Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

genetic testing anyone???

Posted by on Jan. 18, 2011 at 12:45 PM
  • 2 Replies
  • 183 Total Views

We tried , but our ins doesn't cover it and it cost too much at this time.  

Is it worth it?  Has anyone had their children tested?

by on Jan. 18, 2011 at 12:45 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
MOMOF2G1B
by New Member on Apr. 25, 2011 at 5:50 PM

I had my son tested and it was free throuh ucla in los angeles you had to participate in a reseach study  group. He was tested and wasnt found to have any genetic link to his hearing loss. Hope that helps.

silliesthilly
by New Member on Apr. 26, 2011 at 12:47 PM

I want to badly... our family has never had testing done but we have a STRONG genetic link over 5 generations now.  And I'm the only affected female we know of.  But we have no idea what exactly the issue is- we don't know if/when my kids might be affected.  I have inquired with my family doc who never got us more info as promised as well as our ENT (same deal)- my family doc actually said he'd only refer if it was a matter of "family planning" as in we have a genetic issue and that would impact whether or not we continued a pregnancy... ouch, great thing to a say to a mom with HI with one kid already with HI. 

We've recently moved so once we find a new doctor I'm going to push it again.  It's not just good to know for ME and MY family but for my siblings and the family at large to know what the issue is, the prevalence etc.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)