him, and be consistant, It helps a lot. Also kids can tell when you are upset or mad, they can read it all over your face, its not just the tone of your voice. whether you use your voice or you use sign, it will take time but he will get the idea. Good luck.

baby
baby development
Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)