Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Hi, my name is Sarah, I am studying to become a speech pathologist. One of my assignment is to take part in a discussion about deafness. I would love to get your opinons, or thoughts about using hearing aids or cochlear implants. I am also working with a child right now how has hearing aids, so any information I can get would be great. Thank you in advance.

baby
baby development
Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker
by on Feb. 11, 2010 at 8:48 PM
Replies (11-11):
nonni2
by Member on Feb. 25, 2010 at 1:48 PM

good luck to you.  my son is now 61/2 years old and speaks very clearly although not very smoothly.  he has a bilateral moderate/severe hearing loss. he was diagnosed at 22 months, started regularly wearing hearing aids at 3 years old when he had a vocab of maybe 40 words tops.   he no longer goes to speech.  he is mainstreamed and is doing well.  he saw a speech therapist an hour a week for three school years.  she was awesome. she gave me goals to work on at home, expectations, tongue depressors, worksheets, etc... she even suggested better hearing aids to get the S sound .    we chose oral education over total comm. ci were not an option. he did start with sign though, and i still want him to learn it.

my daughter got her hearing aids yesterday, mild loss, not sure if speech will be necessary

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN