Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

HOW DO YOU MAKE YOUR KID KEEP IT ON.

Posted by on Mar. 4, 2010 at 7:21 PM
  • 5 Replies
  • 228 Total Views

YOU KNOW....MY DAUGHTER WILL NOT KEEP HER HEARING AID ON FOR MORE THAN 45 MINUTES. IT HAS BEEN A WEEK NOW AND IT GOES ON AND OFF ALL DAY LONG. MOSTLY OFF. SHE TAKES IT OFF AND PUTS IT IN HER ROOM, IN HER CAN SEAT. ..I CAN FIND IT EASILY BUT STILL.     SHE IS A DRAMA QUEEN SO I AM NOT SURE IF IT REALLY BOTHERS HER, SHE WAS OKAY THE FIRST DAY, BUT........ ANY SUGGESTIONS???

by on Mar. 4, 2010 at 7:21 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
lauraslefthook
by Member on Mar. 4, 2010 at 10:03 PM

How old is she?  If she is young, perhaps you can do something special that requires hearing aids to be in to do to help build up the time that they are in. 

If she is old enough to talk about it, can you ask her about it?  Perhaps the aids need to be adjusted because the setting is not quite right or the ear mold is uncomfortable.  Or maybe she just needs to get used to them. 

If she is older, you can set times the hearing aids must be worn, but also let her have time to have them off.  When they are off she has to put them in your hands or a designated spot.  My daughter is getting to the age in which she sometimes wants to have breakfast before we put on her hearing aids.

I have heard that some kids need time to build up to having the hearing aids in.  (Since my daughter was 11 weeks old when she got hers she was too young to need that building up time.)

Laura

Laura
nonni2
by Member on Mar. 5, 2010 at 7:59 PM

MY DAUGHTER IS 31/2 AND SHE'LL TELL ME WHERE THEY ARE, BUT I GUESS SHE STILL NEEDS TO GET USED TO THEM.  SHE SAYS THE RADIO IS TOO LOUD IN THE CAR OR MY SINGING IS TOO LOUD.  SHE HAS A FEW WEEKS BEFORE SHE SEE THE AUDIOLOGIST AGAIN.  I MAY BE IN DENIAL THAT SHE ACTUALLY NEEDS THEM.

Vashtiruescode3
by on Mar. 5, 2010 at 10:41 PM

You audiologist should have given you a wearing schedule - sure you want her to wear them all the time, but it takes time for them to get used to hearing aids at any age. If she is saying that things are too loud with her HA's, then there is a good chance that you are right and she doesn't need them for all the time. What is her diagnosis for hearing loss? Is there a toggle switch on her aids that you can turn the volume down with? That might help with sounds being too loud if you have it and can turn them down.

I also agree with Lauraslefthook - tell her that she has to wear them for this amount of time, then she can have them off for a while. A little bit of bribery might also work since she is just old enough to understand that she can't have this thing until she wears those for a set amount of time.

My DD is 21 months and it took her about a week to get used to her HA's - but hasn't worn them since Feb 10th. On Feb 11th, she got her cochlear implants (both ears). Of course, I would keep her super occupied after I put her HA's on her, so that she was doing something with her hands other than messing with her ears. Our docs told us to let her wear them for all waking hours, but to warm her up to them. The first couple of days, she wore them for about 6 hours total, then I upped it by an hour, and then upped it again to most of the day after about 5 days. By day 9, she was asking for them.

aramat
by Member on Mar. 6, 2010 at 7:35 AM

my son was 2 1/2 when he got his hearing aids, what worked great for him is for the first week we  told him when he watched TV he would need to wear the hearing aids, after a week he noticed he could hear better with them and didnt want them taken off, he does now say something is too loud, but that is only when he doesn't want to watch/hear it

nonni2
by Member on Mar. 6, 2010 at 1:43 PM

Quoting Vashtiruescode3:

You audiologist should have given you a wearing schedule - sure you want her to wear them all the time, but it takes time for them to get used to hearing aids at any age. If she is saying that things are too loud with her HA's, then there is a good chance that you are right and she doesn't need them for all the time. What is her diagnosis for hearing loss? Is there a toggle switch on her aids that you can turn the volume down with? That might help with sounds being too loud if you have it and can turn them down.

I also agree with Lauraslefthook - tell her that she has to wear them for this amount of time, then she can have them off for a while. A little bit of bribery might also work since she is just old enough to understand that she can't have this thing until she wears those for a set amount of time.

My DD is 21 months and it took her about a week to get used to her HA's - but hasn't worn them since Feb 10th. On Feb 11th, she got her cochlear implants (both ears). Of course, I would keep her super occupied after I put her HA's on her, so that she was doing something with her hands other than messing with her ears. Our docs told us to let her wear them for all waking hours, but to warm her up to them. The first couple of days, she wore them for about 6 hours total, then I upped it by an hour, and then upped it again to most of the day after about 5 days. By day 9, she was asking for them.

well she has a mild hearing loss in one ear and a moderate severe in the other.  we are waiting for the hearing aid for the worse ear.  but you know, she has been tested a total of three times. once a before ear tubes and twice after. the last two tests both audiologists were unable to complete the test on the worse ear.   i really think she can hear in that ear better than tested. i can whisper and she can hear me(in that ear)  my son who has mod/severe hearing loss is unable to hear a loud voice unaided.    she has been tested by three diff audiologists.       she will be tested again soon, we 'll see if my motherly instincts are right or not. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)